Modified nhl sets

Roger Clemente

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today's team is the Chicago Blackhawks.

Although it may not have seemed necessary to rework them, I asked myself this question: Without using the words "classic" "timeless" or "Original Six", why do people hold the Blackhawks jersey in such high regard?

It occured to me that their jerseys weren't as great as they are made out to be.

"Why fix something that ain't broke?"

"Because, in my opinion, it was already broken to begin with, nobody ever noticed there was a problem."  

To me the striping is disjointed from the logos and the the red jersey's striping is really off balance compared to the other two jerseys.  Also there doesn't seem to be enough black in the red jersey to warrant the use of black pants, but for some reason, it manages to work.  The striping on the black jersey seems backwards and those red cuffs are lame and completely unnecessary.  And I'm not sure why, but a grown man doesn't look good in a Blackhawks jersey, but anyone under the age of 18 looks fine in one.  It seems to have some sort of boyish charm to it that adults just don't look good in.  I don't know why, they just don't, no matter which of the three jerseys it is.

Looking at ways to fix them, I knew from the get go that I was on shaky ground.  I managed to find a solution that, in my opinon, looks more like the Blackhawks then they have before.  It sort of enhances the native spirit the jerseys try to convey and doesn't radically go against tradition as, say, the Rangers third jersey does.

All it took was a little gold.

Copy and paste:

http://www.geocities.com/rogerclemente_isx/uniforms/Blackhawks-Set.gif

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

I love a lot of these. I'm not a big fan of the Blackhawks with gold in it though. It just doesn't look or feel right. It's like seeing the pope worship satan. It just isn't right. I think you could have tried like maybe a thin line of color, not sure if gold is best but hey.

the Hawks one's a real head scratcher.  it's like it's so disorganized that organizing wouldn't look right.  i probably woulda used tan, but that's just me.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Hmmm... I like the red jerseys, but I don't think you improved on the whites at all. I'm not really crazy about the yellow, but it's worse on the white than on the red.

I never liked the Hawk's black jersey and was hoping you came up with something new.  If a team is going to go with a 3rd, I'd rather see one that's an alt design rather than just another color.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

"Why fix something that ain't broke?"

"Because, in my opinion, it was already broken to begin with, nobody ever noticed there was a problem."

To me the striping is disjointed from the logos and the the red jersey's striping is really off balance compared to the other two jerseys. The striping on the black jersey seems backwards and those red cuffs are lame and completely unnecessary.

All it took was a little gold.

Well, I can agree with the striping of the red one being inconsistant with the other two, and removing the colored cuffs if you see a problem with that, but the gold stripes?

This just doesn't work for me. I can see by the previous posts I'm in the minority, but the home white is something I grew up with and love it just the way it is. I'll give you the black cuffs, but that's it. I just saw the black alternates in person this week and I think those are awesome as well. I even own one.

All I would have done is make the red one consistant with the white one.

Keep them coming. I generally like them. Go fix Calgary - there's a mess for you.

JeffB

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Wow... these are really nice.

The response, however, is so sweet, it's making my teeth hurt (and making me almost glad I'm going to see the dentist on Thursday). :D C'mon people, you can do better than that! Let's hear some other points of view.

I for one dislike the Stars' third. Green is their colour. Leave the black and vegas gold to the Penguins. Also, the Preds' redesign is great, except for the line across the front of the jersey. I know in the home jersey, it's just the separation of the shoulder colour and the base jersey colour, but on the road white, it just doesn't work IMO. On the back is one thing, but I don't like it on the front.

I think the laurel leaf-pattern the Sens use right now is fine... having it go around all the way the same way is fine IMO. I'd've gone with the 3D logo too... the other one pales in comparison with it. It reminds me of the Chicago Blackhawks, and while the 'Hawks logo may be classic, it doesn't mean copying it will mean a great logo. I agree that the 'Hawks own jerseys need something, although I don't think adding gold was it.

Anyway... I really think the blue, white, and silver Stars' jersey looks sharp. And I must admit, the NHL would be much better off with you in charge of jerseys... however I had to voice some suggestions/dislikes. Wouldn't want you to get too cocky now. :P

All in fun, Rog... great work.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Go fix Calgary - there's a mess for you.

While I have problems with the new red jersey--it is better than the black flaming snot horse head--which unfortunately is still the third.

BUT their current white jerseys are rgeat--not quite as good as the ones they first wore when they moved--but close.

The dark jerseys should be red--that's the colour Calgary teams should be.

And SyPhi--you did inspire me to try a Stars jersey in blue, white and silver--and we've got someone doing an even better job doing these concepts.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Well, the Chicago experiment went a lot better than planned.

Today's installment is the Detroit Red Wings.

I like the Red Wings white uniform.  In fact, IMO, it's the second best original six uniform of all time.  I find it really fits in with the name Red Wings and for a one color team, it works awesome.

Now the red one seems to be the main problem.  It looks like a redpractise jersey with tape wrapped around the sleeves and that's it.  The white stripe at the bottom isn't noticable unless it's worn over something dark.  The main problem with fixing it though is that anything you can try would look really awkward.  I tried a complete inverse of the white, and while the white sleeves didn't work, I decided to inverse the stripes at the bottom and the collar.  Everything else was left the same.  While it's still a very plain looking jersey, it no longer looks "lazy-plain" and I think it actually works well.

Copy and paste: http://www.geocities.com/rogerclemente_isx/uniforms/RedWings-Set.gif

champssig2.png

I can't really see the difference in the Red WIngs design. It is true that there isn't much you can do to try and change that one

Those Blackhawks are lookin good. The Yellow on the striping adds another dimension to the design, I think it looks alot better

Roger, I think you should try out something the Wings used to do: having mirroring logos on the home and roads. Right now the wings have a white logo on a white jersey (outlined in red). I would support a return to red logos (outlined in white) on the white jerseys, and the current logo coloration on the reds. It's not as bad as, say, the Leafs using white logos on both jerseys (since the wings have a fair amount of both white and red), but it is the same basic idea.

i was pretty much on board for most of these concepts, with the exception of nashville...

but i can't say i like what you did with dallas... it's only minor tweaks, i see... but they make the jerseys look a lot more cluttered with those multi-color collars...

now with chicago, my all-time favorite uniform in all of sports, i think you turned them into a minor league team :) sorry, but if the hawks ever really wore those uniforms, i'd literally cry, i think.

the wings are an ok change, but not one i would've made.

Today submission is the Philadelphia Flyers.

Not much needed to be done here.  I got rid of the ugly silver-edged creamsicle and brought back the classic orange.  I kept the black one, but relegated it to alternate status, plus added a little more orange to it.  Once again, I tweaked the socks.

Copy and paste: http://www.geocities.com/rogerclemente_isx/uniforms/Flyers-Set.gif

~~~~~

I also found this picture today:

79196.jpg

IMO, it looks better.

champssig2.png

Gotta love the Classic Orange Jerseys...

would have to see the socks in action though, I really like the style they have now, but remove the gaps between stripes ala what you did on these.

The Two-Color names on the Orange and Black jerseys is a nice touch...not too sure about the orange collar on the Back.

But nice work none the less...

Today's installment is the Edmonton Oilers.

Seeing as how they did do an overhaul on their classic look, I figure my shot is legally fair game now.

I decided to replace their flat copper with a Capitals-esque dazzle and moved the red stripes on the blue jersey.  And I also made the blue jerseys numbers that same dazzle color.  A nod to their old orange numbers, they should be easier to read.

Oh and I dropped the alternate completely.  As nice as it may be, it sticks out of the Oilers like a sore thumb.

Copy and paste: http://www.geocities.com/rogerclemente_isx/uniforms/Oilers-Set.gif

champssig2.png

Archived