Red Sox and Padres wearing throwbacks tonight Friday 6/22

patsox

Regardless of whether they are true throwbacks or not, I really wish ballplayers would go back to the fad of wearing jerseys that fit.

I'm looking at you, Ramirez, you XXXXL-wearing putz.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Padres in Homes (Orange, Yellow, Brown) and Red Sox in Road Grays (Grey and Navy) Boston in Block font. If anyone can find pictures feel free to add any.

Watching the game right now, the Padres always wear the throwback helmets with the throwback jerseys, thank God because thats always what ruins retro nights: the helmets. The Sox dont look that different, but thats what happens with the classic clubs.

1= welcome to the party kid 17 looking foward to talk logos and sports with you

2= Loves the throwbacks but I was hoping that the Padres would wear the Browns & Orange uniform from 1985-1990.

The all yellow uniforms the Padres wore a few weeks ago weren't accurate either, and neither were the Detroit throwbacks. You'd think this would be an easy thing to get right. Isn't there an old jersey lying around? Or heck, didn't they use Google before they remade the jerseys?

The last version of the navy lettering had BOS|T|ON from 1987-1989.

733.jpg

Aw man, that road uni Spike Owen's wearing brings me back to the time I first became a baseball fan. The first Sox team I followed was the 1988 team, and I specifically remembered in 1990 (?) when they switched to the current road set they have today. I remembered asking my dad "why did they switch? I liked their old ones better!"

As you can see, I was already becoming a sports logo/uni nut at the age of 8.

Holy crap, the Padres' number font couldn't been more off if they tried. Which sucks, because they had a chance to atone for their past errors.

Are the eyelets on the Padres' caps orange or brown? None of the pictures showed it conclusively. If not, another strike against this attempt.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

I've got a feeling varitek would have LOVED the chance to sport the striped stirrups.

If you're going to go throwback, GO THROWBACK. this is an unfortunate letdown.

in another note, the "BOS" and "TON" were defnitely not that far apart on the original unis (as the shot of jim rice proves) with the "S" actually stitched on the placket.

as a yankee fan I loved these boston uniforms (admittedly the only thing I loved about the sox!!). yes, they are almost carbon copies of the old yankee road greys (before the needless white outlining was added) but it was always the sox who looked better (on the road) because of the stripes!!

Of course you loved those as a yankees fan.....they remind you of the time before you choked away a 3-0 series lead and the Red Sox stopped being your little bitch!!

I've got a feeling varitek would have LOVED the chance to sport the striped stirrups.

If you're going to go throwback, GO THROWBACK. this is an unfortunate letdown.

in another note, the "BOS" and "TON" were defnitely not that far apart on the original unis (as the shot of jim rice proves) with the "S" actually stitched on the placket.

as a yankee fan I loved these boston uniforms (admittedly the only thing I loved about the sox!!). yes, they are almost carbon copies of the old yankee road greys (before the needless white outlining was added) but it was always the sox who looked better (on the road) because of the stripes!!

Of course you loved those as a yankees fan.....they remind you of the time before you choked away a 3-0 series lead and the Red Sox stopped being your little bitch!!

hey stamper.. the only thing the mid-80's reminded me of was BAD yankee baseball and actually having to root for the mets in the fall of 86!!

thanks man, I got a good laugh out of that! (your post, NOT the mets winning!!!)

(1) Red Sox: Today's road unis are better.

(2) Padres: Independent of the number font being wrong (and it is), this looks all wrong without white shoes. Also, they did wear a button-down jersey and belt the last year of this look (1984); before that, it was Doubleknit City (you can sort of tell from this photo):

nFrNnmDE.jpg

Packers-2.png

My question is why the Padres deliberately ignore the 1985-1990 era uniforms. Those brownish-off white road unis with the interlocked SD on the left breast outlined in orange...the home whites pinstriped...brown caps with orange SD...I really miss those unis. THAT is the uniform I first fell in love with.

-Daniel
Check Out My Podcast! Latest Episode 273: The Color Blinky
Latest Photo Upload: January 7, 2012

Archived