Slate on U.S. Soccer's "Growing Uniform Crisis"

BallWonk

I don't think so. the NFL doesn't get new jerseys every year...nor does the NBA, MLB, NHL, NASCAR, or anybody else. The tradition of changing uniforms routinely is more on European soccer from the mid-90s to now than from American sports.

harperdc.gif

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the feedback guys, how does this look?

571144854_fcbd4886b6_o.gif

Just my personal preference, but rather than "U.S. Soccer" how about just a "U.S." or "U.S.A." or even "United States"? I think including the word "soccer" is unnecessary since there's already a big soccer ball on the crest, I think that makes it obvious enough.

Otherwise it looks fantastic.

usabluesliversmalldy6.png

Simple, clean and classy. Much better than Nike's lame-ass attempt to pander to the disaffected, teen skate-punk crowd with the meld of American Revolution history and self-consciously "edgy" aggro graphics that was the "DTOM" campaign.

570517602_871be04056_o.gif

Again, a far better US Soccer badge/logo idea than Nike's "DTOM" pap.

Bottom line? The "DTOM" snake logo should be relegated to where it belongs: the bargain bins at Nike factory outlets and the close-out racks at Marshalls and TJ Maxx stores.

Or maybe "USSF."

My thought too. However, if my understanding is correct, that isn't the name of the organization any more. It's just "U.S. Soccer."

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Just my personal preference, but rather than "U.S. Soccer" how about just a "U.S." or "U.S.A." or even "United States"? I think including the word "soccer" is unnecessary since there's already a big soccer ball on the crest, I think that makes it obvious enough.

Otherwise it looks fantastic.

Or maybe "USSF."

As for the recolor, I like it, except that I'd probably leave the "US" as red.

"USSF" would fit with the traditional pattern for national team crests, at least when they include a wordmark. Failing that, a full "United States" would look good.

Edit:

Also, according to Wikipedia, it's still "US Soccer Federation". How about we bring back the "United States Soccer Football Association"?

There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Good point - "United States" might look really good across the top.

Still, it's a huge improvement.

I agree. Go with United States to fill the space better. Otherwise, it's looking really good.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

Thanks for the feedback guys, how does this look?

571144854_fcbd4886b6_o.gif

I think this is looking good--I think I agree with those who suggest using "United States" rather than "U.S. Soccer." I'm not sure if I'm convinced of the font yet, but it still looks okay. Anyway, make it work.

Here's my entry into the US back recoloration sweepstakes that I posted a while back.

US-Soccer-Updated.jpg

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

The latest update...

576540002_5cfa22d980_o.gif

Make it bigger, put it on a t-shirt, and I'll buy it. Damn, that's nice. I'd love to see that adorn our soccer kits.

And despite BIB's anger, I still love the DTOM snake. Taken as a logo, and not as a part of whatever marketing campaign Nike was doing, I find it to be clean, simple, and effective - in other words, the opposite of the usual "XXXtreme" teen pandering.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I don't think so. the NFL doesn't get new jerseys every year...nor does the NBA, MLB, NHL, NASCAR, or anybody else. The tradition of changing uniforms routinely is more on European soccer from the mid-90s to now than from American sports.

That's incorrect. Let's just take the NFL for example. Since 2000, nearly all of the teams have altered their uniforms and/or added an alt uniform. This year we will see a major change from the Chargers and a minor change from the Dolphins.

I would submit that every year in the NFL, MLB, and NBA, at least one team changes it's look. Why? Merchandise sales. If they're not selling, they'll be changing.

so most every team has changed their jerseys in six years? I submit to you European soccer, where they change (at the latest) every other year, with many teams changing every single season.

that's different than one or two teams getting their ten-year oil change and refreshing of their uniforms.

harperdc.gif

The latest update...

576540002_5cfa22d980_o.gif

I'd like to see with stars replacing the blue panels. Or even a blue one with white stars on it.

Yeah, blue ball with white stars, though we're treading awfully close to the Champions League.

There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Here's my entry into the US back recoloration sweepstakes that I posted a while back.

US-Soccer-Updated.jpg

Now it looks nice, except the US and flying ball still look kinda dumb. The ball should be over the stripes, and there should be a new word mark entirely. USA might look nice.

EDIT: Never mind, I made my own.

usa1rb4.png

There's 11 stars, 'cause y'know 11 players on a team. I also used a varsity font because while maybe varsity style letters aren't an American invention, they sure are an American tradition.

Quest2copy.pngnflseattlelr4.png

fifaunitedstateschampsnc4.pngTottenhamHotspur.png

I disagree about the stars. Given that "stars and stripes" is such a part of the national identity, including the flag, I can't see how you could exclude them. And it's not unprecedented. Ghana, for example, whose team is nicknamed the "Black Stars":

3.jpg

Well, let's all agree that going to something like what the women's national team just unveiled would be a bad idea, mmmkay?

ussoccerstore_1955_2547942.gif

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Archived