New sPitt Panthers logo

BroadSt_Bully

Pitt looked great with the mustard and blue, then they decided to try and look like Notre Dame. Pitt had a good thing. Hopefully they can return to those Mustard years of yore.

Pitt used dark blue and old gold up until the early 50's, the shade of gold then changed every few years with the switch to royal blue in the 70's.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a perfect example of how there are a ton of people out there who just know how to use Illustrator but they can't draw at all. They're not artists, they just bought a program that is very easy to use.

Illustrator makes it easy to look "well rendered" when it's just a really bad drawing.

This logo stinks.

COMPLETELY agree. There is so much more to it than simply mastering that crazy pen tool. The most difficult thing about the tonal comicbook-style logos of today is that people just throw curvy pointed shapes out there for no reason. It's like neuvo-tribal tattoos gone horribly awry. In this instance the lighter color is functioning as highlight on the forehead and then, shadow in the mouth? Say what?

Aw.Ful. Slowly but surely this stuff is going to be the end of me (and maybe anyone else trying to get a name in this field). I can't take it anymore. At this point, I would sacrifice EVER getting another logo gig in my entire life, if only everyone would run their ideas past me before unveiling them. I keep thinking that is where the CCLSC could make hay, if ever there were hay to be made. Fine...we won't DO your logo. Just let us check it for defects first at least. Like an Ultrasound!

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

Wow, that thing looks exactly like my dog

...well other than the really long teeth.

EDIT- nevermind

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

why is the tongue darker than the shadows in the mouth?...and why are the shadows in the mouth the same color as the highlights on the head?...and what in the world are those two bottom teeth toward the back of the mouth?...i've never seen a cat with so many canines...something tells me this is not the genuine article...hopefully

jldesigns404eo.png

why is the tongue darker than the shadows in the mouth?...and why are the shadows in the mouth the same color as the highlights on the head?...and what in the world are those two bottom teeth toward the back of the mouth?...i've never seen a cat with so many canines...something tells me this is not the genuine article...hopefully

It's legit.

All I can say is it's better than the Dino-Cat. Also the main reason they ditched the script Pitt and will never bring it back full time for the sports teams is because the copyright for it is owned by the University and not the Athletic Department. All of the money from merchandise and such went to the school and was then handed down to the Athletic Dept., Steve Pederson(who did a lot of good and bad there) wanted control of that money so he ditched the script Pitt for the torch-cut Pittsburgh and Dino-Cat.

The Pitt Dogs. **LOL**

That Pederson guy was a clown who has left a wake of destruction everywhere he has worked. What a tool. Good to see he still failing in his current job.

Pitt looked great with the mustard and blue, then they decided to try and look like Notre Dame. Pitt had a good thing. Hopefully they can return to those Mustard years of yore.

Pitt used dark blue and old gold up until the early 50's, the shade of gold then changed every few years with the switch to royal blue in the 70's.

Yeah, but the mustard and royal look was what they became known for. Won titles with it, Marino, Dorsett, etc.... The glory days of Pitt football. It was distinctive. Now, like the other guy said, they just look like every other navy and sparkly gold team does.

Even though I went to Pitt, I never felt strongly about the "Dino-Cat" one way or the other. I feel the same way about this new version. But maybe that's because I'm a dog person.

Besides looking like a dog instead of a feline, it is a well rendered logo.

Obviously, it's not a well-rendered logo if it doesn't resemble what it's supposed to be. The style of the logo is nice, but the rendering of the Panther isn't.

Assuming this is legitimate, they have managed to go from one horrendous logo to another equally horrendous logo. Any advantage this one gained by having cleaner lines is negated by the fact that is does not look at all like the animal it purports to be.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Quote from blog, "After a tremendous amount of fan input clamoring for the script Pitt logo, we decided to take the existing Dino-Cat and smooth the edges in Adobe Photoshop. The computer program did a swell job of negating the bias of our loyal fans and rendering a hyena-dog hybrid. Our football team stinks like cat :censored: and plays like bitches, so the new brand reflects our identity perfectly." Hahahahahaha. No offense to any Pitt fans out there from me. I am thankful to Pitt for giving my Jets Darelle Reevis.

It's official... here's the e-mail sent out to boosters a short time ago...

Dear Panther Club Member,

It is with great enthusiasm that I reintroduce to you our updated Panther Head logo that will serve as a secondary logo to our primary arched block-style PITT. Later this afternoon, we will be publicly announcing that this updated Panther Head logo will permanently replace the torch-cut Panther Head first unveiled in 1997.

We have been known as Pitt for more than a century and that name and logo will continue to be our primary identity and the featured mark on the uniforms for each of the University of Pittsburgh's 19 intercollegiate teams. After receiving consistent public feedback however, the time is right for us to reintroduce our Panther Head logo with a more refined, contemporary look and one that is easily reproduced and recognized.

Before making this announcement publicly later today, I want to directly share this news with you and all of our Panther Club members who continue to generously contribute to Pitt Athletics in support of our more than 452 Student-Athletes. Certainly a copy of the press release will be available on our website at www.pittsburghpanthers.com this afternoon. Additionally, beginning on Monday, July 2, merchandise with our updated Panther Head logo will be available in our Team Store located in the lobby of the Petersen Events Center and on our online store at www.pittsburghpanthers.com.

Once again, thank you for your great support of Pitt Athletics!

Hail To Pitt,

Jeff Long

Director of Athletics

Archived