KG isn't going to the Celtics...

whitedawg22

I've heard Belkin basically wants the team to tank until he gets his control of the team. Then they'll get "serious." So yeah, the sooner they clean up this situation, the better, because it's crippling the franchise(s).

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've heard Belkin basically wants the team to tank until he gets his control of the team. Then they'll get "serious." So yeah, the sooner they clean up this situation, the better, because it's crippling the franchise(s).

It makes sense....a contending team's value is pricier, and he would want to keep the cost down.

I hope the Bulls trade for Kobe, then trade him straight up fo KG. Then Garnett could have a chance to get his ring, and Kobe could go to hell.

That's the smartest thing I've ever heard. :D Even though the idea of Kobe on Chicago's roster, even just for a second, sickens me. :puke:

And the fact that this is happening without any intervention from the Commisioner or the league office as a whole is ridiculous. The franchise has been bereft of any clear ownership for over a year now - not the best way to run one of your already-struggling franchises.

Still, I like how they had enough time to do that horribly unneeded uniform/color makeover, but they can't agree on simple personnel moves. Stupid.

And the fact that this is happening without any intervention from the Commisioner or the league office as a whole is ridiculous. The franchise has been bereft of any clear ownership for over a year now - not the best way to run one of your already-struggling franchises.

Still, I like how they had enough time to do that horribly unneeded uniform/color makeover, but they can't agree on simple personnel moves. Stupid.

The NHL and NBA have tried to get involved, but the courts aren't letting them.

so, let's look at this in retrospect a few days after the draft:

-Atlanta's done the SMARTEST thing possible in drafting the third-best player though they have depth at the position (Thornton at the 4), and the player who is most NBA-ready at their biggest position of need (Law IV at the 1). So that was smart.

-the Lakers drafted a couple of no-name point guards....certainly that alone won't keep Kobe in town.

-the Wolves got Corey Brewer, the best possible move they could do. Him and Foye should be dangerous in a few years, but that's not on the Big Ticket's time frame.

Though his agent said he wouldn't go there, KG himself hasn't said he won't play in Boston...too bad they don't have enough stuff to send back to Minny now that they have Extra P and Ray Allen together, those three combined would be dangerous. of course this means Jefferson would go, but do you want to dominate the East for two years or not?

this is hardly over - I know specifically because the Blazers have done deals they can't talk about, which is kind of crazy to think about. If the *Blazers* have that, certainly other teams do too, which should keep the next week or two interesting.

oh, btw, I was at the Blazers' draft party at the arena. Place was NUTS. 5-6,000 people showed up...for a draft party. for milling around as a group and watching the announcers report live. Weird? I guess, but the atmosphere ruled. About 50 to 75 people RUSHED THE COURT after the pick to dance on the pinwheel at center court, no joke. It was awesome. And yes, I totally believe we're bringing home trophies in a few years. It's going to happen. RIP CITY FOR LIFE.

harperdc.gif

-Atlanta's done the SMARTEST thing possible in drafting the third-best player though they have depth at the position (Horford*at the 4), and the player who is most NBA-ready at their biggest position of need (Law IV at the 1). So that was smart.

Edited for accuracy.

YES! The way some of the "fans" and media see it, the Hawks were dumb as hell to pass up on Mike Conley Jr. with the 3, and the only reason they have for disliking it is "Wah, they picked another forward and passed up on a great PG again. Wah.". My question(s) is this: Who would they have picked with the 11 if they had picked Conley, and why is Conley so revered all of a sudden? Acie Law was considered THE premier point guard in the NCAA, even won the Bob Cousy award for BEST POINT GUARD IN THE NATION, yet draft time hits and Conley's the hot ticket. The dude is 19 and he's played his whole life with Greg Oden, so that was a super-benefit. Drafting Conley would've been egregious. But not only do they draft a premeier point guard in Law, they got the best player not named Durant or Oden, a center/forward, something they also needed since poor ZaZa was getting abused in the paint on a nightly basis. The Hawks upgraded with as close to veteran experience as you can get in the draft, yet most people in town see that they drafted "another F" and call the Hawks and BK idiots. They are still idiots, don't get me wrong, but somehow they got this right. Give em credit, though.

-Atlanta's done the SMARTEST thing possible in drafting the third-best player though they have depth at the position (Horford*at the 4), and the player who is most NBA-ready at their biggest position of need (Law IV at the 1). So that was smart.

Edited for accuracy.

YES! The way some of the "fans" and media see it, the Hawks were dumb as hell to pass up on Mike Conley Jr. with the 3, and the only reason they have for disliking it is "Wah, they picked another forward and passed up on a great PG again. Wah.". My question(s) is this: Who would they have picked with the 11 if they had picked Conley, and why is Conley so revered all of a sudden? Acie Law was considered THE premier point guard in the NCAA, even won the Bob Cousy award for BEST POINT GUARD IN THE NATION, yet draft time hits and Conley's the hot ticket. The dude is 19 and he's played his whole life with Greg Oden, so that was a super-benefit. Drafting Conley would've been egregious. But not only do they draft a premeier point guard in Law, they got the best player not named Durant or Oden, a center/forward, something they also needed since poor ZaZa was getting abused in the paint on a nightly basis. The Hawks upgraded with as close to veteran experience as you can get in the draft, yet most people in town see that they drafted "another F" and call the Hawks and BK idiots. They are still idiots, don't get me wrong, but somehow they got this right. Give em credit, though.

I don't think anyone who really follows the NBA and the NCAA really faults them for not taking Conley Jr. The guy couldn't hit a shot to save his life in workouts. What they do fault them for is missing out on Chris Paul, and yes, the brain trust in charge of the franchise does not deserve to let that one die down.

However, for this year's draft, the Hawks did surpringly well. They drafted for value at the #3 with Horford, and addressed need at 11 with Law. Still, give me another couple of good drafts to erase the memory of really stupid drafts (Shelden Williams, wtf???) that have been Hawks/Billy Knight staples.

• 4 weeks later...

Hmm. as long as two of those three players are healthy most of the season - and going into April - they should challenge the Raptors and have a very good shot at taking the Atlantic. I'd figure they'll be anywhere from the 2-5 seed in the playoffs...and as long as they're healthy, they should at least make it to the finals.

Peep who made the playoffs this year: Detroit, Cleveland, Miami, New Jersey, Chicago, Orlando, Washington, Toronto. Chicago is legit, Miami hasn't done anything to improve this offseason and are far too old to compete again, Detroit's almost too old, Cleveland hasn't addressed its need (PG), Washington could be dangerous, Toronto should be, and Orlando overpaid for Rashard Lewis - yet aren't guaranteed to improve.

so where does that leave us? With Agent Zero, Washington could make the East finals; Chicago have to be the favorites going in, just a nose ahead of Cleveland and Detroit. You have to think that Toronto is right there possibly too, especially with Bosh.

Boston are right into that mix of the 'elite' (lol) of the East, but just like everyone else, they have questions; namely, like the Suns, what the hell do they have after their Big Three, and what happens when (not if) they get injured?

Boston should be in the playoffs next year, and could likely make the finals if they get hot at the right time. But rings? Naw. Unless Extra P regains his form when all he had was, to quote Billups, "Cyber-Toine and a license to shoot threes," and unless KG really *is* kryptonite for Tim Duncan, then I don't think they'll bring the trophy back to Boston. But it's probably just saved Danny Ainge his job.

I love one comment somebody pointed out on the AOL Fanhouse: it's like Ainge is playing NBA Live '01 in real life.

harperdc.gif

Big move for the Celtics, indeed.

I don't know if I'd call them a power yet. On paper, sure, they look killer... but on-paper talent doesn't mean anything, just ask any Knicks fan. The last time this kind of assembly of superstars happened, they got to the NBA finals, sure, but were completely dominated by a real team (of course I'm talking about the 2004 Lakers). But let's say they live up to the hype and the KG-Allen-Pierce combo comes through... where is the rest of the team? They were already struggling with depth issues, how have they improved there? Perkins, serviceable... Rondo, inexperienced but talented... Tony Allen, okay... combine those three with the big 3 and you're only 6-deep. What happens if Allen, Pierce or KG go down to foul trouble, injury, or something like that? There's absolutely no help on the bench for Boston. At least when the Lakers made the finals in '04, they had guys like Rick Fox, Derek Fisher, Devean George, Luke Walton and Bryon Russell to rely on if the time came.

Toronto still has to be the favorite to win the division. As for the conference, I'm stacking it up right now as 1. Detroit, 2. Washington, 3. Chicago, 4. Toronto, 5. Cleveland, 6. Miami, 7/8. Boston, Milwaukee, Orlando, New York (NY included, like Boston, on paper potential, but also on last year's overall performance where, had injuries not depleted the roster - especially Crawford - the Knicks would've remained in playoff contention).

Call me a hater, but I just don't see the Celtics being a better team than Detroit, Washington (assuming Arenas is healthy), Chicago, Toronto or Cleveland. Miami as well is still a better team than Boston, even though they're realistic title run is basically over.

"The true New Yorker secretly believes that anyone living anywhere else has got to be, in some sense, kidding."

Further proving my point that people living in Massachusetts are the smartest people in America...

This coming from the man rooting for 3 of the worst teams in baseball..........

What the :censored: is that supposed to mean?

ScreenShot2011-12-09at052105PM.png

Tomorrow's just your future yesterday.

Further proving my point that people living in Massachusetts are the smartest people in America...

This coming from the man rooting for 3 of the worst teams in baseball..........

What the :censored: is that supposed to mean?

It's pretty clear that it means you like crap baseball teams.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Toronto still has to be the favorite to win the division. As for the conference, I'm stacking it up right now as 1. Detroit, 2. Washington, 3. Chicago, 4. Toronto, 5. Cleveland, 6. Miami, 7/8. Boston, Milwaukee, Orlando, New York (NY included, like Boston, on paper potential, but also on last year's overall performance where, had injuries not depleted the roster - especially Crawford - the Knicks would've remained in playoff contention).

like mentioned above, I put the Celtics right there at the same place as Cleveland and Miami at least, maybe just a hair behind Toronto too. Can't deny the power of those three players, but like Miami, Toronto, and Cleveland, there are still too many questions. Hell, *nobody* in the East has very few questions; Detroit and Chicago probably have the least, but out of the whole league they've got to be somewhere in the bottom half of the top 10 all told.

the East is going to be amusing if only to see who's flaws are actually going to come out and who's won't. while the West will be a battle of hoops titans, the East could be a comedy of errors. If the East was re-seeded, this would be *perfect*.

harperdc.gif

Archived