Tampa Bay Baseball Concept

patsox

TBDevilRaysConceptv1.png

Revision

TBDRbeta.png

I tried to make this concept represent the colors and feel of the Tampa/St.Petersburg area. I also tried to give it a timeless feel, something the Devil Rays are presently lacking. Also, the TB is supposed to sort of symbolize the shape and image of a Devil Ray without being too obvious. I was torn in half trying to decide whether to use the image on the left or the image on the right, so I posted both. I honestly can't decide which is better.

C&C Welcome and appreciated. I hope this is clean enough for you.

DevilRaysHD.png

TampaBayDevilRaysHomeUniformConcept.png

The presentation is nice but there are a few basic critiques you could make to really boost these. I don't really like the "TB" logo because it doesn't at all remind me of a Ray. The "T" looks like a whale's tail. A basic intersecting "TB" would look nice and classy. Another thing is that the two unis are identical except one has the yellow outlines. One should probably be grey. Perhaps include a basic collar or sleeve piping or pattern. Lastly, what's with the sleeve logo? It doesn't really seem like it fits in.

Well, you're right. It's cleaner. The logo is an interesting idea, but it's not coming across that well right now. The look of the uniform is kinda boring. Two of the colors on your palette of four aren't represented. Are they for the road jerseys? Perhaps spend some time refining the logo and the idea for the uniforms. You do put out an astonishing amount of concepts, but you'd be better served to do 1/4 the amount and put the rest of your effort into refining and just general brainstorming about the ideas.

Nice concept.

The yellow on the home uniforms isn't really working for me, perhaps if you had it in some sleeve striping, it would not get lost so much, outlining the number in yellow against that white really gets lost. But I wouldn't suggest reversing it for a quick fix. If you did mock ups of an away uniform, perhaps the yellow would stand up against a gray jersey better. Or us it as part of a "Tampa Bay" script on an away uniform as an accent color, similar to what the Padres use. Maybe it's because yellow isn't a color that is used that much on uniforms, except for the bat on Stl jerseys and Mil., but I usually see yellow being outlined in black to make it stand out more.

If you revise the concept, fine, if not, still good effort. It does to seem to have more of a minor-league feel to it.

This concept is much cleaner, good job on that front. As Sgoalie19, mentioned the TB doesn't acheive your goal. The T looks like a whale tail and the serifs on the B look piratey. I wouldn't completely scratch the idea, just this version isn't there.

You have that "classic and timeless" look you were going for but one version oozes that feel. (It's the right side.) I worry that the pastel colors aren't going to be visible enough but it may be workable as is.

The thing that doesn't fit is the Ray-patch. It's black. I know it's what they currently have but black doesn't fit with all these light colors. I think you have to nix the sleeve patch. (Besides, that will also add to the "classic" feel.)

A relatively clean concept? Well done! The colour choices are a little... weak? Also, there's that sandy brown and gray colours in your palette, but I don't find it anywhere on the jerseys/logos. Then you have that current Devil Ray logo on the arms, but you don't have black on your colour palette. Then, the no-nameplate idea doesn't make much sense for a team like Tampa Bay. The teams that go with that idea are teams with rich traditions, whereas TB has only been in existence since 1998. The no-nameplate idea is probably just a subtraction just for your own sake of making a "different" concept, and it's not working. Lastly, I agree with a post above, that the T looks like a whale's tail.

But, what the heck, you're most likely going to ignore the comments anyways.

I'm not going to ignore the comments. If you look at some pics of Devil Rays on the internet you will see that they look like the top of the T when they jump out of the water.

Could you post an image on where I could see anything remotely similar to that T?

I'm not going to ignore the comments. If you look at some pics of Devil Rays on the internet you will see that they look like the top of the T when they jump out of the water.

Could you post an image on where I could see anything remotely similar to that T?

Here ya go

Here ya go

Wow... that's not even close. Did you try to do a birds-eye view or what?

I'm going to have to be the "ya, I agree" guy here, and say that I just "don't get" the logo. I see a whale tail and maybe a fishhook? I'm just not picking up on the Stingray, even with the picture you posted.

I think you need another color in there. On a gray uniform, that light blue might blend right in. I'd honestly go for the dark green, go with kind of a "Tulane" feel. Navy'd work as well, but with light blue and yellow, navy's always used. Let's try something diff'rent here, eh?

Where's the sand/peachy color coming from? I don't see it in the logos or uniforms...which is probably for the better. It doesn't mesh well with the other colors.

For the uniforms, they're a bit overly simple. Some piping or stripes would go a long way. Or heck, maybe even a vest? I really think there are few teams that can pull of the left chest logo, and they're the Tigers, Cubs, Yanks, and Reds. I'd leave it for them, since, well, they kinda have history in their respective franchises.

The "TB" actually has the makings of an anchor, which could be another concept entirely. Maybe work off that sometime. Agreed that the colors are unique, but too bland for a major league team. Or the Devil Rays.

This is a good start. I agree the logo needs to be reworked to look more like a ray and less like a whale. I also think there needs to be more on the jersey, and a second accent color (like navy or forest green) so the logo and numbers don't blend into the jersey so much. You're going in a good direction, keep at it! Oh, and we're all glad to see that this isn't sloppy at all. Good job!

This is a good start. I agree the logo needs to be reworked to look more like a ray and less like a whale. I also think there needs to be more on the jersey, and a second accent color (like navy or forest green) so the logo and numbers don't blend into the jersey so much. You're going in a good direction, keep at it! Oh, and we're all glad to see that this isn't sloppy at all. Good job!

1. I'll agree with this - it is a good start.

2. The light blue is a little washed out. It looks like your color scheme revolves around a very pale blue and gold. Neither is going to come across as very strong, so you may need to add something for balance. Or make the light blue less faded.

3. Tone down the wordmark a tad - it's overwhelming your concept. And I don't know how many people here are angling to take your stuff... :rolleyes:

4. I'm with the others who don't see a ray in your monogram. I see a whale's tail. I'd venture to guess that the ray-as-letter-T experiment has come up short, and it may be time to look for a new way. The anchor isn't a bad idea, but if you're going to shoehorn these letters into something resembling a ray, you're not there yet.

5. I like the idea of using the gold trim for the number. But I would still strengthen your blue.

6. I won't give compliments for doing what should be done, but... the cleanliness of this presentation did not go unnoticed.

Is this better?

C&C Welcome and appreciated.

Honestly, no.

Now you're just overreaching. Trying to make it a 3-letter monogram that's also the shape of a ray is attempting to hit everything in one shot and hitting nothing. Go in one direction or the other. Either use a ray as your logo, or go with a "TB"/"TBR" monogram. But trying to do both is going to leave you with what you've got - a shape that kinda sorta looks like a ray in places, and kinda sorta looks like some letters in other places, but overall, it looks like a shapeless jumble of black lines that the eye and brain process as neither a ray nor letters.

Archived