Logo Ripoff

meetthemets

Okay, I agree.

I didn't see it in the smaller size, but you guys are right. Somebody took a vector image and adapted it.

Good catch.

Well, kind of. The first logo he posted of the Fiesta Bowl is drastically different than the second logo.

This has been a very silly exercise.

Are you saying there was a bait-and-switch, edited post?

Okay, I agree.

I didn't see it in the smaller size, but you guys are right. Somebody took a vector image and adapted it.

Good catch.

Well, kind of. The first logo he posted of the Fiesta Bowl is drastically different than the second logo.

This has been a very silly exercise.

Are you saying there was a bait-and-switch, edited post?

There were three total images posted. First, these two:

front.gif

BCS.png

and then later, this one:

BCSCG_yemo3zfgqce8zpihqyy7.gif

As you can see, the BCS images are different. Yes, the streetball image and the large BCS image are using the exact same bottom half -- which qualifies as "rip-off," I guess. But the initial posting used a different image.

I feel like I've invested far more thought than this ever required.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

No, you're missing the point. I acknowledge that it is theft. However, the question as far as it being protected boils down to if a reasonable person would be confused between the two. No one within reason is going to confuse basketball and football. There is enough changed to distinguish the difference. Just because something is similar doesn't equate to identity theft. This is theft, just not as the level you're making it out to be.

So what "level" is taking an existing logo, cutting off the top and replacing it with a clip-art basketball and adding new text? The fact that some parts of the logo didn't change at all is about as blatant as it gets. To answer your other question, I would think a reasonable person would be confused. I was confused when I first saw it. The fact that they are two different sports has nothing to do with it.

No, you're missing the point. I acknowledge that it is theft. However, the question as far as it being protected boils down to if a reasonable person would be confused between the two. No one within reason is going to confuse basketball and football. There is enough changed to distinguish the difference. Just because something is similar doesn't equate to identity theft. This is theft, just not as the level you're making it out to be.

So what "level" is taking an existing logo, cutting off the top and replacing it with a clip-art basketball and adding new text? The fact that some parts of the logo didn't change at all is about as blatant as it gets. To answer your other question, I would think a reasonable person would be confused. I was confused when I first saw it. The fact that they are two different sports has nothing to do with it.

No, the fact that there is enough changing to tell the difference is. When this thread first began, people still had to have some of this stuff pointed out. I'm not saying this is OK. However, exactly how are you confused? Did you walk into a basketball contest thinking it was the BCS Championship? If that's the case, you have bigger problems. Many graphics, movie plotlines, etc are rehashes of old material. Very little is original these days. Are the logos similar? Absolutely. Can a reasonable individual tell the difference? Absolutely.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

No, the fact that there is enough changing to tell the difference is. When this thread first began, people still had to have some of this stuff pointed out. I'm not saying this is OK. However, exactly how are you confused? Did you walk into a basketball contest thinking it was the BCS Championship? If that's the case, you have bigger problems. Many graphics, movie plotlines, etc are rehashes of old material. Very little is original these days. Are the logos similar? Absolutely. Can a reasonable individual tell the difference? Absolutely.

When I say I was confused I meant that I saw it and I said "okay, they just took the bottom half of the BCS logo and used it as their own." I wasn't confused in the sense that I thought it was an expention of the BCS. It didn't have to confuse me to make me realize that someone ripped it off. If I went by your theory then I could take any part of any logo, use it in something I am doing and call it my own, as long as it's not "confusing" people, I change it around just enough and people can tell the difference between the two. The fact that "very little is original these days" is a poor excuse for theft.

When I say I was confused I meant that I saw it and I said "okay, they just took the bottom half of the BCS logo and used it as their own." I wasn't confused in the sense that I thought it was an expention of the BCS. It didn't have to confuse me to make me realize that someone ripped it off. If I went by your theory then I could take any part of any logo, use it in something I am doing and call it my own, as long as it's not "confusing" people, I change it around just enough and people can tell the difference between the two. The fact that "very little is original these days" is a poor excuse for theft.

Who is excusing theft? You as an logo enthusiast would pick up on this. The average joe probably wouldn't pick up on this. In fact, they might not pick up on it if they were side by side. You may not like it, but the reality is many graphics have similarities. These similarities may be close enough to believe they are stolen. However, that doesn't necessarily make it so. My original point is to press for infringement, it has to be different enough to not confuse the average person into believing one image represented another. That doesn't mean completely different, just different enough. Guess what. That is the case here. Plus you'd have to press that the limited similarity of this image was damaging. That is simply not the case. If this were a logo for an entity, you'd have more reason to be upset. But this is an event graphic. It just doesn't have the same entanglements as other graphics.

Very little is purely original. If you can't get past that, then you're not living in the real world. You can take someone else's graphic as a base and retain 30% of it and still not infringe on someones rights. That is what I was getting at. It would be great if the artist made the logo from scratch, but he didn't. Oh well. Move on.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

I'm not going to argue semantics with you. If you are really convinced that these are just similar and not a complete rip-off then I guess we'll just agree to disagree. IMO the logo is a complete lift, bottom line. I'm sure most people would agree. That was my point. They aren't two logos that will be a staple in everyone's daily lives, fine, but it's more the principle of the situation that I was alluding to which you obviously don't see a problem with because there's already "very little originality" in the world. Sure I can get past it, but your "everybody's already doing it" is still a weak argument.

I'm not going to argue semantics with you. If you are really convinced that these are just similar and not a complete rip-off then I guess we'll just agree to disagree. IMO the logo is a complete lift, bottom line. I'm sure most people would agree. That was my point. They aren't two logos that will be a staple in everyone's daily lives, fine, but it's more the principle of the situation that I was alluding to which you obviously don't see a problem with because there's already "very little originality" in the world. Sure I can get past it, but your "everybody's already doing it" is still a weak argument.

Dude, I already said it wasn't right. Apparently you can't read. I get that. However, what you have your undies in a bunch over is perfectly legal. Do you understand that much? There was no more to that in my original post. :censored:in chill.

shysters_sm.jpg

Archived