• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is official, they are out now.

1300749.jpeg

Athletic Department Unveils Athletic Spirit Marks

Complete Line Of Apparel Currently Available At CSU Bookstore

Aug. 22, 2007

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- A two-year process to update the Cleveland State athletic spirit marks and logos came to a completion on Wednesday (Aug. 22) when CSU Director of Athletics Lee Reed unveiled a new graphics package for Viking athletics.

As part of the unveiling, a complete line of apparel went on sale this morning at the CSU Bookstore, which is located at 2400 Euclid Ave.

"Today's unveiling is the culmination of almost two years of planning," Reed said. "We examined how our marks were being used and how they could be updated to reflect a more modern looking image that better represents our student-athletes."

The primary athletic mark, nicknamed "Peering Viking", consists of the upper half of a Viking head -- from the bridge of the nose on up -- peering out over the words Cleveland State, which is printed in the font Friz Quadrata. The focal point of the design is the heavy emphasis on the aggressive stare of the Viking, mostly coming from the strong eyes under the helmet.

"The development of Peering Viking came from one of the first meetings we had during the process," Reed said. "The designers in the CSU Marketing and Public Affairs office had put together over 100 different rough sketches and drawings for us to consider.

"While examining them, we folded one sample of a Viking helmet in half and laid it on top of some text, creating a look that we knew right then was going to be the final primary logo."

In addition to the primary mark, several secondary marks were created using versions of the phrases "Cleveland State" and "Vikings", the "V" symbol which had come into use over the last couple of years and the full and partial Viking head.

"As we went through the design process, it was our intention to not only create a mark that would become synonymous with Cleveland State Athletics, but to also examine the current ways that we are using the various phrases and marks and design options for our fans and coaches to use that fit naturally with the primary mark," Reed said.

"The font that has been used on the Peering Viking logo is the official font of athletics and we will use it whenever possible within the department. Along the same lines, the other secondary marks were created in anticipation of the many ways that we are currently use them."

The new mark has already been incorporated into the uniforms and other apparel that will be worn by CSU student-athletes this year. In addition, the basketball floor in the Wolstein Center has been redesigned using the new marks.

"The floor looks great," Reed said. "I can't wait for our basketball teams to play on it this winter."

The marks were created by Frank Cucciare, a former designer in the CSU Marketing and Public Affairs office, who is now the president of Blink Concepts & Design in Perrysburgh, Ohio.

"I have to commend Frank for a wonderful job on this project," Reed said. "He was passionate about the project from the very beginning and even when he left the university to start his own company, we had his full attention on this project. It was a once in a lifetime opportunity for him and the result show it."

Source: http://csuvikings.cstv.com/genrel/082207aaa.html

Actually... the Cleveland Plain Dealer (print version) shows a few alt logos. There is a "Full Viking head". The paper shows it placed with a diagonal "CSU". There is another logo that shows a pretty sharp "V" with the full head logo. The "Peering Viking" is a bad representation of the full Viking logo. It really isn't too bad.

I will try to find pics.

Actually... the Cleveland Plain Dealer (print version) shows a few alt logos. There is a "Full Viking head". The paper shows it placed with a diagonal "CSU". There is another logo that shows a pretty sharp "V" with the full head logo. The "Peering Viking" is a bad representation of the full Viking logo. It really isn't too bad.

I will try to find pics.

I have not had any luck in finding them online.. very very odd that they are not availible.

Seeing how Cleveland State is only about a half hour away from the University of Akron I can't help but notice the similarity between their new logo and Akron's "Fear The Roo" logo that they've had quite a bit of success with in terms of sales since debuting it a couple years ago. The cut-off peering face, and even the horns mirror the kanagroo's ears. Maybe it's just me, but seems quite similar...

fear-the-roo-800.jpeg

that peeping thing took two years and they had the "full attention" of the designer?...wow - i guess i'll reserve judgement until i see the rest of them, but it's odd they don't show any of the other marks in the release...why?

and are they going to stop using the old logo, 'cause that dude is still plastered all over their athletic site...

jldesigns404eo.png

that peeping thing took two years and they had the "full attention" of the designer?...wow - i guess i'll reserve judgement until i see the rest of them, but it's odd they don't show any of the other marks in the release...why?

and are they going to stop using the old logo, 'cause that dude is still plastered all over their athletic site...

Sorry, if that took two years and the designer's full attention, he should really look for another line of work. That's just pathetic.

Archived