Missing: Whalers & Islanders logos

hjwii

The other things are forces of nature as such though. Save the whales was big in the 80's and whaling was seen as a very despicable industry.

It's like calling a team the slave traders or telemarketers, no one likes those occupations.

Whaling was huge in the 1800's and was a very important part of New England culture. It was an industry that really built up the region. Don't forget that the Whalers started out as the New England Whalers in Boston before moving to the Civic Center. But nonetheless, whaling was huge in Connecticut also, especialy in New London and Mystic.

how about the "Hartford Baby Seal Clubbers". Oilers is also kind of an un-eco friendly name, but that's getting awfully picky.

I am surprised that the team never came under fire, though, considering what public opinion of the whaling industry was back then. I think it would have been a better target for PETA than the whole silly "Packers" business (although I believe that was basically intended as joke in the first place. There was some other silly proposition they made recently, about volunteering to replace something with something? I see those stunts as being a little overboard and obnoxious *even when you take into account* their being meant as tongue-in-cheek.)

edit: I remember what I was thinking of. The whole "hand lotion for NBA players" press release.

Right, but the Hurricanes were named in honor of those who died in the hurricanes which often hit the Carolinas. It'd be tough to call a tribue offensive.

the hurricanes is equally as distasteful considering what Katrina did to NO and what hurricanes do to most areas hit by them.

I find Sharks distasteful because they maim people every year. Lightning strikes people, that should also be outlawed. And absolutely Vancouver should have to change it's name, Canucks are just scary people... B)

People just need to get over stuff... team names being one of them.

Archived