IHL brought back to life

Dilbert

I remember going to a Knights game versus the Cyclones, when the Cincy coach jumped over the glass to beat the crap out of the Knight's mascot.

I was so filled with joy. I hated that inflatable thing. All it did was pound its head against the glass between periods. Annoying.

I was also around for the first game Manon Rheaume started. Still have the program...

Ah, memories... but I still hate it when fans at Thrashers games yell "Knights" in the middle of the anthem. They were a minor-league team that died over 10 years ago. Get over it!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember going to a Knights game versus the Cyclones, when the Cincy coach jumped over the glass to be the crap out of the Knight's mascot.

I was so filled with joy. I hated that inflatable thing. All it did was pound its head against the glass between periods. Annoying.

Don Jackson vs. Sir Slapshot... one of the epic fights in hockey.

Jackson had recently had back surgery and was still in a lot of pain. He'd stand on the bench and lean against the back glass. The mascot came bouncing down the stairs and slammed against the glass, knocking Jackson over... and awaaaaaaaaaay they went.

Marc

Phoenix / Salt Lake City / San Diego

The trio of teams that had games/clashes that could put games in Slap Shot to shame.

Goverde / Mozzatti goalie brawl.

I first went to IHL games when the Saginaw Hawks and Flint Spirits were still around. Back when Ed Belfour was in goal for the Hawks (I still have his rookie card).

I went to lots of Vipers games over the years, including the last game they ever played. What a great hockey team they had for so many years.

Bloodhound.gif

felix_thinking_zps5e4863e9.gif?t=1380931

The UHL/IHL is going to be terrrrrrible... With only six team, they just lost a lot of their visas, if not perhaps all of them.

My guess is that Bloomington is going to get kicked out of their arena (like Chicago did a few weeks ago) and the USHL jumps in there. There is no schedule, no arena dates reserved, and Port Huron is at the moment a paper franchise with no lease - they should have been called the Zombies, given that market's record of support. Everything else being said about the league and people involved is pretty much dead on.

Marc

I think Bloomington will stick around, mainly because the USHL doesn't strike me as a viable option for Bloomington either.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The UHL/IHL is going to be terrrrrrible... With only six team, they just lost a lot of their visas, if not perhaps all of them.

My guess is that Bloomington is going to get kicked out of their arena (like Chicago did a few weeks ago) and the USHL jumps in there. There is no schedule, no arena dates reserved, and Port Huron is at the moment a paper franchise with no lease - they should have been called the Zombies, given that market's record of support. Everything else being said about the league and people involved is pretty much dead on.

Marc

I think Bloomington will stick around, mainly because the USHL doesn't strike me as a viable option for Bloomington either.

yea espically with indy being a free agent at the end of the 07-08 season, WHO WANTS INDY IN THERE HOCKEY LEAGUE??? ANY TAKERS?????

Marc

yea espically with indy being a free agent at the end of the 07-08 season, WHO WANTS INDY IN THERE HOCKEY LEAGUE??? ANY TAKERS?????

Assuming it's still around...the IHL.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived