Rookie Designer

Icebreaker

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with BuccoB, that is amazing for his age. The water pattern going around the jersey with the beaver floating on a hockey stick works really well for a minor league team (heck, it reminds me of the Ducks alternate with the ice on the bottom) as swilson said. The kid's got a gift.

Dad here again.

We went out yesterday and invested in prismacolor markers and pencil crayons.

Does anyone have a suggestion about the kind of paper he should work on? The prismacolor markers tend to spread (bleed?) and so he's preferring the pencils right now.

Is there a better way to upload his work than using the camera?

I have a scanner, but photobucket doesn't like my pdfs or tiffs...it seems to want photographs.

He started work (slowly and carefully) on a re-do of his Brampton Beavers last night, with a new shoulder patch. We'll see if he gets it to publication today.

Thank you so much for everyone's generous comments. I have come back a few times and half-expecting to see a not-so-glowing comment from someone somewhere, but you have all been great.

I'll have to get the boy his own handle. I know he logs on to something as spyderback19. Maybe that will stick.

This is seriously beautiful. He's incorporating subtle designs and characteristics of the animal into an actual logo, rather than just a word or a picture of the mascot now. I'm shocked at the improvement this fast as well. I'm really excited to see what he has in store for the future.

Don't use the Prismacolor markers like regular markers. You have to go light with them and they aren't good for small areas. What I usually do is use the markers for big areas and then the pencils for small areas.

There are a couple examples of this in one of my facebook albums:

Click here.

I have words of wisdom for your son:

I'm fifteen now and have loved sketching all my life. As youngin' around four and five, all I ever did was play with legos and draw in a sketch pad. I think I inherited all of my talent from my dad, who is an art teacher and extremely talented sketch artist. When I was six or seven, right around your age, I remember spending days sketching a picture of Ronaldo from a reference picture I got in my Sports Illustrated for Kids magazine. I was so proud of my piece and I brought it in to show my second grade class. I was expecting praise from my friends and peers but all I got was, "I bet your dad drew that for you," and "I bet you traced that." It kind of crushed me because I was so proud of the work I did and all kids wanted to do was say I didn't do it. This is very important: people can tend to be very jealous of artistic talent, especially at a young age, and that is just what you have!!! Art and design is a rare natural talent and you are blessed to have it. Don't ever let anyone discourage you.

As time went on, art kind of took the back burner to academics, especially in middle school. By eighth grade I made it into the district honors art program, but with this came a decision. If I followed through with the art program, I would have to stop playing one of my other loves and talents, my musical instrument. This was probably one of the hardest decisions I ever had to make. Naturally, my parents swayed me to continuing with the musical path throughout the rest of my schooling as it would lead to better opportunities in higher education. So, with great apprehension, I dropped art and went on with my musical path. Three years later, my musical path has paid off tremendously for my overall academic achievement but I am greatly missing the possibilities that I could've taken with art. Yes, I am still active in sketching and design but I don't have much to apply myself to as far as learning art history, drawing, painting, and other artistic areas. The moral of the story is if you love art right now as a child, never give it up or let others sway you to. It's still one thing I am very touchy about today and I regret it ever had to happen to myself. It would make me extremely happy if you continue on with your artistic fortes and enjoy yourself. Dad, enroll the kid in some summer art classes to help expand his creative horizons and love for art. It's a great talent that shouldn't go to waste!!!

Don't use the Prismacolor markers like regular markers. You have to go light with them and they aren't good for small areas. What I usually do is use the markers for big areas and then the pencils for small areas.

There are a couple examples of this in one of my facebook albums:

Click here.

Great advice, thanks.

I love your work in that album.

I have words of wisdom for your son:

Here I am 40 now, and getting great words of wisdom for dealing with my 7 year old from a 15 year old.

Amazing. Thank you. I guess love of art transcends age.

Here are my words of advice for you. Believe me, you are very young and its not too late to pursue your art.

I wish I had the self-knowledge at your age that you do. It will serve you well.

I know enough has been discussed. I mostly wanted to just add my voice to the group. For a kid his age I'm looking at these drawings and two things strike me. Not only does he have artistic talent already but I'm looking at the logos he is choosing to go with. He's got such great imagination. Having a beaver float on a hockey stick? That's genius right there.

So with that I'll say he has great artistic talent but it also appears that he is VERY intelligent as well. Add in patience and maturity as he ages (my guess is he's probably already ahead of his peers in both these things), and this kid will be very successful when he grows up.

-Daniel
Check Out My Podcast! Latest Episode 273: The Color Blinky
Latest Photo Upload: January 7, 2012

The Brampton Beavers re-do by spyderback19.

It's much harder to get a good picture with the pencils.

P7102953.jpg

Ok, that B logo is seriously the most amazing thing I have seen in a long time! Incorporating the tail into the lower loop of the B?! BRILLIANT! Start a college savings account for this kid if you haven't already cause he needs to go to RISD or CSS or the Art Institute, for a 7 year old he is already phenominal! I'm jealous!

I agree 100% with Sgoalie9. I am a pretty good artist, but whenever I would show my work to classes, especially in elementary school, people assumed that I traced it or that someone else did it for me. Even in Art class where I would sit down in front of them and draw them something, they still wouldn't believe it.

You're son has amazing talent! When I was about 6 or 7, I designed an entire custom league with jerseys, rosters and even playoffs! He looks like he's well on his way to doing something of that sort as well! Tell him I said 'great work'!

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Noticed he added a t in shoulder on the last one, no biggy, he's more talented than I am at 18! That last one for the Beavers is absolutely brilliant! And don't get me started on the one for the Boston Goblins, great name and great colors, not to mention the sleeves are sweet.

Can't wait to see some more of his work! I'd like to see some other sports too. I bet you could print off some of the raster templates so he can use them. I bet discrim's templates would be almost perfect for him.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

Noticed he added a t in shoulder on the last one, no biggy, he's more talented than I am at 18! That last one for the Beavers is absolutely brilliant! And don't get me started on the one for the Boston Goblins, great name and great colors, not to mention the sleeves are sweet.

Can't wait to see some more of his work! I'd like to see some other sports too. I bet you could print off some of the raster templates so he can use them. I bet discrim's templates would be almost perfect for him.

Umm pretty sure that's a 7...

Hi, how are you?

I bet you could print off some of the raster templates so he can use them. I bet discrim's templates would be almost perfect for him.

Can you point me to the templates you would suggest? I can't seem to find them.

He asked me at bedtime to "ask the real designers if there was a city that needed a team" for him to work on tomorrow.

Archived