General Hockey Question

nwtrailtrekker

I've always wondered this

In what situation would a hockey player get the opportunity to shoot a penalty shot???

i know they are very rare and ive tried looking it up to no avail.

thanks for the help.

why i didnt check wikipedia, i dont know

sorry guys

G-R-A-V-

E-Y-ARD!!!!!!

(I HATE FERGIE!!!!!! her infernal tune is stuck in my head)

Getting fouled on a breakaway usually gets you a penalty shot. They happen about 10 times as often in NHL '94 for SNES as they do in real life.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Getting fouled on a breakaway usually gets you a penalty shot. They happen about 10 times as often in NHL '94 for SNES as they do in real life.

The shooters ability to shoot the puck has to be impeaded. If they can't get the shot off they'll get the PS, but if they manage to get it on net odds are it'll be a 2 minute minor

The shooter (or puckhandler) has to be clearly ahead of the defender when the defender commits a penalty against him, whether it's tripping, hooking, holding, etc. There doesn't have to be a shot on goal, just a generally assumed breakaway.

Also, if the goalie throws his stick at a puckhandler, or if anyone other than the goalie covers the puck in the crease with his hand, there is a penalty shot.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Phew! I hate it when General Hockey Questions are about things other than hockey, like badminton.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

From the NHL Rulebook which you can find at NHL.com. Rule 25.8:

There are 4 specific conditions that must be met in order for the referee to award a penalty shot for the play being fouled behind. They are:

(i) The infraction must have been taken over the opponent's half of the ice (i.e over the center red line); Note: This is being changed for next year a penalty shot can be awarded anywhere from the neutral zone and offensive zone.

(ii) The infraction must have been committed from behind.

(iii) The player in possession or control (or in the judgment of the referee, clearly would have obtained possession of the puck) must have been denied a reasonable chance to score (the fact that he got a shot off does not automatically eliminate this play from the penalty shot consideration criteria. If he was fouled from behind and he was denied a "more" reasonable scoring opportunity due to the foul, then a penalty shot should be awarded).

(iv) The player in possession or control (or in the judgment of the referee, clearly would have obtained possession of the puck) must have no opposing player between himself and the goalkeeper.

It's on page 100. http://cdn.nhl.com/rules/20062007rulebook.pdf

When I was at the Melbourne-Sydney game a couple weeks ago, Sydney got a penalty but I'm not sure what for. Admittedly, I'm no expert at the rules.

The Sydney player had his shot from a couple metres blocked by the goalie, it deflected off and as the Sydney player went to follow up and have another shot, the goalie was diving towards the puck sliding past the goals outwards, from where I was, there was very little contact but the goalies arm was hit by the Sydney player.

Nevermind, we won the game.

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

Archived