FOUND: Unused Reebok Capitals concept

ebod39

The "Capitals" in the Old English font doesn't do it for me, but the single W on the shorts is nice I think. It reminds me of the Oklahoma City Blazers "B" that they have been using recently. I wouldn't mind seeing the W as the logo for a 3rd jersey, much the same way OKC does it.

Well, the W wouldn't work at all with the new Caps set.

But the W would look great for the Nationals. Old English be damned -- that's pretty much exactly the W that appears as the first letter of the signing draft of the U.S. Constitution. If the W from the original "We the People ..." and a wordmark based on it isn't appropriate for a team in Washington, then people should stop bothering to design sports uniforms entirely.

That said, I think I like this uniform concept even less than the actual new Caps uniforms, which is saying something. The new Caps unis are the Arlington Road of hockey uniforms, but at least they have clean lines and consistent iconography. (Sort of like how Arlington Road, despite being possibly The Worst Movie Ever Made, at least has one very good special effect.) This concept looks like a very messy first draft, the sort of thing that might inspire interesting further work but that should never be seen by the client.

20082614447.png

But the W would look great for the Nationals. Old English be damned -- that's pretty much exactly the W that appears as the first letter of the signing draft of the U.S. Constitution. If the W from the original "We the People ..." and a wordmark based on it isn't appropriate for a team in Washington, then people should stop bothering to design sports uniforms entirely.

Interesting. Sounds like it would make a great concept.

Couldn't agree more, just thinking about that idea is making my fingers fidget for a pencil. As for this ...

Caps1.jpg

Its far too scattered conceptually .. is it trying to allude back to an old school Washington style, or rather a more modern Texans style? The merging of the two doesn't fit here.

And for gods sake .. will someone PLEASE tell Reebok that hockey sweaters have CRESTS on them .. not wordmarks. The Capitals can be considered an exception as they have a history with it (although I would still prefer to see a well crafted crest for them). The only time letters are allowed on the front of a sweater is in a diagonal pattern ... and even then, it must be relevant to the club's or region's history.

Am I the only guy that thinks this set is far better than anything else the Caps have ever had? I guess so. To me, it's absolutely fantastic. It's a completely radical design and the road script here looks great.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Couldn't agree more, just thinking about that idea is making my fingers fidget for a pencil. As for this ...

Caps1.jpg

Its far too scattered conceptually .. is it trying to allude back to an old school Washington style, or rather a more modern Texans style? The merging of the two doesn't fit here.

And for gods sake .. will someone PLEASE tell Reebok that hockey sweaters have CRESTS on them .. not wordmarks. The Capitals can be considered an exception as they have a history with it (although I would still prefer to see a well crafted crest for them). The only time letters are allowed on the front of a sweater is in a diagonal pattern ... and even then, it must be relevant to the club's or region's history.

Das uniform ist shiesse!!

leo.jpg

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

Funny you should ask. I've been kicking this around for years. Here are a selection of caps using Nats colors and a W copied almost exactly from the Constitution:

nats-wethepeoplecaps.png

It's current Nats-style outlined white, contrasting-color logos, and white with gold bevels. Something about the red one in the middle makes me think it would work well, in that the dark-on-light letter looks more like writing than does white-on-dark, so the visual reference would be clearer to the viewer. I don't usually like blue-on-red cap logos, like the old Red Sox caps or the similar red caps the Twins used to wear, but for some reason this one works for me.

But I digress. I also think hockey jerseys need a crest of some kind, unless the text is incorporated in some really interesting way like the Rangers. You can make a wordmark crest, like the USA jersey, but it's gotta be more than just baseball-jersey-style lettering.

20082614447.png

That said, I think I like this uniform concept even less than the actual new Caps uniforms, which is saying something. The new Caps unis are the Arlington Road of hockey uniforms, but at least they have clean lines and consistent iconography. (Sort of like how Arlington Road, despite being possibly The Worst Movie Ever Made, at least has one very good special effect.) This concept looks like a very messy first draft, the sort of thing that might inspire interesting further work but that should never be seen by the client.

Hey! I liked Arlington Road! :mad:

Funny you should ask. I've been kicking this around for years. Here are a selection of caps using Nats colors and a W copied almost exactly from the Constitution:

nats-wethepeoplecaps.png

It's current Nats-style outlined white, contrasting-color logos, and white with gold bevels. Something about the red one in the middle makes me think it would work well, in that the dark-on-light letter looks more like writing than does white-on-dark, so the visual reference would be clearer to the viewer. I don't usually like blue-on-red cap logos, like the old Red Sox caps or the similar red caps the Twins used to wear, but for some reason this one works for me.

Nice. I don't like the bevels, because even in a PNG they don't read. But all of these are superior to the caps they wear now.

I only picked on Arlington Road because I couldn't find a Youtube clip of Shining Through to link to. :P But by about ten minutes into Arlington Road I had guessed pretty much everything that was going to happen for the rest of the movie. Then I spent the movie groaning whenever the next completely obvious thing happened and the director treated it like it was a bit "surprise" with lots of "suspense". For a movie that was supposed to be a suspense thriller, it would have been nice if it had been possible for any reasonable person to have been surprised by even one single thing that happened in the movie. But it ended with one of the most convincingly realistic large explosions in movie history, and I give high points for movie explosions with believable physics. Plus I'm a sucker for the kind of joyful hamminess Tim Robbins brings to movies where he clearly knows the script is complete crap.

20082614447.png

I only picked on Arlington Road because I couldn't find a Youtube clip of Shining Through to link to. :P But by about ten minutes into Arlington Road I had guessed pretty much everything that was going to happen for the rest of the movie. Then I spent the movie groaning whenever the next completely obvious thing happened and the director treated it like it was a bit "surprise" with lots of "suspense". For a movie that was supposed to be a suspense thriller, it would have been nice if it had been possible for any reasonable person to have been surprised by even one single thing that happened in the movie. But it ended with one of the most convincingly realistic large explosions in movie history, and I give high points for movie explosions with believable physics. Plus I'm a sucker for the kind of joyful hamminess Tim Robbins brings to movies where he clearly knows the script is complete crap.

Meh, the ending surprised me but I tend to turn my mind off when watching movies. So much so that the fact that Harry Potter reveals himself to be a woman at the end of the new movie still kinda shocked me. And who didn't see that coming? :D

Caps1.jpg

Agreed, and the crest on the red jersey for this concept really doesn't work for me. Too vague to be used as a crest on the jersey. Not a very good looking concept.

Archived