Yet Another Poster Design

averyj

(Scroll on down for the new poster)

Well, after a break. I present a commission I recieved for another theatre production.

GNFS_IV_Large.png

(By the way, the Director forced me to give myself such a large credit :D )

You know, I rarely visit ccslsc anymore. I really should fix that.

It does really look like a 40's movie poster. However, you need to put a outline on the woman's arm where it touches the man's tux.

There's not much I can do about it now.

I guess I should mention that the poster is done. The performances have been performed.

But, in any case, keep the C&C coming, it'll help regardless.

It does really look like a 40's movie poster. However, you need to put a outline on the woman's arm where it touches the man's tux.

I guess I should mention that the poster is done. The performances have been performed.

***stop the insulting posts or you're next***

If nobody showed up, it's because they couldn't read the squished up font that you foisted on them. Remember the plot in th eThe Jerk where Steve Martin gets sued because everybody went cross-eyed becasue of his new invention.

Well, you're next.

I could read it quite fine. Might I suggest investing in a pair of glasses or a new monitor? :D

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

it lacks heirarchy. every element of the poster is competing against one another for the readers' attention.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

it lacks heirarchy. every element of the poster is competing against one another for the readers' attention.

I agree with andrew - it lacks visual hierarchy and is very busy. it feels hard to focus on one particular area.

How could I improve the hierarchy?

(e.g. The placement of the items, colors, sizes)

p.s. here's the inspiration for the poster:

http://www.art.com/asp/sp-asp/_/pd--101262...-A/Oklahoma.htm

that one lacks a certain amount of necessary heirarchy as well, but look how large the 'oklahoma!' text is compared to everything else. much larger in relation to the other elements than the 'grand night for singing' text on yours. also, the red color does a better job of achiving heirarchy than your subdued blue.

basically, my rule of thumb for a theatrical poster is to combine the title and one image and make it big, pretty large, and make everything else fairly small and subdued. besides the title, the largest thing should be the dates, and everything else can be pretty small and out of the way.

good poster. title. image. everything else is small and subdued, but there for you to read if you want to.

Lion_King~OBC.jpg

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

that one lacks a certain amount of necessary heirarchy as well, but look how large the 'oklahoma!' text is compared to everything else. much larger in relation to the other elements than the 'grand night for singing' text on yours. also, the red color does a better job of achiving heirarchy than your subdued blue.

basically, my rule of thumb for a theatrical poster is to combine the title and one image and make it big, pretty large, and make everything else fairly small and subdued. besides the title, the largest thing should be the dates, and everything else can be pretty small and out of the way.

good poster. title. image. everything else is small and subdued, but there for you to read if you want to.

Thanks for that.

I would have found a font (even if it was freeware) that was closer to the O-K-L-A-H-O-M-A (Oklahoma! Yeah!) text, as well as having a different font for your admission information box. It's hard to read to be completely honest. In addition, I didn't research this at all, so you may have, but maybe you could have used the original poster font for the musical.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

I would have found a font (even if it was freeware) that was closer to the O-K-L-A-H-O-M-A (Oklahoma! Yeah!) text, as well as having a different font for your admission information box. It's hard to read to be completely honest. In addition, I didn't research this at all, so you may have, but maybe you could have used the original poster font for the musical.

Wow. Gentlemen you have just seen a feat that will not soon be forgotten by the members of the CCSLC, a completely serious post from Fred T. Jane.

I would give you post of the day, but I have not been authorized to do so.

:D

But in all seriousness, no, I didn't use the same fonts. I suppose that blue drop shadow doesn't help the info box legibility.

I'm still stunned, thanks anyway.

I like the idea very much, averyj, and I can see what you are trying to do. Overall, it is a nicely done concept. However, there are a few things that I think would make it more readable and give it visual hierarchy.

First, though the cream and blue looks good, it is not the most readable set. Also, I think the black included in the poster somewhat blends in. I think, even though its too late, that the only thing that should be in blue is the title of the play, which would make it pop out a little more. Also, I really like the font used at the bottom of the page--it really reminds me of movie posters of old.

I like the idea very much, averyj, and I can see what you are trying to do. Overall, it is a nicely done concept. However, there are a few things that I think would make it more readable and give it visual hierarchy.

First, though the cream and blue looks good, it is not the most readable set. Also, I think the black included in the poster somewhat blends in. I think, even though its too late, that the only thing that should be in blue is the title of the play, which would make it pop out a little more. Also, I really like the font used at the bottom of the page--it really reminds me of movie posters of old.

That's an idea, I'll keep that in mind. Although, I'd be a little worried about the excess of black. But then again, that would make the title really pop out.

Anyway, I've got another poster design that I'm going to unveil after the c&c dies down with this one.

Here's yet another poster design. This one was for my school's talent show.

It's inspired by the old WWII era propaganda posters, but with a modern/hip (almost "jazzy") edge to it

As always, C&C is appreciated.

TalentShowPosterII.png

A single poster on the brick wall will do wonders for this. You have to understand that you don't need to fill up every single space on a poster to make it work. White space/Black space/Blank space is your friend, try to remember that. The brick wall is fine, I guess, but take out the "post no bills" and one of the "bird" posters. Take the info off the white poster at the bottom and present it in a strip along the bottom, possibly white text on a black background...maybe yellow text.

Never mind, I just realized the date on the poster is June 7, so none of what I said really matters anyway.

A single poster on the brick wall will do wonders for this. You have to understand that you don't need to fill up every single space on a poster to make it work. White space/Black space/Blank space is your friend, try to remember that. The brick wall is fine, I guess, but take out the "post no bills" and one of the "bird" posters. Take the info off the white poster at the bottom and present it in a strip along the bottom, possibly white text on a black background...maybe yellow text.

Never mind, I just realized the date on the poster is June 7, so none of what I said really matters anyway.

Well, it's always good to know, no matter the date.

I guess the singular poster would give a foreboding, ominous feel - right?

The placement of the "Bird" poster would be in the center, or top center?

Archived