Red Sox and Padres wearing throwbacks tonight Friday 6/22

patsox

Padres in Homes (Orange, Yellow, Brown) and Red Sox in Road Grays (Grey and Navy) Boston in Block font. If anyone can find pictures feel free to add any.

Watching the game right now, the Padres always wear the throwback helmets with the throwback jerseys, thank God because thats always what ruins retro nights: the helmets. The Sox dont look that different, but thats what happens with the classic clubs.

14ilxq9.png

HOPING varitek wears his pants at the appropriate height.

as we all know, these sox unis featured their classic striped stirrups....

he's up second this inning.. we'll soon find out!!

Nope, he has red soccer socks.

Should look like this if they were doing it right.

jerry_remy_autograph.jpg

I love the Red Sox uniforms. Just a really classy look. They should really be wearing those full time.

ndQ4mh6o.jpg

No, they shouldn't. The thing I never liked about the old Red Sox roadies is they were way too boring. The current road set is light years ahead of what the Sox are wearing tonight.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

I've got a feeling varitek would have LOVED the chance to sport the striped stirrups.

If you're going to go throwback, GO THROWBACK. this is an unfortunate letdown.

in another note, the "BOS" and "TON" were defnitely not that far apart on the original unis (as the shot of jim rice proves) with the "S" actually stitched on the placket.

as a yankee fan I loved these boston uniforms (admittedly the only thing I loved about the sox!!). yes, they are almost carbon copies of the old yankee road greys (before the needless white outlining was added) but it was always the sox who looked better (on the road) because of the stripes!!

The "BOSTON" font is off a bit. The font they used for those jerseys was the Stahl's varsity font (same as the Philadelphia Flyers use on their white jerseys). The letters on those look a bit too slim. The numbers are just about perfect, though.

"Hats for bats. Keep bats warm. Gracias"

I've got a feeling varitek would have LOVED the chance to sport the striped stirrups.

If you're going to go throwback, GO THROWBACK. this is an unfortunate letdown.

in another note, the "BOS" and "TON" were defnitely not that far apart on the original unis (as the shot of jim rice proves) with the "S" actually stitched on the placket.

The Red Sox wore the BOS| |TON, with the big gap on jerseys from 1979-1983.

1f56_1.JPG

They wore B O|S|TON, like Rice has, from '84 to '86.

150.jpg

The last version of the navy lettering had BOS|T|ON from 1987-1989.

733.jpg

Something bothers me about the Sox jerseys, but I can't pick out what.

(and yes, as you can tell by my flags, i'm sort of a man divided during this game...the Sox are first priority though. It is great to see the Friars for a change.)

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

Something bothers me about the Sox jerseys, but I can't pick out what.

(and yes, as you can tell by my flags, i'm sort of a man divided during this game...the Sox are first priority though. It is great to see the Friars for a change.)

Someone already pointed out the letters are too thin. I think the same can be said for the numbers as well. Also, the buttons should be evenly spaced, not have that gigantic gap between the 2nd one from the top and 3rd from the top.

C18976.jpg

Matsuzaka

594978073_daf8454eb7_o.jpg

Maddux

594977833_0a24239073_o.jpg

Most of this thread has been about the Red Sox unis tonight, but there are definitely some incorrect things with the Padres. The number font is wrong and too skinny. The player's names should be vertically arched. Since the jerseys are pullovers, the pants should be beltless with the same striping pattern on the waistline. They also wore white shoes back then.

Maddux

594977833_0a24239073_o.jpg

Wow... haven't had an issue with Maddux on the Padres at all, but that just looks wrong. Those 1984 jerseys bring back bad memories. Seeing every Cubs fan's favorite Braves Hall of Famer in those unis is just... awkward.

But in all honesty, I love those unis.

The Red Sox jerseys... always thought they were boring then, still boring now. And as someone else said, a little too Yankees (and navy) for the Red Sox. Of course, back when those were around I wasn't reminded every day by ESPN about the Yankees-Red Sox rivalry, so I don't think I thought that way back in the '80s.

(Oh, and my favorite part of the hype is the constant updates on the Red Sox AL East lead --- over the Yankees! -- even when there were teams between them.)

Most of this thread has been about the Red Sox unis tonight, but there are definitely some incorrect things with the Padres. The number font is wrong and too skinny. The player's names should be vertically arched. Since the jerseys are pullovers, the pants should be beltless with the same striping pattern on the waistline. They also wore white shoes back then.

Some 1982 Padres pictures.

384.jpg

223.jpg

364.jpg

scardi34952610.jpg

From the glimpses I'm seeing and the descriptions, it looks like Majestic decided to use the same incorrect number font they used when the Pads busted these out against the Cubs in 2004.

I'll say this much about Majestic: they're consistent in their half-assery.

Edit: the ones they wore in '04 were '84 throwbacks, so that would make them a button-up version of this set. Regardless, though, same screw-up.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived