IHL brought back to life

Dilbert

I was going to post this too, but I wasn't sure it was big enough for many to care.

I live by one of the teams (Flint Generals) and I'm really hoping that we'll join the CHL or ECHL. Like people have said Tony Lisman (Muskegon) and Fort Wayne (Franke family) control the league. The Generals were sold since the 10th of June and the "league" (fort wayne) put a gag order on the announcement so they could announce it tonight in Vegas. Most of the decision the league does is stupid, and by allowing goonery it's stooped to a new low. I do like to see a good fight once in a while, but making it all about fighting to just get the dollar is crap. I don't mind seeing a fight or two, but first and formost I want to see good, skillful hockey. It's going to become the american version of the LNAH.

I am excited with the Generals though. I think the new owners will get more corperate support and having owner like Bob Perani (owner of the largest independent hockey retailer in the world) and especially Kris Draper is a bonus for a low league minor hockey team.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, three of the teams were from the old IHL (at some point at least). OK! In time, they should bring back the Detroit Vipers, Orlando Solar Bears and Kansas City Blades! :D

Oh, and BRING BACK THE BLADES!!!

Please, don't let them use the Turner Cup.

I do miss the Kansas City Blades though.

I always like the Blades' original logo, a blade made from "KC". I still hold out [irrational] hope that any future NHL team in KC would bring that back.

There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

What really raises my ire are these announced rule changes:

- The instigator penalty has been eliminated except during the final five minutes of a game.

- In regards to secondary altercations, players will receive a 10-minute misconduct as opposed to a game misconduct.

Make no mistake - these rules are designed to encourage and promote fighting in the league. Goons and thugs whose style of play has mercifully eroded over the past couple decades will be encouraged once again to "get chippy" with the knowledge that lesser repercussions await them for repeated drops of the gloves, or for cocking the fist while the other guy still has his gloves on.

Agreed. I don't like where this is going, either.

I hope to God this fake I-league doesn't receive permission to award the Turner Cup, the trophy I saw hoisted high and skated across the ice in front of 18,000 howling fans in 1998, in the league that taught me a love of hockey I hadn't known before. If the words "Bloomington PrairieThunder" get etched on the side of that, I'm taking a trip up to Toronto and throwing up in the bowl.

Agreed. I never got to see the Admirals hoist the Turner Cup, but we chased it for many years. I'd hate to see it tarnished.

I'm not a fan of leagues re-using names of old leagues just to try to get a bump in name recognition and credibility. Just put a stable, quality product out there and make your own reputation.

American Association, are you listening?

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

All the "bring back" cries bring back memories of when the IHL, while not always International, at least was a minor league in a lot of really big markets, around the mid 1990s:

Kansas City Blades

Cincinnati Cyclones

Denver/Utah Grizzlies

Salt Lake Golden Eagles

Milwaukee Admirals

Houston Aeros

Phoenix Roadrunners

Las Vegas Thunder

San Diego Gulls/Los Angeles Ice Dogs

Minnesota/Manitoba Moose

Cleveland Lumberjacks

Indianapolis Ice

Detroit Vipers

Chicago Wolves

Orlando Solar Bears

San Francisco Spiders

San Antonio Dragons

Quebec Rafales

and the team I used to go see: the Atlanta Knights

That was a heck of a line-up....

It is what it is.

Anybody have any info on how all-time recorsd are going to be kept? i.e. most goals in IHL history or something along those lines. I think there's three ways they could handle this:

1) Use the old IHL records (I sincerely hope not)

2) Start from scratch

3) Maintain existing UHL records.

And is the Colonial Cup still around? I really hope the Turner Cup stays put away, this is the IHL in name only. B-Rich illustrates a great point in listing all those teams, the IHL was as wide spread as the NHL. The more I think about this, the less I like this hijacking of the IHL moniker. <_<

I'm almost positive that they'll use the UHL records.....same goes from the Colonial Cup, I'm almost positive that they'll keep it and not change to the turner cup.

They better keep the Turner Cup in the HHOF. It's a great trophy, I'm glad the Vipers were able to get on it.

howe_gordie_oct97.jpg

I was at that game. He played about :20, it was the home opener, we lost to the Blades by a goal. :cry:

*rubs head*

Let me get this straight. To save their bus league, they went back in time when they were IN the IHL?

George Bush Sr. For League Commish!

Every team has Survivor or Winger playing the national anthems. They're cheap, they're available and looking for steady jobs as ticket takers.

I miss the old IHL. I went to the IHL all star game back in the mid 90's for my birthday. Man that was fun. And everytime I would go watch the Aeros play the Wolves, we would lose, and if i didnt go, we would beat them. I would hate to see teh Turner Cup be brought into this wanna be IHL. I remember seeing a couple of epsodes of Home Improvement where Tim or one of his kids would be wearing a Vipers shirt. The AHL is ok, but there are too many northeastern teams. The IHL seemed to be spread out more nationwide. It was awesome to see a sold out Compaq Center for minor league hockey games in Texas.

All the "bring back" cries bring back memories of when the IHL, while not always International, at least was a minor league in a lot of really big markets, around the mid 1990s:

Kansas City Blades

Cincinnati Cyclones

Denver/Utah Grizzlies

Salt Lake Golden Eagles

Milwaukee Admirals

Houston Aeros

Phoenix Roadrunners

Las Vegas Thunder

San Diego Gulls/Los Angeles Ice Dogs

Minnesota/Manitoba Moose

Cleveland Lumberjacks

Indianapolis Ice

Detroit Vipers

Chicago Wolves

Orlando Solar Bears

San Francisco Spiders

San Antonio Dragons

Quebec Rafales

and the team I used to go see: the Atlanta Knights

That was a heck of a line-up....

Which is why the NHL began to consider it as the "pariah" league and tried to distance itself during the late 90s...

Please don't let them use the Turner Cup for "LNAH South"

Anyway, they are yearning for an even earlier IHL. The IHL of the 1970s and early 1980s (before they took in the Salt Lake Golden Eagles of the old CHL) that was a small Midwestern bus league.

Oh...

AND BRING BACK THE CHOPPERS!!!

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Oh...

AND BRING BACK THE CHOPPERS!!!

A more glorious half-season of hockey has not been seen since - with the possible exception of the Columbus Stars.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Bring back the Flags!!

Seriously, I bought a game-worn Flags jersey in May, then the team collapsed two weeks later. Glad I didn't wait until this coming season. :hockeysmiley:

Port Huron Icehawks doesn't sound that bad, though. But that paragraph they have on their website about "The Legend of IceHawks in Port Huron" is sooooo cheesy. :lol:

Bloodhound.gif

felix_thinking_zps5e4863e9.gif?t=1380931

The UHL/IHL is going to be terrrrrrible... With only six team, they just lost a lot of their visas, if not perhaps all of them.

My guess is that Bloomington is going to get kicked out of their arena (like Chicago did a few weeks ago) and the USHL jumps in there. There is no schedule, no arena dates reserved, and Port Huron is at the moment a paper franchise with no lease - they should have been called the Zombies, given that market's record of support. Everything else being said about the league and people involved is pretty much dead on.

Marc

Archived