Missing: Whalers & Islanders logos

hjwii

Riddle me this...

Why is it one cannot find any Hartford Whalers and the Islanders' fisherman merchandise?

Now, perhaps I can understand the fisherman a lil bit... seems many people find him a tad bit ridiculous. But the Whalers perplex me. Sure, I finally got my Whalers jersey after buying a blank jersey here, and numbers there, and a crest on Ebay...then bringing to a local shop to have it all put together... But, it wouldn't it had been easier to go to nhl.com...?

Anyways, just curious. We people down in the deep south don't get much hockey news....

As I understand it -- and there are others who have more knowledge on the subject than I do, so please feel free to correct me -- the State of Connecticut acquired the Hartford Whalers name and logos as a condition of them leaving for Carolina, and has refused to license them anyone ever since.

As for the Islanders' Sea Captain logo, I have no idea.

*sigh* read the FAQ on this site.

Hey...whaddya know... number 13 on the FAQ... really never though of looking on the FAQ... figured that was more for posting and board info...

Still, the FAQ doesn't tell me about Sea Cap'n... so I figure I should only be scolded by, I duuno, let's say 33% of the viewing public...

I don't blame them.

As for the Whalers, there isn't a link (referenced in the FAQ). Can anybody verify that the state owns them? I know CT paid $30M for the "assets", and I know that one of the recent suitors proposed buying the name and trademarks from the state, but I haven't found an actual legitimate source verifying the transaction.

USPTO has the marks as "abandoned," FWIW.

Those Islanders Fisherman jerseys are on ebay all the time. They're actually quite common in my opinion.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

I'm with spyboy, I see the Gorton Fisherman on ebay alot too.

I picked up both of my Whalers jerseys on ebay also.

A white authentic Geoff Sanderson #8 and a blank white replica.

keep checking and be wary of bad knockoffs using SP jerseys or goalie cuts.

I don't blame them.

As for the Whalers, there isn't a link (referenced in the FAQ). Can anybody verify that the state owns them? I know CT paid $30M for the "assets", and I know that one of the recent suitors proposed buying the name and trademarks from the state, but I haven't found an actual legitimate source verifying the transaction.

USPTO has the marks as "abandoned," FWIW.

There has to be SOME reason as to why they don't sell Whalers merch, yet every other former team can be found. It would make sense in that regard.

Although, FWIW, according to Wikipedia it seems like the Governor had no intention in keeping the Whale:

In early 1996, negotiations between the Whalers and Connecticut Governor John Rowland to build a new $147.5 million arena seemed to be going well. However, negotiations fell apart when Rowland and the State refused Karmanos' demand to reimburse the Whalers for up to $45 million in losses during the three years the new arena was to be built. As a result, the team announced on March 26, 1997, that they would leave Hartford, one of the few times that a team announced it would leave its current city without having already selected a new city. Many suspected that Governor John Rowland did not want to keep the Whalers, as he harbored hopes of instead landing an NFL franchise. Ideally, Rowland wanted to use the state's resources to build an NFL stadium and did not have serious intentions of building an NHL arena for the Whalers.

So why the state would want all the trademarks is beyond me.

When I was a kid, I found the name "Whalers" quite distasteful.

Maybe i had just watched Star Trek IV.

Did anyone else find the name very un PC?

the hurricanes is equally as distasteful considering what Katrina did to NO and what hurricanes do to most areas hit by them.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

the hurricanes is equally as distasteful considering what Katrina did to NO and what hurricanes do to most areas hit by them.

I find Sharks distasteful because they maim people every year. Lightning strikes people, that should also be outlawed. And absolutely Vancouver should have to change it's name, Canucks are just scary people... B)

People just need to get over stuff... team names being one of them.

The other things are forces of nature as such though. Save the whales was big in the 80's and whaling was seen as a very despicable industry.

It's like calling a team the slave traders or telemarketers, no one likes those occupations.

When I was a kid, I found the name "Whalers" quite distasteful.

Maybe i had just watched Star Trek IV.

Did anyone else find the name very un PC?

No... my only problem with it was that I was getting in to hockey at about the same time as Burger King's fish sandwich was called the "whaler" and so the team always seemed to me like it was named after a fish sandwich from a fast food restaurant. :hockeysmiley:

indians4.png

"You could put an empty orange helmet on the 50-yard line at Cleveland Browns Stadium and 50,000 fans would show up to stare at it."

-Terry Pluto

The team was the Whalers, but also known as The Whale. So did they hunt themselves?

So, since the Oilers are also known as The Oil do they drill, pump from the ground and refine themselves?

(Come on, guys - this is like throwing a soft, underhand lob to Barry Bonds on the first pitch...) :hockeysmiley:

Hm

That would explain why in NHL 07 the Whalers arent available as an alternate vinatage jersey for the Canes

Really lame. I always loved using the Whale in previous games.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANAΒ | LAA | LARΒ | LAL | ASU | CSULB |Β USMNTΒ | USWNT |Β LAFCΒ | OCSC |Β MAN UTDΒ |

Archived