Slate on U.S. Soccer's "Growing Uniform Crisis"

BallWonk

I say bring back the red D.T.O.M. jersey, re-color the current shield so it isn't backwards & use that on it, and then leave the snake logo on which ever sleeve won't have the World Cup patch on it.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd also like to beg and plead for U.S. Soccer to formally adopt Nike's rattlesnake crest.

I second this motion. It's a million times better than the mis-colored shield.

Strong, bold, distinctive and uniquely American.

I'm going to disagree here. Not with the idea that it's a better logo. But since most national team crests are the logos of the nation's federation, I can't see US Soccer going with that as an organizational logo.

sounds familiar:

xinsrc_57206030910451871852714.jpg

bzzt, not going to happen.

harperdc.gif

I'd also like to beg and plead for U.S. Soccer to formally adopt Nike's rattlesnake crest.

I second this motion. It's a million times better than the mis-colored shield.

Strong, bold, distinctive and uniquely American.

I'm going to disagree here. Not with the idea that it's a better logo. But since most national team crests are the logos of the nation's federation, I can't see US Soccer going with that as an organizational logo.

The "Don't Tread" concept extends further back than Nike. Not that it has to replace any current crests, but is definately a way to create a unique identity. Everyone start bringing this flag to USMNT games!

http://www.gadsden.info/history.html

250px-Gadsden_flag.svg.png

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

yes, but what Mockba is saying is that the crest on the uniform is - beyond being that logo for the team and merchandise - is also a crest that goes on the official website, on official letterheads, on business cards...for the US Soccer Association. The FA uses the English Three Lion crest that also features on the jerseys; the KNVB uses the lion, FFF uses their cockerel logo.

I tend to agree. It's a great jersey logo, but is it something you want on all the official documentation and everything else? I'm not convinced.

what I do know, though, is that the current crest sucks and needs replacement.

harperdc.gif

just because a lot of other countries do something, the usa doesn't have to.

i see no problem with making an official "USA Soccer" logo that's used on official documents, but isn't the crest on national team's jersey.

DTOM is a GREAT crest idea, and actually polarized me into some serious world cup patriotism... and i'm rarely a very "rah rah usa usa" person.

Agreed.

Personally, I think the US should go back to the white shirt, red sash. Unique in world football, instantly identifiable.

Apart from Peru and River Plate? Its hardly unique.

liverpool-1.png

I wouldn't count River Plate, since it's league and not a national club.

Peru hasn't qualified for the World Cup in decades. I think there's plenty of opportunity for the US to stake out its brand there.

Peru has qulified thrice since 1970, when they started using the design (although not for a quarter-century now). With Claudio Pizzaro now on the English-speaking scene and the U.S. in Copa America, I think more and more American soccer fans will be aware of Peru's kit design.

Yes? No?

Very nice. Besides being a more accurate representation of the flag, it just looks a little sharper.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I did a similar workup a few years back (Pantone was kind enough to supply me with the official colors of the US flag).

That's much better, but it's still not great.

Peru hasn't qualified for the World Cup in decades.

Peru has qulified thrice since 1970, when they started using the design (although not for a quarter-century now).

Yeah, that's what I said. :P

Definitely much better. How the other logo got approved is embarrassing. "Blue and white stripes, and stars on a red background? Sure, good enough for me."

Although I'm not crazy about the shooting soccer ball. Looks a little silly and disrupts the "US".

I was definitely going about it the wrong way in finding pictures of the one I mentioned a while back, but here are my personal favorites.

InductionClassof2005USA.jpg

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I threw this together after drawing a little inspiration from the 1994 World Cup logo...

570517602_871be04056_o.gif

Love the "starball" concept...I agree on fixing the lettering, otherwise I think this is a winner.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

Archived