Basketball Concept

Jimmy!

I've been working on a basketball concept for a little bit now, and I'm stuck. Rather than try to come up with some deep, complex, intricate logo, I kept it simple - styling it after the old ABA franchises. I like the overall direction it's going, but I've looked at it so long, I feel like it's missing something. Maybe a lot, maybe a little, I'm not sure.

C & C would be greatly appreciated.

67_concept.jpg

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

I love it, i like the colours, i like the jersey design and how the numbers are placed on the front, its visually pleasing unlike most bball jerseys with the same design or rather, same freakin colour (navy).

Nice, good stuff. Although i hope you aren't going with the dark shorts with the white jerseys, unless you just placed them that way just to show them.

LETS GO PENGUINS!

5x Stanley Cup Champions

I love it, i like the colours, i like the jersey design and how the numbers are placed on the front, its visually pleasing unlike most bball jerseys with the same design or rather, same freakin colour (navy).

Nice, good stuff. Although i hope you aren't going with the dark shorts with the white jerseys, unless you just placed them that way just to show them.

I'm not sure if I should go with like-colored shorts with the tops or mix it up (like they did loooong ago).

The logo is generic and uninspired and the uniform style is a little ugly. No offense, and the wordmark on the jersey is kinda plain. I like the colors, though.

Suggestions then?

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

I like the overall look. As vcx said, are the shorts (or jerseys) in the right order?

Coordination aside, I have the following comments:

• I think you should explore the idea of continuing the "sash" on the back as well.
  • The wordmark is hard to read. Any way to define the individual letters would go along way.
  • Personally I'm a fan of the tops and bottoms blending together. Assuming that the white jersey goes with the white shorts. How 'bout this idea? Side panels on one side. Taking your white jersey as an example. Your white shorts have a maroon side panel, what about extending that side panel to the jersey (on the side of the sash). If you did that I don't think you'd need to extend the sash to the back either. The opposite side of the jersey/shorts should be plain.

Overall, I like where you're going, excellent job.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

Here's what might make the logo and the uniform lettering, logos, and numbers pop, put a white outline with a thin black stripe. I know I hate adding black where it's not needed, but you need something to make it pop and I think with the darker muted type colors they seem to have the same tone. I think the white on the maroon jersey pops, but the silver/champagne gets lost in it.

I'll go with the same-colored shorts. I was going for something different there, but the more I look at it (and the more I read), it's not working.

Is the lettering on the jersey front more of a kerning issue or a color issue?

cv2TCLZ.png

POTD - 7/3/14

I've been working on a basketball concept for a little bit now, and I'm stuck. Rather than try to come up with some deep, complex, intricate logo, I kept it simple - styling it after the old ABA franchises. I like the overall direction it's going, but I've looked at it so long, I feel like it's missing something. Maybe a lot, maybe a little, I'm not sure.

C & C would be greatly appreciated.

67_concept.jpg

Well...in the words of famed Pittsburgh Steelers announcer Myron Cope..."YOI!"

Damn, dude! Look here...Imma tell you why this wins, in two words:

EFFECTIVE SIMPLICITY.

Anyone who's sat in any kind of design class has had this four-letter acronym beat into their heads: K.I.S.S. (For the uninitiated: KEEP IT SIMPLE, STUPID.) Simplicity is one thing; EFFECTIVE simplicity is a whole 'nother plateau. Only a handful of sports designs achieve this (reference the Houston Texans logo for another example). It is the absolute HARDEST thing to achieve in sports design, IMO.

And kinfolk, in my mastodonian opinon...you've achieved it here.

The logo is simple; it incorporates the most well-known symbolic reference of Seattle in a well-rendered abstraction. So who cares if the team name is part of the logo? (Teams with "numerical" names kinda get a free pass with this type of thing.) Of course, sticking a basketball in the negative space of the "6" was pretty much a given, but overall, the logo achieves its purpose...and I LOVE those two colors together. Outside Texas A&M (with their supposed move to either silver or gray trim) and the U of Alabama's pachyderm, these are two colors we rarely see used together in sports.

The jerseys are nothing short of creative genius, in my opinion. It's a good mash-up of the old ABA Nets and Miami Floridians (and I AM a native Floridian, so, you know...) with the sash-style. I agree that maybe that pattern should continue on down the sides of the shorts, even if it's just one side, a la said Nets and the current NBA's Blazers. (And while we're on those shorts, I can see your quandary about mashing up shorts/jersey colors a la the old Chicago Stags and current Washington Wizards 3rds, but I honestly believe the best look would be matching tops/bottoms.)

About the only quabble I can see with this jersey as presented is this: in a real-world application, the front jersey number MIGHT be a little too low. But I'm sure that could be remedied rather easily. One suggestion: since we don't have a back view, might I suggest doing a similar treatment to the back numbers as you've done with the front--that is, encircle them, something akin to the old Golden State Warriors' "The City" jerseys (how they had the numbers inside the little railcar). AND, if you wanna take that a little further, ho 'bout doing something else similar to the old Floridians jerseys and place the player surname inside that sash stripe, vertically. THAT...would be something to see.

To wrap this up...short of the whole shorts thing...A++++++!!!

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

The logo is generic and uninspired and the uniform style is a little ugly. No offense, and the wordmark on the jersey is kinda plain. I like the colors, though.

Boy are you an ass.

Never minding the child, you did a terrific job here. I love the name, the colors, and the inspiration. I'd like to echo everything bucco_b said, because he's spot on.

However, if I could make any suggestion, it's that the colors don't exactly scream Seattle here. Our city flag is aqua, we're surrounded by blue water, green trees, and slate mountains, and all of the local teams incorporate either blue or green. I think the maroon looks good, but perhaps not for the Emerald City.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Thanks, Buc and git. I appreciate the feedback. If I may elaborate just a tad...

I went with the wine and gold color scheme because it wasn't Seattle colors. I know we're the Emerald City, and I know just about every team/concept here sports green and blue. I didn't want this to be just another green and blue concept AND I wanted to use a color scheme you don't normally see.

I love the old ABA jerseys. I was getting a lot of inspiration from the Utah Stars and the Memphis Sounds designs (not to hock other websites, but remembertheaba.com is a great reference). I see what you mean about the front numbers being low. I'll tweak that. I was trying to figure out a way to get the needle in there, but I don't want to put on the jersey just for the sake of doing it (BTW, I love the old Flordian jerseys).

"since we don't have a back view.." not sure where that's coming from. The home, road, and Sunday only jerseys have a front and back to them. Although, looking at them now, I may need to tweak just a tad.

Thanks guys!

cv2TCLZ.png

POTD - 7/3/14

"since we don't have a back view.." not sure where that's coming from. The home, road, and Sunday only jerseys have a front and back to them. Although, looking at them now, I may need to tweak just a tad.

Thanks guys!

Talk about missing the obvious...damn did I miss that one!

Honestly...you wanna know what I think happened? I was so starstruck (no pun intended--well, maybe...) by the front views of those jerseys, I didn't even notice the backs right next to the fronts.

That's my explanation and I'm sticking to it!!! :D

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Revision. The shorts now match the tops, the striping now goes down the shorts, the front numbers have been raised a smidge, I added an outline on the Sunday jersey (not sure about that), and I experimented with the back of the Sunday jersey. Wasn't sure if I liked the revised Sunday top, but it's starting to grow on me.

Better? Worse? Indifferent?

67rev_0707.jpg

cv2TCLZ.png

POTD - 7/3/14

Better IMO. I'm not a fan of the font, but the outline you put on it on the beige set makes it look much more readable. I'd consider putting it on all of the lettering and numbers.

Better. The only thing that bothers me a bit is the panels on the shorts. Don't get me wrong, I think they look good. I just don't like that they "stop" at the jersey. To me, I think uniforms look the best when the top and bottom mesh together. So, I'm going to suggest my one panel idea again.

The sash going down the shorts looks fantastic. Question, now that you have it on the back, does the sash go down the back of the shorts as well?

On the alternate, with the name being on the bottom, will that be too low?

Great update.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

I really like this concept alot. I think the overall feel of it is good. And its a cool looking retro uniform. What I would suggest is that:

There is something wrong with the shorts. I like how you changed it to matching colors but it doesn't look right with the panels and the stripe. Maybe one or the other would work better.

Also I think 67's would look good as a word mark on one of the jerseys. I would try that and see what it is like.

on the white jersey change the back number to red and the surname to gray.

yankees-1.png

Archived