Illegible Name / Number Fonts

number81

i personally think we need more block numbers than we've got... the sabres/caps font is an upgrade, but i still don't like it... the chargers are in the same boat.

give me a good dallas/detroit/montreal/edmonton/vancouver number set any day. even new jersey/hartford... most of these teams have their own little quirks about their number fonts that make them unique... but they're still just a good old block font. classic.

worst in the league, right now, is probably minnesota. its not hard to read, but it's just really tacky and bush league. i assume it's a thing of the past now.

and worst all time is tampa bay, without question. honorable mention to anaheim's wildwing jersey, and the LA Kings "is that a 1 or a 7" problem from their first few seasons with the current look.

i like originally, too; i wouldn't want everyone to go to the exact same block font. i think the red socks numbers might be the best in sports... what i have a problem with is something that is not easily unreadible on tv or in the stands... something like this:

l_95e90856b987ff1c2f7ad66463e647ee.jpg

"is it a 2 or is it a 1?"

ps - does anyone have a pic of those awful 1998 preseason Jaguars unis???

as long as a number font is legible from the last row of the stadium/arena, it is a decent number font.

doesnt matter if its old fashioned block or a modern rounded edge font.

the Sharks use a modern font that is perfectly legible, and it must be a good one if its good enough for Hockey Canada to use.

the Miami Dolphins are a good example of a team that uses a block font that is illegible, at least on the white jerseys.

I personally love the Wild number font. Perfectly readable with a touch of originality.

I also thought the original Lightning font was cool, though it could be tough to read.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I am all for originality if a team is looking to set itself apart with a unique font. Some international leagues stifle creativity by mandating that all teams use a given font, which is a shame; trading style for conformity never sits well with me. But there is a right way and a wrong way to do it. Too many teams of late go overboard with their designs to make something unique and wind up with designs that are overwrought to the point of distraction. Teams like the Coyotes, Sharks and Hurricanes have designs that you instantly associate with those respective teams, but they didn't sacrifice any legibility to do so. Other teams, like what the Capitals just ditched and what the Lightning dumped years ago, tried so hard to make a statement with "their" font that the players couldn't even be identified by their names and numbers - so why even bother putting them on there?

For all the knuckleheads demanding that the Buccaneers put their practice jersey numbers on their game gear, you have to ask: did you ever consider the spotter on TV, even with binoculars and current rosters, will NEVER be able to tell 22 large men moving at high speed and colliding with each other, as they have a hard enough time doing it with legible typefaces?

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

I really liked the Capitals fonts. I felt that it fit in great with the theme of their team. The names were difficult to read, noa rguement there. The numbers were large enough that you could see which was which.

I'm on the lookout for a black Capitals now that they're changing. I can't wait for the clearences to come this summer

To me, if you have to question or contemplate anything in a font (especially numbers) then it is a crappy font. "Is that a one? seven? Well that numeral is a five! No, it's a six." If you have to think about what number it is, then it probably isn't a good font.

-E.A.R.

• 2 weeks later...

There was nothing unreadable about the Sabres fonts, IMO. I missed maybe a dozen home games and made about two dozen road trips during those 9 seasons and it never even crossed my mind.

Now the yellow names on last year's third jersey...

i like originally, too; i wouldn't want everyone to go to the exact same block font. i think the red socks numbers might be the best in sports... what i have a problem with is something that is not easily unreadible on tv or in the stands... something like this:

l_95e90856b987ff1c2f7ad66463e647ee.jpg

"is it a 2 or is it a 1?"

ps - does anyone have a pic of those awful 1998 preseason Jaguars unis???

What team puts numbers on their red socks? :P

In all seriousness, though, is this the Jags uni you're talking about?

http://www.ssur.org/research/CK_NFLUniform...ckjaguars94.jpg

I don't remember anything from 1998.

Unreadible Name / Number Fonts, is the trend (slowly) dying?

Not in Europe.

As for North America, thankfully, it is. The whole "COLOR COLOR COLOR COLOR COLOR EVERYWHERE" theme from the 90s is dying out.

No - actually, after further research, I think it was in 1997, with the first round of jaguars uni updates. (the numbers were changed from block to the current font) I tried and tried to find a pic, but could not. I vaguely remember a pic of Mark Brunell wearing this, and his '8' bascially didn't contain any negative space. It was so bad they had to change it mid pre season...

No - actually, after further research, I think it was in 1997, with the first round of jaguars uni updates. (the numbers were changed from block to the current font) I tried and tried to find a pic, but could not. I vaguely remember a pic of Mark Brunell wearing this, and his '8' bascially didn't contain any negative space. It was so bad they had to change it mid pre season...

nat-255.jpg

philliescreamersig2copy.png

That funky font on the new Cincinnati Reds new jerseys are hard to read, mostly because of the unnecessary drop shadow, but also the font is too small. Come to think of it, the Bengals number font is too busy as well. Come on Cincinnati!!! you can do better!!

I cannot say that it an end of a trend since Puma soccer kits for national teams have last names in lowercase and are totally unreadable (e.g.: Uruguay tonight in Copa America againse Venezuela). Not a fan of the youth league "soccer style" numbers that Adidas now uses. It reminds me of 1977.

IMO, the Broncos, Red Sox, Milwaukee Bucks and the Chicago Bears are the few teams who look accpetable in non-block numerals. As for nameplates, the Broncos does look good in the back.

Archived