Canadian College Football

gmat

I have never actually started a new topic and it probably will not go anywhere, I just have a quick questions concerning Canadian College football. Do they follow the same rules as the CFL (three downs, longer and wider fields, returns on all kicks etc.), or are the rules more like the NCAA?

Why I am here, is college football popular in Canada, and which one US or Canadian?

Thanks in advance for answering some questions that I always wondered.

wwwaufderaxemo2.jpg

I only come around here once in a while to annoy you people, and by people I mean you mutha :censored:as.

I have never actually started a new topic and it probably will not go anywhere, I just have a quick questions concerning Canadian College football. Do they follow the same rules as the CFL (three downs, longer and wider fields, returns on all kicks etc.), or are the rules more like the NCAA?

Why I am here, is college football popular in Canada, and which one US or Canadian?

Thanks in advance for answering some questions that I always wondered.

College athletics in general in Canada are not very popular, at all. In some regions, Canadian college ball may be locally popular, but on a national scale its pretty much off the radar screen. Obviously, in markets without pro sports, it may be a bigger deal. I noticed this when I lived in Halifax, for example.

I listen to the all sports radio station here in Vancouver a fair amount, and I don't think I've ever even heard a caller or host mention athletics from the two universities in town, SFU or UBC, except perhaps in a passing reference to where a player on the BC Lions came from.

I'm actually not sure what rules the CIS uses.

Corvus has perhaps overstated things a bit, but it does tend to fly under the radar fairly well (although I agree that it is perhaps so in smaller, less athletically-saturated markets).

CIS football uses Canadian rules.

Attendance at the University of Manitoba football games is in the low thousands, if that, and they've been pretty competitive the last few years.

I do think things are trending up for CIS football. The CFL recently made its Canadian College Draft a live webcast (as opposed to the conference call it was until now), and despite the low production values, it's a step in the right direction.

The increasing popularity of the CFL is slowly having the ripple effect of people wanting to see what's coming down the pipe, and I believe that has had a marginally positive effect that could compound over time (if things continue as is).

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Oshawa has a university team and a college team... $20 says 70% of the population here does not know what either team is called.

To be fair that university only opened what? like 5 years ago? And it doesnt have a CIS football team. :P

1zqy8ok.gif

Oshawa has a university team and a college team... $20 says 70% of the population here does not know what either team is called.

To be fair that university only opened what? like 5 years ago? And it doesnt have a CIS football team. :P

The college has been around for 40 years, I included them in the "either" category... so :P

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Ahhhhh......those Ridgebacks.....how could I have missed it? The Canadian collegiate football empire that is the U of Ontario Institute of Technology...

:-D

I kid 'cuz I care....

willieMcGee_2.jpg

If you inherit Randy Johnson's facial genes, he owes you $97,000 at the very least.

Archived