US Soccer Concept

gordie_delini

I'm not really sold on putting gold on the collar. What if the collars remained as they were before(maybe even a red collar on the red jersey instead of blue) and the stripe on the bottom of the back was gold instead of blue? That would be very subtle but a nice little touch. I do like the thin gold outline on the numbers, though. Personally, I think the U.S. should stay away from adding gold and silver to their schemes as much as possible but a thin number outline and that back hem piping would be classy.

As for the crest, the thing that has been bothering me the most are the points on the top of the crest. They are straight angled and then suddenly turn into a curve up into the middle, which then goes back to a straight line at the top of the center point. If you're wedded to this basic crest shape I think smoothing out that part and making it all curved would help. My favorite crest so far is the one without the ball, without the additional blue outline and the second gold outline, and with the two tone stars. Maybe add an eagle. You could possibly create an eagle head at the bottom of the red and white striped portion near the point by changing the shape of the red stripes at the bottom and having the head appear out of the white negative space. Profile eagle head, curve of the head and beak being created by curving the bottoms a couple red stripes, and eye in there somewhere. I'm just picturing it in my head and I don't know if it would actually work, but I don't think pasting an eagle on top of the stripes would solve anything. A negative space eagle would have to be made clear that that's what it was and that the red stripes weren't just ending randomly without beating the viewer over the head with "Look! Hidden eagle!". Not really sure how to pull that off.

I really think this could be an amazing concept, and you've definately got the skills to do it. I would buy those jerseys in a heartbeat.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The USA text is much, much better. Now that top area fits together.

The white stars look better to me than the white/gold.

I think people are right about the empty shield being too stark, but that ball doesn't really fit with the rest of the shield. It's very stylized and flashy/modern, while the rest of the shield is very clean and quasi-traditional. Is there another way to fit a ball in that meshes better? Or is there something else that could go in that area?

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I think the latest update is much better, the best one yet. I was thinking either you could straight the text...or leaved it curved like it was, but just change the upper badge design. My initial thought when I looked at this concept for the first time was that the upper flow/design of the crest/badge looked might odd and funky...like it didn't flow well with the rest of the curves in the design.

Maybe try going back to the curved USA but make the top of the crest also curve along it? I know it will simplify the outline of the crest as a whole, but it might look better overall.

I think the latest update is much better, the best one yet. I was thinking either you could straight the text...or leaved it curved like it was, but just change the upper badge design. My initial thought when I looked at this concept for the first time was that the upper flow/design of the crest/badge looked might odd and funky...like it didn't flow well with the rest of the curves in the design.

Maybe try going back to the curved USA but make the top of the crest also curve along it? I know it will simplify the outline of the crest as a whole, but it might look better overall.

I was going to suggest that as well, especially since the outline of the striped area is curved on top. I think it will flow better.

updated uni concept:

USSoccer-concept-unis2.png

This is just about perfect. Absolutely beautiful. I think our primary shirt color should be blue, what with that being the actual color Americans have traditionally used to designate "us" as opposed to "them". But be that as it may, your uniform idea is basically perfect. I would buy both of these jerseys if the U.S. adopted them, and I would protest loudly if, having adopted these, the U.S. ever significantly deviated from this style.

My only concern at all with this is the stars on the crest. I don't like them one bit, and I think it's for two reasons: 1. Proportionally to the rest of the crest, they're both too small and too busy. Simplify or enlarge. 2. Five stars just leaves me wondering, WTF? One star, three stars, thirteen stars, fifty stars: These are all viable numbers of stars on something representing the United States of America. Alternately, you could count up the total number of FIFA World Cups won by the U.S. National Team and use that many stars. Right now that number would be 2. Or you could include CONCACAF Gold Cup championships too, which would bring the numbers to 4 stars for the men, 8 stars for the women, or 12 stars for the U.S. federation.

And please, please keep the ball. The ball works with the stripes to suggest a goal being scored, and frankly the U.S. men's national team needs all the help they can get in remembering what the point of the game is. If one day a forward looks down at his own shirt and is inspired to recall that his job is to score goals, not merely to pass the ball back toward the midfield to keep the formation in shape, then putting the ball on the crest will have been worth it despite the naysayers.

20082614447.png

Archived