Nashville Sounds pitcher throws a perfect game

oz615

Finally some good sports news in Nashville

congratulations Manny Parra

Sounds win with perfect game

ROUND ROCK, Texas — There have been only three nine-inning perfect games thrown in Pacific Coast League history.

The Nashville Sounds now own two of them.

Left-hander Manny Parra threw a perfect game in his second Triple-A start as the Sounds beat the Round Rock Express 3-0 on Monday.

Parra (1-1) set a career high with 11 strikeouts. He threw 107 pitches — including

77 strikes — and did not face a three-ball count against any batter until the seventh inning.

Parra had full counts on Jason Lane and Cody Ransom in the eighth before retiring them on a groundball out and a pop out in foul territory.

"Honestly, I didn't get nervous at all," Parra told the Austin (Texas) American Statesman. "As far as I was concerned it was a 1-0

ballgame in the eighth inning and I fell behind a couple of guys.

"There's no denying it, I knew (what was going on) the whole time. You don't expect it. Crazy things happen in baseball. I have no idea what to do."

In the ninth inning, Parra struck out Humberto Quintero and pinch-hitter Barry Wesson. Jesse Garcia then popped up to first base to end the game.

The closest hit of the night came when Wesson chopped a high ground ball toward third, but it rolled foul.

"This is amazing. I was never really nervous with our defense," center fielder Tony Gwynn said. "If there was anything coming my way I was going to catch it, no doubt."

The Nashville victory, combined with a loss by Iowa, thrust the Sounds (45-32) back into first place in the American Conference Northern Division.

Nashville took the lead in the first inning when Callix Crabbe bowled over catcher Quintero to score on Joe Dillon's single. Mike Rivera added a two-run double in the eighth inning.

Tacoma's John Halama threw the first PCL perfect game on July 8, 2001. The Sounds' John Wasdin duplicated the feat on April 7, 2003 at Greer Stadium.

Parra may not be in Nashville long but this is just his second start at AAA, he took the roster spot of the best propect Gallardo who got the call up two weeks ago. Me and my dad were planning on catching Gallardo;s start that homestand Father's Day weekend and he went up to Milwaukee Friday morning. Damn the Brewers have alot of young good talent.

RobbyBox2.jpg

Archived