Yet Another Poster Design

averyj

Honestly, I liked the torn, burned piece of paper on the brick wall - I think you could have just had that on the brick wall and it would have been even better. you could have also made the bird and "show your pride show your talent" be stencils or grafitti on the brick wall.

i would definitely agree with joel that simpler is better. less information, less visuals, less confusion for the eye. you really want people to focus on maybe one or two, maybe three elements in your designs, but there needs to be what designers term "visual hierarchy" within the design. That means that there is one critical piece of information in your design that has to be there, so it needs to be the most prominent. Then down the line of info and so on and so forth, to the point where you lose any unnecessary visual elements.

For example, for this poster, your most important information is what, where, and when. This would be the talent show, the location, and time. So you need to emphasize that information in an attention grabbing way - the line "show your pride, show your talent" is a good one. that, along with the event name, may be hierarchy element(HE) 1. the location & time can be placed together as HE2.

What Joel has done fits with that. In your design, on the piece of paper with all the info, you've got a lot of unnecessary body copy talking about getting there early to get good seats. Honestly, it's arbitrary, and people can figure that out on their own, so you don't need it. A good poster is attention grabbing, and gives you all the critical information quickly and efficiently, which is usually what, where, and when.

Sorry if this is repetitive, but I hope it's helpful. Usually you'll want your image to stand out the most, or a color to be the attention grabber. That's how you get people to come look at your poster, where you give them the pertinent info. Make sense?

OD_Signature.jpg

Yeah, visual hierarchy is something I need to work on, a lot. Thanks for the explanation Brian.

Okay, simplicity is key.

Whether it be visual or linguistical, less is more. Right?

And White space/Black space/Blank space is my friend.

Anything big that I missed?

You know, I rarely visit ccslsc anymore. I really should fix that.

Archived