Dakota Howls

RoughRiders9

I'll post the image since you didn't get it right in your post.

Dakota-Howls-Concept.jpg

Now my take on it, I think the uniforms are fine, there is nothing special there. The number font needs to be changed, that would be very difficult to read from far away. I like the wordmark, and the logo is okay, but it looks like it can be improved. This is great for your first full concept and I'm sure your future work will improve on this.

B)-->

QUOTE(Billy B @ Saturday, June 30th, 2007 - 20:55:37)

I'll post the image since you didn't get it right in your post.

Dakota-Howls-Concept.jpg

Now my take on it, I think the uniforms are fine, there is nothing special there. The number font needs to be changed, that would be very difficult to read from far away. I like the wordmark, but there is something about the logo that doesn't look right.

Thanks for posting the picture. I'm a bit new here :-)

I agree with the numbers, but what's wrong with the logo? It's just a wolf that's howling.... What can I do to fix it?

The wolf looks pretty good. There are just some details that can be improved. What stands out is the mouth. I think you need to add some teeth. I think that is what made it look a little off.

B)-->

QUOTE(Billy B @ Saturday, June 30th, 2007 - 21:06:53)

The wolf looks pretty good. There are just some details that can be improved. What stands out is the mouth. I think you need to add some teeth. I think that is what made it look a little off.

I understand what you're saying. But when I saw the pictures of the wolves howling, i never saw any teeth. I'm not trying to argue with you....

The only thing I see wrong with the wolf is the eye, it looks huge! Take a look at the Coyote's logo for example. Everything else is very nice. I'm not a huge fan of the colors though.

I think the name is cool, the dog looks great, and the colors are pretty good, although I associate the Dakotas with woods and nature and stuff, so maybe a red/green/gold/something like that color palette might work?

However, that number font is awful. How about just regular block numbers?

I think the name is cool, the dog looks great, and the colors are pretty good, although I associate the Dakotas with woods and nature and stuff, so maybe a red/green/gold/something like that color palette might work?

Except for the Black Hills and the Turtle Mountains and some areas along the rivers, there are no woods in North Dakota or South Dakota. These are the wide-open spaces, the endless prairie. So prairie green or gold with blue for the endless blue skies would be appropriate.

By the way, where would the Howl play?

Solid concept.

I particularly like how you've balanced light blue and black. This is a great, under-used color scheme, but an easy one to get wrong. You've pretty well nailed the overall color balance here to create a great-looking team.

I like Wolfs Bane font as much as the next guy, but you really can't use it for the numbers and player name. The width and odd letterforms of the numbers make it an absolute, non-negotiable, no-no as a number font. And the serifs make it unnecessarily hard to read at the small scale of the player's name. You'd be much better off with a block font or a simple sans-serif font for the numbers and player name. Good jersey scripts, though. Simple, clear, and effective.

I like the wolf logo in general -- other people here have offered great advice for improving it that I won't repeat -- but I think it would be a much stronger visual element with a significantly thicker black outline on the outside. It's all negative space with little definition; thickening the black outline should help a lot in this regard. Also, the second, blue outline looks unnecessary to me. It looks thrown on, in an "all the teams are doing this, so it must be the right thing to do" kind of way. But, you know, if the Devil Rays jumped off a bridge, would you jump off the bridge too?

Oh, and the black triangles in the fur at the bottom detracts from the wolf's ear. Once you thicken the overall outline, you can get rid of those black triangles and "raise" the bottom points of the neck fur so that the outline is thicker there; that will give you the edge-defining emphasis effect that you're going for with the ear-like black triangles.

Finally, the white-on-white aspect of the primary team logo leaves me a bit cold. It tells me that the team colors are white, white, gray, and light blue. Which I don't think is what you want to communicate. If you thickened the wolf's black outline and then made the moon blue (and made the "Howls" lettering black or white) you'd have a much stronger, clearer image, and the white-wolf-on-blue-moon element of the logo would look much sharper on your alternate jersey and cap than the wolf's head alone.

But like I said, I think you've absolutely nailed the big-picture color balance of the actual uniforms, and that's probably the hardest aspect of this concept to get right. So good work, and I hope you post a second draft for us to admire!

I agree that the logo look a little off for some reason. Maybe because the mouth, while it should be howling, doesn't look much like howling. Maybe close his mouth a tad, that would help.

As for the number font, it currently doesn't work. However, should you decide to make the numbers skinnier and eliminate the unnecessary serifs, you'd have a much, much improved font that would actually work.

Other than that, I like it. I like how you actually put the wolf in a moon-type shape, which helps with the theme a bit more. The scripts are the best part, though. Don't change those. Keep working on the other stuff, this has potential.

I've agreed with all the suggestions thus far. Overall, it's a solid concept that doesn't need whole lot of tweaking. However, I have one suggestion that could make it slightly better (or a whole lot worse).

Some people have mentioned that the logo looks a little "off" but have been unable to pinpoint it. Since wolves howl at the moon, I suggest you offset the moon to the right (so the wolf is on the left side). Nothing too drastic, but possibly giving a "target" for the wolf's cries.

That's just a pure suggestion that may work or may not. Something to chew on anyway.

I like the logo, it reminds me of the Phoenix Coyotes. Dont like how dakota is in the circle of the logo though. Maybe try to put it under HOWLS.

Archived