Afc championship

Fusebazell

Now, give me ONE example of a team that won a championship NO offense.

If we are talking literally, thats impossible. But you have to admit the Ravens offense was, erm, limited. It shows that offense isn't absolutely vital to winning the big one. I suppose people could say the Rams show a defense isn't absolutely vital to winning the big one, but I thnik most people would admit that only a serviceable offense is necessary were at least a good defense is necessary. And nowadays with teams being so close a good kicker is a bonus as well.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That offense wasn't THAT bad.  People say it was an injustice to let Dilfer go after the Super Bowl season... WHY if he lead such a poor, poor offense?  Jamal Lewis was playing solid and Trent Dilfer took the Seahawks within a game of the Playoffs the next year with NO defense.

You wanna know what wins GAMES?  Not defense.  Football games are won and lost at the line of scrimmage... which is the reason the Panthers have a very very good chance against the Carolina Panthers.

IUe6Hvh.png

You wanna know what wins GAMES? Not defense.

Football games are won and lost depending on defense. That's why i hate all of the people what want to overhaul the Overtime System "Both teams don't get to touch the ball"

Well ya know what Shirley, if you have the opening OT kickoff run back for a TD, you didn't Deserve to win, If you defense couldn't keep the opposing offense out of Field Goal range or out of the endzone, you didin't deserve to win.

Stop acting like the ony part of the team that win's or loses game is the Offense, it's not. Defenses carry the balance of the game on their shoulders. The Bengals lost Super Bowl XXIII because of blown coverages and sloppy defense, not because Joe Montana Magically made the balls appear in the recievers hands. If the Defense was played right, and effectivly, The Bengals have a Lombardi Trophy in their lobby...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

A. At what point did I say the offense alone wins and loses football games?  I'm the one who said you need some sort of balance to win a game.  Whether great O, good D, or vice versa.

B. You're gonna take back all of Elway's, Montana's, etc.'s comebacks because of how the defenses played them?  That's an f'n joke and you know it.

They got those comebacks because they found holes in the defense... not because the defense had coverage mistakes on every play in the last few minutes.  And the most important innovation of the modern football era is, perhaps, the West Coast Offense.  It was the West Coast Offense that made the 49ers a dynasty, not their defense.  And the Cowboys 3 big players on their dynasty?  Why they were offensive skill positions.  The Broncos teams?  They were absolutely stacked on offense.  The Rams Super Bowl team?  Well, that, my friend, was a team most noted for their ability on offense.  the '96 Packers were an offensive team as well.

Now the last few Super Bowl teams?

Ravens - had a horribly underrated offense.  Jamal Lewis tore teams apart in the postseason and they wouldn't have gotten to the Super Bowl (Would've lost to Oakland) if not for his efforts.

Patriots - They wouldn't have beaten ANY of their playoff opponents if not for the efforts of Antowain Smith on the ground, and Troy Brown as a reciever as well as his ability on special teams.  Reason they were underdogs to a high powered offense.  (Apparently the experts don't agree with you)

Bucs - There's a reason they were underdogs.  Problem for the Raiders: Bucs knew their entire system as well as they did.  If not for the Bucs having found their offense late in the season and into the postseason, we're talking about an Eagles/Raiders super bowl.

Panthers/Patriots - Why would people be upset at Brady not getting more MVP consideration if their defense was the only reason they got this far?

Panthers don't pick up Stephen Davis and they have another season in which they fail to make the postseason.  Just like the rest of their "great D, poor O" teams in years past.  (Yes, even in their weak division)

IUe6Hvh.png

Well we aren't gonna get much agreement on this, but what I would say is that most winning teams, in all sports, can defend. (The Yankees have had good pitching so they win, the Pats and Panthers have good defense so they beat the Colts, Eagles, etc. etc.) That isn't to say that some offense is also needed, but as I said earlier if you have a good D, you might only need your offense to average maybe 17-20 points a game  to have a good winning record, but with a weak D you may need a 27-30 point average, and you have to admit that scoring maybe 20 points a game is easier than scoring maybe 30 points a game.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Archived