NFL Europe - World Bowl XV

DarkJourney

.... well no wonder I missed it, it was on the NFL network.... Hamburg against Frankfurt with Meatloaf as the halftime performer.... For some reason .... I am getting hungry....

I saw, I came, I left.

Yay! Go Sea Devils! Woo hoo!.... honestly, does anyone here, or in the U.S. for that matter care about NFL-E? I was watching some of the game, and all I could think about is how crappy this league must be since all the teams have the same exact uniform template, only recolored. Ever since the Claymores left this league has gone down hill for me.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

I love the league, and i love Hamburg's logo. THey nailed that U-Boat mascot symbolisim perfectly.

...just waiting for the NFL Deutschland moniker to come.

C'MON, AMSTERDAM!!! Move to Munich already!!!

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Oh, I love all the logos in the league, it's just a shame that they all have to have the same uniforms. I watched some of the games this year, but I'm not saying I care about the league, and it DOES seem like it's been successful in Germany only, which is a shame as well because I want to see the game grow into more cultures.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

The World Bowl was entertaining this year. It was re-running on NFL network and I caught most of it. I don't follow the league on a regular basis, but I do check in from time to time to see how the players allocated by the Titans are doing.

I think the NFL gave up on selling the sport to Europe (outside of Germany), but it's really just a developmental league anyway.

honestly, does anyone here, or in the U.S. for that matter care about NFL-E?

Well it beats the hell out of most other programming on Saturdays. Do I care? No. Do I watch? Occasionally. It kills time until a baseball game comes on. Besides, the NFL Network needs something to air besides "In their own words" and NFL total access.

BB52Big.jpg

I don't have NFL Network, no NFL Europe/a for me.

Besides, my interest really waned once the Dragons left for Cologne.

I really wish they'd give the teams' uniforms some individual character, though. Frankfurt and Rhein have that armpit thing going, but everyone else is on their umpteenth year of the Patriots' template. And ugh, that cheap-o block font and those horrid gigantic NFL team logo patches.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

From Yahoo! Sports

NFL to shut down European league

By Jason Cole

Tuesday, Jun 26, 2007 6:09 am EDT

PALM BEACH GARDENS, Fla. ? The irony of the league's rookie symposium is while discussion has focused on the opportunity the players are about to get, the league is about to take away an avenue for opportunity.

The NFL is expected to cease operations of NFL Europa after 17 years because of increasing costs associated with running the league, according to two league sources. That comes despite the efforts of team executives such as Kansas City Chiefs president Carl Peterson to save the league.

After addressing the 2007 rookie class on Monday afternoon, commissioner Roger Goodell flew to Germany to meet with NFL Europa officials only days after the league held its championship game.

Over the years, NFL Europa has developed players such as Kurt Warner, La'Roi Glover and Jake Delhomme. Dropping the league would mean fewer opportunities for the NFL to develop both players and game officials.

Despite sentiment among general managers and personnel people to keep the league, it's become an expensive endeavor. It's expected the league will take a $32 million loss for this season.

"When you put it in a business perspective, it's hard to argue with what the owners are saying," a league executive said. "As a personnel and development guy, you're always looking for ways to develop players. But that's a lot of money right now for maybe two guys who are going to play special teams for you."

Moreover, because no other professional league operates with the same rules as the NFL, the European league has been a source of experience for game officials. NFL referee John Parry told the league's website that experience was valuable.

"It's become more and more like a full-time job during the season, if you want to do it right, but there's still no substitute for game experience," Parry said. "It's just like the players. You can watch film for hours, but it's a whole different thing on the field."

So, what's the next step here? Partner up with the braintrust and dollars behind the UFL and transform it into the NFL D-League?

I see calls being placed to Birmingham, Memphis, and Orlando in the months to come...

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Amazingly neither ESPN nor Fox Sports has any mention of this on the NFL front pages of their respective Web sites. (Less surprisingly, neither NFL.com nor the NFL Europe site do either.)

Perhaps they could shift the entire league to Mexico? It's a lot closer to home, and it could serve as a sort of dry run for eventual expansion/relocation into Mexico by the NFL itself.

CCSLC signature.png

This is great opportunity if you are the UFL. Become the AAA division during the season and affiliate yourself with NFL teams. The practice squads and rookies can play in the UHL and be called up in case of injury. Works in hockey!

How about this for the UFL

EAST

Birmingham

Louisville

Memphis

Orlando

WEST

Las Vegas

Los Angeles

Mexico City (might be tough to get players to live and play in Mexico)

San Antonio

This is great opportunity if you are the UFL. Become the AAA division during the season and affiliate yourself with NFL teams. The practice squads and rookies can play in the UHL and be called up in case of injury. Works in hockey!

Do that and play the games on Wednesday nights. I think it would do well as long as they stayed out of markets with a big time college team. Who knows? It might actually be kinda cool.

BB52Big.jpg

Archived