Winnipeg back on nhl radar

Lee.

I'm going to have to agree, no chance this is Atlanta. The butts are in the seats, the new buyers of the franchise are mostly atlantans, they have commited publicly to keeping both teams in atlanta, and making the team better. Atlanta hockey fans are passionate, if not a huge in number as most NHL cities. Plus, Atl is too new to be in real trouble finantially, plus, the pending sale makes that point ridiculous.

I hope it is anyone but Atl. I love my Thrashers!

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't have the full details, but in flipping through today's Winnipeg Sun, apparently a southern team "in some financial trouble" has called city and MTS Centre officials asking if they are serious about potentially bringing the NHL back to Winnipeg.

Where did you discern the fact that it was a "southern" team? That article only said a team in financial trouble contacted them and didn't specify any geographic area... and that it wasn't Pittsburgh. Did I overlook something in the article?

My bad...I was assuming it was a southern team...although those are the ones that seem to be having a LOT of trouble putting asses in the seats as of late...

Actually, you were right. I just saw one of the articles on JetsOwner.com that stated that either Florida, Nashville, Carolina, Atlanta or Tampa Bay is the culprit. My money is still on Nashville. Think about this: Florida and Carolina have both been to the Stanley Cup Finals. Atlanta and Tampa Bay this season have a growing rivalry for the top spot in their division, and both are experiencing a healthy boost in attendance and fan support this year. The only team who has absolutely nothing going for them at the time is Nashville. They're in a division with the Red Wings and the Blues for crying out loud.

Whats teh rule about expansion temas? I recall a rule stating that they have to remain a certain number of years in the city they are founded in. If this means we no longer have to look at thsoe pug fuggly alternates ever again, I'm for it

Whats teh rule about expansion temas? I recall a rule stating that they have to remain a certain number of years in the city they are founded in. If this means we no longer have to look at thsoe pug fuggly alternates ever again, I'm for it

There is no such rule.

It almost can't be Carolina, because its lease provisions with the City of Raleigh are pretty strict about relocation (basically, that it can't happen).  Tampa or Nashville seems like the most likely scenarios, but Atlanta could be possible thanks to new ownership.

nav-logo.png

That rule exists only in the NBA, and is the rule that robbed St Louis of a team.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

That rule exists only in the NBA, and is the rule that robbed St Louis of a team.

well, at least I knew it existed somewhere :D

I don't know what the situation is in Nashville, what attendance and revenue is like, but just hearing hte name 'Nashville Predators', needs a change. Hello, Winnipeg Jets!

Scott Taylor is one sports writer I take with with a huge grain of salt--but having said that I wouldn't mind seeing a team back in Winnipeg.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Sounds like it's most likely Nashville, but if it's the Hurricanes, I doubt anyone would even notice.

Aside from opening night, attendance has sucked... bad. I've been to several Canes games this season; they're lucky if they half-fill the arena, even for weekend games.

I can relate - I haven't gone to a game since Game 4 of the cup final... and probably won't, ever again.  It's a simple equation as far as Raleigh's concerned, really:

Losing product +

Absentee ownership +

Lousy management +

No true marquee players (Lemeiux-types) +

Piss-poor advertising and promotion +

Piss-poor education of locals on the game =

No attendance.

What's sad about it is that the Hurricanes ineptitude has already caused Raleigh to (1) lose an arena football team it actually did support, and (2) cause any other league that might have considered the area viable to run for cover.

nav-logo.png

If Carolina ever moved I am almost positive Detroit would be the most likely. Seeing as Canes owner, owned Compuware which played in a Detroit Sub. 2nd Detroit team would def be cool and would be second child. Great for Red Wings fans seeing as product would always have to be better than cross-town rivals.

I'm going to go with Florida or Nashville.  Anaheim, no because they already brought in lots of new talent and always trying to improve. My guess is Nashville, one lost lots of money on gaurunteed playoffs or refund deal and which infact, Nashville missed the playoffs again. Costing owners lots of money.

When the NHL returns to Winnipeg, you gotta make em the Jets or Moose (only if the team agrees to keep Sterling's logo!)

8 posts to 1000...and a super suprise!

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

I can relate - I haven't gone to a game since Game 4 of the cup final... and probably won't, ever again. It's a simple equation as far as Raleigh's concerned, really:

Losing product +

Absentee ownership +

Lousy management +

No true marquee players (Lemeiux-types) +

Piss-poor advertising and promotion +

Piss-poor education of locals on the game =

No attendance.

What's sad about it is that the Hurricanes ineptitude has already caused Raleigh to (1) lose an arena football team it actually did support, and (2) cause any other league that might have considered the area viable to run for cover.

I agree. The on-ice product is awful. They've won most of the games I've seen, but in a very uninspiring manner. If I see one more 2-1 victory on a late goal, I'm going to puke. And the locals are very uneducated about the game. At every game I find a few northern transplants who are long-time fans, but I'm usually sitting next to the people who have no clue what's going on.

They could stand to pick up a few stars. Guys like Francis and Brind'amour are well-known workhorses, but don't draw a crowd, and none of the young guys have really created a buzz yet. A few are promising players, but nothing that's going to sell out games.

Personally, I can't stand the team. I go to the games because I love the sport. I purposely picked games this season that were against either teams I like, teams I hate, or teams I haven't seen play yet. That way, at least I have some interest in the outcome of the game.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

I have my doubts that it's Nashville.  If the Gaylord family still has an interest in the team, it's pretty much a good bet they'll try to relocate the franchise to the town where they have their second biggest sphere of influence.

Anyone who knows about me will be thoroughly un-surprised at what city that would be.

Oklahoma City.

If Carolina ever moved I am almost positive Detroit would be the most likely. Seeing as Canes owner, owned Compuware which played in a Detroit Sub. 2nd Detroit team would def be cool and would be second child. Great for Red Wings fans seeing as product would always have to be better than cross-town rivals.

There's no way in hell the Red Wings would allow a second team to move into their market.

Why do you think Hamilton has never had a team?  Buffalo and Toronto have put the crush on that market getting a franchise many times.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Archived