KC Royals Concept

HarperK

Ill be the first to say i love their current Blue/White look...but i saw them in the Negro League throwbacks, and combined with me always wanting them to bring back a little of the old blue, i came up with this.

KCRoyals.png

I like those a lot, but I don't see much of the Negro League throwbacks in there but the away uniform pinstripes.

well thats how i started it..didnt say it was a replica of those..the only parts that were negro league inspired were the pinstripes and the KC i created (not identical to the negro lg style, but a comprimise)

kewp is right, it needs the gold. They are called the Royals after all. :)

That has more to do with the Annual Royal Lovestock Show (I believe that's what it was called--and key in on the word "Royal" here) that goes on (or used to go on) in KC before the city got the baseball franchise than any connotation of color, be it blue or gold. (That's for those who may not have known.)

I don't quite know what it is about both the "KC" and the "Royals" marks on the jerseys that makes it seem sorta off-balance, but hey--if you wanna opt to go for the baby blue instead of gold as a trim, this is the way to do it, here. Nice, folk.

First, I love the elimination of gold with light blue. It smooths the whole scheme out. Second, I love the new "KC" script. It's beyond words (but not letters :P).

I'm not lovin' the "motion script" of "Royals" for the homes. A standard arch will be perfect. I like the roads, but I kinda want to see what they look like with Kansas City" on them instead.

Overall fantastic concept and they should switch immediately.

First, I love the elimination of gold with light blue. It smooths the whole scheme out. Second, I love the new "KC" script. It's beyond words (but not letters :P).

I'm not lovin' the "motion script" of "Royals" for the homes. A standard arch will be perfect. I like the roads, but I kinda want to see what they look like with Kansas City" on them instead.

I agree with this 100%. Only thing I would add is a mention of how great the road pinstripes look. Some team ought to wear white pinstripes on gray; it's a great look. The gray might need to be darkened just a bit, though, since it's pretty light to begin with and the stripes will lighten it even further for fans at the ballpark.

Teams with pinstripes don't typically go with horizontal trim on the sleeves. Off the top of my head I can't think of one that does (or ever did.) It would look pretty odd on an actual jersey. If you want the trim, go vertical (see 80's Mets / Phillies.)

Colors: Love it. Overused in some sports, but not MLB.

Pinstripes: Works at home. Not fond on the road.

Script. Like the "KC" on the road. Not fond of the "Royals" font. The way it gets smaller, like the padres used to, does not say "baseball" to me.

Patch. Nice patch, but it should be on the left sleeve, IMO

Teams with pinstripes don't typically go with horizontal trim on the sleeves. Off the top of my head I can't think of one that does (or ever did.) It would look pretty odd on an actual jersey. If you want the trim, go vertical (see 80's Mets / Phillies.)

i dont have any horizontal pinstripes. not sure what you are talking about

i dont have any horizontal pinstripes. not sure what you are talking about

I'm pretty sure he's talking about the horizontal trim around the jersey cuffs. Assuming that to be the case, allow me to be the one to contradict him. The late 70s/early 80s Mets (pre-racing stripes, think Elliott Maddux and Lee Mazzilli) had blue-orange-blue stripes on the cuffs of their pinstriped home jerseys).

As for this concept, my only criticism is with regard to the home wordmark. I agree with everyone who said that a simple, evenly sized arched wordmark would be better. Otherwise, these are really nice (though I still prefer the present KC to yours -- sorry).

EDIT -- Upon rereading, I see that BBTV said "typically". That is correct, since it is unusual. Therefore, I don't think I contradicted him by mentioning the Mets.

The Cubs did in the 80s and into the 1990s.

Archived