New Washington Capital Uniforms to be Unveiled Tomorrow

m0sherman

I know there is already a thread about this somewhere, but I can't find it - my apologies.

The Capitals are having an unveiling ceremony tomorrow (Friday, June 22) at their practice facility in Arlington, VA. Here is the design that is circulating:

new-caps-jersey.jpg

I think it's an upgrade over the current threads, but falls far short of the classic uniforms. The club took a great design and tried to get too cute. It reminds me a lot of the new Charger uniforms in that respect. Here's to hoping it's just a prototype.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After the fantastic Bruins unveiling, the Caps better not disappoint. And by the looks of that promo, it seems like they might.

By the way, good idea starting a new thread, since the other one is getting pretty muddled with all the Bruins stuff.

As would I.

But as I said on the other thread, the Bruins have shown us that the awful Reebok All-Star template isn't mandatory. Any team that goes with an overly complicated and goofy design does so because they want to, not because Reebok is forcing them to.

I'd like to think there's room enough in the NHL for both traditional uniform designs AND overly complicated and goofy designs. :D

Personally, I would have been fairly disappointed if the Caps had gone with something "traditional" like the Minnesota alts. The Caps don't have that long a history, so other than trying to re-establish some kind of identity with the logos/colors, I don't think there's any reason to maintain allegiance to the ideal of only-horizontal-stripes. We know now that horizontal stripes are going to work just fine with the Reebok jerseys, so now that we don't have to worry about Montreal or Detroit having to completely change their uniforms, I'm actually really looking forward to seeing what some of the vertical stripe designs look like. Maybe it'll end up as just another phase, like diagonal stripes were in the nineties; then again, maybe some cool and lasting uniform designs will come out of it.

What I can't stand is the endless piping and inset blocks of the All-Star jerseys, which appear to have infected the Caps.

Well, apart from the side panels, the Admirals' striping scheme is still fairly traditional.

And in fairness to the Caps, I think "endless piping and inset blocks" is a little bit of a stretch in describing what little of the jerseys we've seen, unless you think any use of piping or inset blocks at all is too much. I don't think piping and inset blocks are evils in and of themselves, it's how they're used. As with the non-traditional striping in the nineties - some teams used it fairly well (Washington), and some teams didn't (NY Islanders).

I don't understand why some teams cannot keep a design simple.

I cannot stand striping that is out of place or just makes a jersey too busy and/or ugly.

Hopefully that isn't the actual Washington Capitals jersey.

I'm glad the red is back, but I'd like to see a blue alternate for the 2008-2009 season.

I think a new logo would be better for this team. Maybe the Capitol Building or another version of the eagle.

I cannot stand striping that is out of place or just makes a jersey too busy and/or ugly.

I'm glad the red is back, but I'd like to see a blue alternate for the 2008-2009 season.

I think a new logo would be better for this team. Maybe the Capitol Building or another version of the eagle.

Didn't the Oklahoma City Blazers have the capital building as their logo for some time?

Didn't the Oklahoma City Blazers have the capital building as their logo for some time?

The Blazers used the Oklahoma capitol dome when they revamped their logos and uniforms (the Blazers resembled the red, yellow, and black Canucks). The dome at the state capitol had just been completed when the Blazers were looking for a new identity, so I guess they decided to capitalize on the buzz around the dome.

okc-blazers.jpg

The dome logo was used on the uniforms for a few years until it was most recently replaced by the caligraphy 'B' logo. The dome logo has completely disappeared since, though I wouldn't mind seeing it return as a secondary logo.

509925563_7ad63e3ba4.jpg

509925569_897f5576c1.jpg

581942101_d4824a7cd0.jpg

The dome logo was used on the uniforms for a few years until it was most recently replaced by the caligraphy 'B' logo. The dome logo has completely disappeared since, though I wouldn't mind seeing it return as a secondary logo.

Not completely - it appears on the top of the Blazers' Online Store.

The Blazers used the Oklahoma capitol dome when they revamped their logos and uniforms (the Blazers resembled the red, yellow, and black Canucks). The dome at the state capitol had just been completed when the Blazers were looking for a new identity, so I guess they decided to capitalize on the buzz around the dome.

okc-blazers.jpg

509925563_7ad63e3ba4.jpg

509925569_897f5576c1.jpg

581942101_d4824a7cd0.jpg

Holy crap! Did Discrim design those Blazers' unis?

I would be surprised if the Caps actually use what is in that picture. I am no expert, but that seems like a huge step backward. Plus they look like practice jerseys (even though it has the NHL shield and a shoulder patch).

Detroit Dragons - 2010 ULL Gait Cup Champions

Detroit Cougars - 2010 and 2011 WAFA Wills Cup Champions

Not completely - it appears on the top of the Blazers' Online Store.

I'm glad to see that it hasn't completely faded into oblivion yet. However, the design of the team store site is the same design of the full team site when the Blazers used the dome logo. The site was redesigned fairly recently, so the dome may be gone from the online store sometime soon.

The only logos that I ever see used in team promotions and on the local sportscasts anymore are the calligraphy B and the 15th anniversary logo (the B with a small "15" on the bottom right corner), but maybe the dome hasn't been officially retired yet.

Archived