If the Jazz and Rockets were in the NFL

bryn456

A few months ago I started a mini project to design NFL jerseys for NBA teams. So far I have made:

The Bucks - http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m30/dan...nt/bucksset.png

The Hornets - http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m30/dan...ant/hornets.png

The Celtics - http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m30/dan...ant/celtics.png

The Cavs - http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m30/dan...nt/cavsset2.png

Recently I had some free time so I decided to revive the project. I came up with uniforms for the Jazz and the Rockets.

Jazz

jazz.png

Looking at the Jazz NBA jerseys, the first thing I noticed was the piping. So I decided to have that as the main theme for the jerseys - putting thin stripes/pipes on the helmet, jersey and pants.

Rockets

rockets.png

The main feature of the Rockets NBA jerseys is the colored arcs going from under the sleeves to the shoulders. This wouldn't really work on a football jersey, since the underarm area is spandex so a colored arc couldn't run across that. So after trying a few different ideas, the best place seemed to be over the shoulders like the similar to what the Chargers have.

C+C please

Meh.

GENERAL COMMENT: Both teams use proprietary fonts that were developed exclusively for that team's use, yet you didn't use these fonts. Instead, for the Jazz, you used what looks to be the LA Kings' font for the numbers and the Denver Broncos for the names; for the Rockets, it looks like something between Impact and what the University of Oregon uses for basketball and some of their football jerseys. Given that both teams' identities are strongly reinforced through their custom wordmarks, wouldn't it further your connection by using the proper fonts?

JAZZ: The piping on the sides of the jersey don't match up with the piping on the pants, which draws the eye to what appears to be an error in design. Light blue logo on light blue helmet equals difficult to see. Thin navy helmets won't be noticeable on a light blue helmet with a wide light blue stripe running down the middle, either. This leaves a lot to be desired, to be honest. Trying to make a concept centered entirely on thin pieces of piping is a risky proposition at best. Piping isn't meant to be anything more than an accent; it's not a motif.

ROCKETS: I get what you were trying to do, but it didn't translate well. The arcs don't look like arcs at all; they look like UCLA-style shoulder stripes or claw marks, and amorphous squiggles on the helmet. There's also an awful lot of gray in this concept. When people think of the Rockets, they think red - be it the ketchup & mustard of old or the current set. Gray is an accent color, yet the pants are gray, the helmet's gray, and there's a gray alternate jersey. That's an awful lot of a secondary color that was never intended to be this prominent. Gray also would pose the problem of being too light to wear against a team wearing white jerseys, and not light enough to wear against a team in their dark uniforms. White numbers on gray jerseys is also highly difficult to read.

I'm just not feelin' this. Sorry.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Meh.

GENERAL COMMENT: Both teams use proprietary fonts that were developed exclusively for that team's use, yet you didn't use these fonts.

JAZZ: Trying to make a concept centered entirely on thin pieces of piping is a risky proposition at best. Piping isn't meant to be anything more than an accent; it's not a motif.

ROCKETS: The arcs don't look like arcs at all; they look like UCLA-style shoulder stripes or claw marks, and amorphous squiggles on the helmet.

There's also an awful lot of gray in this concept.

Hmm I see what you mean, but:

General - I did these concepts in Paint, so the only numbers I could really use were those in the templates designed for Paint on this site. I tried to choose ones that looked similar to those on the NBA jerseys

Jazz: The only bit on their NBA jersey which stops the jersey from being solid blue are thin stripes of powder blue. So I decided to make a uniform which is basically solid navy jerseys with solid powder blue pants, with some thin piping as subtle detail.

Rockets: Maybe I shouldn't really call them arcs but the gray accents on the jerseys and pants are meant to share some similarities with the actual arcs on their NBA jerseys. I was kinda limited by Paint as it doesn't allow for sharp narrow lines so I couldn't use the actual oval arcs off their NBA jerseys. Also they wouldn't really make good shoulder stripes. Due to Paint's resolution problems, the pant/helmet stripes had to be quite short. If I had Photoshop I would make the pant and helmet stripes longer.

Also their current jerseys are red and gray:

HOU_3063.gif

So I decided to use gray as my secondary color. I remember how the people on here (and myself) hate the monochrome uniforms with jerseys and pants both the same color. So I made the pants on the home jersey gray.

Archived