NHL Free Agent Signings

number81

Here is the first thing I've seen, regarding Drury, Gomez and '23'...

l_f3fb888681393f84032640aa459b56e8.jpg

From newyorkrangers.com

http://www.newyorkrangers.com/pressbox/pre...ses.asp?id=2955

"For their introductory press conference, both Drury and Gomez appeared in No. 23 Rangers jerseys. They were ushered onto the New York Knicks practice court by Rangers President and General Manager Glen Sather and Head Coach Tom Renney, who introduced them to the local media and posed for photos with the newcomers.

Recognizing that both players had a preference for No. 23 -- which Drury wore in Buffalo and Gomez had in New Jersey -- Sather flipped a puck to determine who would get the number with the Blueshirts next season.

The winner of the puck flip was Drury, who called heads prior to the flip. Getting his number brought a smile to the face of the 30-year-old, who grew up a Rangers fan in Trumbull, Conn., and has described the opportunity to play in New York as a dream come true."

I'm kinda of surprised that Drury still wanted '23'. He wore '37' as an Av, until Adam Deadmarsh was traded in the Blake deal. With Deadmarsh gone, he was able to switch to his college number '18'. When he was traded to Calgary (btw - worst trade in Avs history!) he wore '37' again; '18' wasn't available. When he made his way to Buffalo, neither '18' or '37' was available, and so he chose '23' to honor Don Mattingly. According to the Rangers.com roster, both '18' and '37' are available.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm kinda of surprised that Drury still wanted '23'. He wore '37' as an Av, until Adam Deadmarsh was traded in the Blake deal. With Deadmarsh gone, he was able to switch to his college number '18'. When he was traded to Calgary (btw - worst trade in Avs history!) he wore '37' again; '18' wasn't available. When he made his way to Buffalo, neither '18' or '37' was available, and so he chose '23' to honor Don Mattingly. According to the Rangers.com roster, both '18' and '37' are available.

Maybe he was smiling because he knew he could "sell" the number to Gomez for some extra cash and use another number. :D

Detroit Dragons - 2010 ULL Gait Cup Champions

Detroit Cougars - 2010 and 2011 WAFA Wills Cup Champions

I wonder what # Petr Sykora will wear in Pittsburgh. He wore #71 with the Oilers, wore #17 with the Rangers and Devils and i think #39 or #9 or #19 with the Ducks.

I hope he take #17 in Pittsburgh, no way Malkin is giving up #71 and he has the #17 available to him.

Sydor could have #5 if Scuderi gives it up to him, or could take #4.

LETS GO PENGUINS!

5x Stanley Cup Champions

according to the Caps roster page Kozlov will wear #25 and Poti will wear #3.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

I agree, I hadn't made the connection in the numbers but I expected Drury to take 18. As for his desire for the number with the Avs, he offered Adam Deadmarsh a Rolex for the number when he showed up to Colorado, but was declined. And something I always found interesting, Drury took 18 for the 2002 US Olypmic team since he was in the first "wave" of players the announced. Deadmarsh joined in the second wave and took 28 despite the fact he had seniority and had worn #18 at the last olympics. Does Gomez take 32 out of this? Thats my guess.

SEAsig.png

The Paul Kariya press conference is tomorrow at 1pm in St. Louis.

Jay McClement currently has #9. He's established himself on this team now, but he's young and not a star, so I wouldn't be surprised if he gives or sells the number to Paul. Not sure whether that's been discussed yet though.

Jay McClement currently has #9. He's established himself on this team now, but he's young and not a star, so I wouldn't be surprised if he gives or sells the number to Paul. Not sure whether that's been discussed yet though.

Updating...

It's been reported now that Jay McClement is giving his #9 to Kariya (though Kariya told him that it wasn't necessary). Jay will wear #18 (which he wore throughout his pre-NHL career).

Quick update of the Flyers' roster in the wake of their personnel moves:

Joffrey (WTF is that?) Lupul - #15

Daniel Briere - #48... like there was any doubt

Scott Hartnell - #19 (Jeff Carter's had #17 since he came up)

Kimmo Timonen - #44 (now that Joni Pitkanen is in the Great White North, #44 is handed off to another player anointed Best Finnish Defenseman on the team, picking up where Niinimaa and Pitkanen left off... Kimmo's brother, Jussi, wears #46 for the Orange & Black)

Jason Smith - #21

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Updating...

It's been reported now that Jay McClement is giving his #9 to Kariya (though Kariya told him that it wasn't necessary). Jay will wear #18 (which he wore throughout his pre-NHL career).

Got a link on that? We've got a thread going at DH.N about general number stuff and that was my prediction, I'd like to take credit for being right for once. :)

Oh, and I might as well cross-post my Red Wings prediction... Rafalski takes #28, Kopecky drops to #27.

Updating...

Got a link on that? We've got a thread going at DH.N about general number stuff and that was my prediction, I'd like to take credit for being right for once. :)

Oh, and I might as well cross-post my Red Wings prediction... Rafalski takes #28, Kopecky drops to #27.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=8429

17d39f21-957a-437b-8af3-d3e112b5259f.gif

Caps website says Nylander will wear 92 in his 2nd stint w/ the Caps. =)

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Updating...

Here a pic with Kariya and his #9. The Blues website also says Keith Tkachuk is back to wearing #7.

l_76f2e33a77702176ed3b0381622d8adf.jpg

Caps website says Nylander will wear 92 in his 2nd stint w/ the Caps. =)

Did he wear something other his last time around? I dont know my Nylander history that far back!

I'm guessing Bertuzzi will wear #41 which hes worn for international type stuff before.

SEAsig.png

From the Islanders website

http://islanders.nhl.com/team/app/?service...rticleid=327958

Numbers have been assigned to the new Islanders.

Bill Guerin ? #13. Worn it most of his career ? it?s his wife?s lucky number ? and not about to change now.

Mike Comrie ? Assume he?s going with #89. That?s been his number. He?s in California right now and we didn?t want to wake him up.

Jon Sim ? #16. Wore #14 with Atlanta.

Ruslan Fedotenko ? Tank wanted 17, but Shawn Bates owns it. He asked if 19 and 22 were available ? hey, he?s from Kiev ? and those jersey numbers are not. When told by equipment manager Scott Boggs 26 was available, Tank said, "Let me think about it over the weekend. Oh, never mind. Go for it."

I know it's not uniform related, but I can't resist... Quoting from the same page...

An amazing day yesterday. Bill Guerin tells me he loved "how the Islanders went for it" in bringing Ryan Smyth at the trade deadline. Mike Comrie tells reporters how Smyth unequivocally told him Long Island would be perfect to take the next step in his career.

"Uh, Bill, Mike, this just in - Ryan Smyth isn't on the Islanders anymore..." :)

Archived