Hughson and Millen movin on up

OMMF

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/R..._nletter_newsUp

Changes to Hockey Night in Canada will come sooner than later, according to insiders, the biggest of which will involve announcer Jim Hughson and analyst Greg Millen taking over as the top play-by-play team.

The return of Bob Cole and Harry Neale appears probable, but in a reduced role. Neale said yesterday he's awaiting final word about his status.

"I don't know for sure, so I better not say," he said. "But it appears I won't be doing as many games.

"I've had a brief conversation [with Hockey Night producers], but haven't gotten into any details with Scott Moore [the head of CBC Sports]. But I expect to hear from him before too long."

Also:

Another change at Hockey Night will probably involve the Toronto Maple Leafs, who in the past were consistently given national distribution on Saturday nights.

Insiders say Hockey Night will increase the national exposure of the Montreal Canadiens and particularly the Ottawa Senators on the opening game of the doubleheader.

"I'm not sure it makes sense to give a Leafs-Tampa Bay Lightning game distribution countrywide just because it's the Leafs," a source close to Hockey Night said, "particularly if you've got Sidney Crosby [of the Pittsburgh Penguins] playing Montreal or Ottawa."

What's more, Hughson and Millen will probably be assigned the best game on Saturday night and not automatically the matchup involving the Leafs.

"If the most interesting game is Vancouver playing Calgary, that's the one Hughson and Millen should go to," a source said.

You missed the best quote in the article.

Another issue for Hockey Night is the quality of the Leafs' team. Insiders suggest there's a concern about the limited success the team is likely to achieve in the next several years. Most hockey experts rank the Leafs as the weakest among the six Canadian NHL teams. The probability of the Leafs making the playoffs any time soon is questionable at best. Hockey Night will seek to showcase Canadian teams with a better chance of advancing to the postseason.

From the Sens Underground Podcast opener once this season...

"Hey! This is... Bob Cole. Well... It could be a long show tonight for the boys. Or... Maybe not. Well... It's time to go... Underground... with your... Ottawa Sens."

Good riddance. Hughson uber alles!

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Good news about Hughson and the lessened dominance of the Leafs over our airways ... BAD news about Millen.

Maybe it's just me, but I can't stand the guy. And I don't think the guys in the production truck can, either.

I would much rather have seen Ray Ferraro join Hughson, but I can't complain about this at all.

I now have a reason, other than family, to stay home on Saturdays.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

More Jim Hughson = awesome.

First time I heard him was in NHL 99 alongside Darryl Reaugh. He's got a great voice for hockey and an excellent delivery. Right behind Pat Foley in my book.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Thank god. Cole and Neale are frankly, embarrassing to listen to anymore. Like athletes that hang on when their ability is totally gone, they're making themselves look bad with their lack of knowledge and effort.

They were great, but its time for them to step back. Not a fan of Millen, but oh well.

What the hell happened to Drew Remenda? He was great with Jim Hughson. I found it odd that he was the main color man for all late broadcasts throughout the entire season and then, when the playoffs come, he's paired with Don Wittman, the third string play-by-play, and disappears completely when Calgary is eliminated.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

Archived