Texas Longhorns

rtrich11

Thanks for the comments, guys. I think I'm going to stay away from the directly Western looking fonts, though. There's really nothing western-y about the campus and area. I realize it represents the whole state, so I could find a font with a wee hint of old style, perhaps, but I hadn't found one I liked yet.

That seems to be a big problem when it comes to designing things for UT. People not familiar with UT think it should have some kind of western look going with everything I know the band uniforms and other organizations like the wranglers have cowboy looks about them, but having been to the campus and knowing that Austin is not exactly the frontier that it used to be, a western design is not the way to go for UT. Plus it would be way to stereotypical. It it difficult to create a logo that could chalange a classic, but your bottom one could do well on merchanside.

Thanks for the comments, guys. I think I'm going to stay away from the directly Western looking fonts, though. There's really nothing western-y about the campus and area. I realize it represents the whole state, so I could find a font with a wee hint of old style, perhaps, but I hadn't found one I liked yet.

That seems to be a big problem when it comes to designing things for UT. People not familiar with UT think it should have some kind of western look going with everything I know the band uniforms and other organizations like the wranglers have cowboy looks about them, but having been to the campus and knowing that Austin is not exactly the frontier that it used to be, a western design is not the way to go for UT. Plus it would be way to stereotypical. It it difficult to create a logo that could chalange a classic, but your bottom one could do well on merchanside.

What I meant as far as a western font was a subtle hint of western taken off from a strong serifed font.

Texas the state symbolizes the West, and the university takes advantage of that. The band is all Western. The nickname Longhorns is all Western. Sure, Austin may be a sophisticated city, but why not go with a Western font when everything else the university stresses, at least within athletics, is Western?

The University of Texas takes pride in its Western roots. The font should show that pride.

Archived