USA DESTROYS KOREA IN FOOTBALL

Cola

So what have been the attendances for these games? Are they good, bad, average? Also, are they playing on big stadiums, or smaller ones?

Disappointing I think, there was about 12,000 at the opening game...then the past two games (Germany/Korea & USA/Korea) averaged about 2,000.

If the US hosted in the future, I am sure we could get at least 30,000 in a stadium depending on the location. I would like to see more teams compete in the whole thing instead of having a certain team represent a region i.e. Sweden & Korea.

30,000 attendance in the US? With that roster? No chance. The schools represented on the US roster look like something out of af2 (and I should know, since I'm a season ticket holder to one of those teams). There's no chance in he!! of drawing 30,000. I'd post the over/under at 10,000, and be nervous that it's too high by at least 3,000.

I think you're wrong. In fact, I'd almost guarantee it. If we can pull 30,000+ at my university and Florida near 50,000 for a Spring practice game...they can pull it for a worldwide football competition.

Here's the (HUGE) difference. Florida, or South Carolina, or Michigan, or name the University, have a built in fanbase who will watch anything involving their school. They aren't watching the practice as much as they're watching the school colors. This organization has no such base. Look at who's on their coaching staff -- it's the guy who just retired from UW-Whitewater (Brzezinski [sp?])! While they've had a great run in D-III, you won't find their alumni association coming out to watch.

Get real for a second man...this is FOOTBALL in AMERICA! Let's face it, that goes together like Chinese food and chocolate pudding...or cocaine and waffles. If the 1999 Womens US soccer team can pull in 38,000 per game, there is no way in hell you can tell me that we can't get that many for football. In fact, I would put my money where my mouth is and say that it would sell out any professional stadium in the US...maybe not any college sized stadium, but come on buddy- let's be realistic here, it's America's sport and you can't think of 30,000 people of the millions of millions who live here that would attend?

I would consider it an embarrassment if we couldn't get 30k.

I'll take any and all bets.

We don't pack 30K into a stadium for D-II or D-III talent (heck, not even for D-IAA). I say if it happens, it doesn't average 10K as currently constituted.

By the way - if it would sell out any professional stadium, but not college stadium, I'm guessing you're expecting something in the range of 55-80,000. There aren't many college stadia that seat more, but there are some.

It's where I sit.

I agree with Sec19Row53. You guys who are excited about this are looking at it all wrong. What matters to savvy sports fans is quality of play and legitamacy of the tournament. Just because its an international tounrament with the US represented doesn't mean anyone will think this is relevant.

Compare this to the World Baseball Classic. That was a MLB sanctioned, highly promoted game with the world's best players and a competative field. We knew the US players, we knew the opposing players, and it was a totally new concept. Yet none of those games sold out, and the US vs. South Africa game had only like 10,000 people. Considering how the WBC--a really great concept--failed to bring out fans in droves, I don't see how a group of no-name American football players beating up on even lesser-name foreigners will get more than 10,000 people. Anybody who gets excited about that isn't a real football fan, they merely like to watch America beat up on other countries.

Sadly, even if there was a challenging opponent, I don't think football will ever be big time on the international stage. The sport involves too much injury and preparation for NFL stars to get involved. Our NBA stars barely want to do the Olympics and basketball doesn't cause as many injuries. Without NFL players, a World Cup of Football would not be legitamate for US football fans.

if this was being held in the football-mad South, with some bigger names (even from colleges)....yeah, it'd get close to 30k.

but in the northwest? during the summer? we've got better things to do.

our lack of patriotism when it comes to some sports (basketball, baseball, etc.) on the global stage is almost shameful. Do people turn down the chance to play for their national soccer team? Hell no. The only reason some English players in the EPL (in a pattern repeated throughout Europe, really) turn down national team call-ups is age. Playing for the national team is as holy a grail as playing for a top club.

unfortunately, that spirit just isn't quite here in the U.S....yet. Maybe we'll develop it. I can only hope so.

-----

<match onto gasoline>rugby has a much better chance of becoming an Olympic sport, because instead of the U.S. being the only country that takes it seriously, the U.S. is really the only one that *doesn't*. Well, us and those canuckleheads. American football going to the Olympics is about as long of odds as Aussie Rules joining the Olympics...too niche on the world stage.</match>

harperdc.gif

It's like Ireland winning the Gaelic Footy World Cup - you're expected to dominate.

Even if the USA play af2 quality players, they still have more years of experience on the opposition as they've grown up playing the game and watching the game.

Did Australia not qualify or not have enough players to play? We would have the world's (yes, world) best special teams... Graham, McBriar, Rocca....

Maybe Melbourne could bid for the next event. You might sell out the old Olympic Park (15,000 capacity).

--

American Football won't make the Olympics ever as its not played in the 75-100countries and 4-5 continents which is the requirement. The next Olympic sport will almost certainly be Surfing. It clearly meets requirements and as the AOC officials say, relates to the youth who sometime rather less structured sports.

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

By the way - if it would sell out any professional stadium, but not college stadium, I'm guessing you're expecting something in the range of 55-80,000. There aren't many college stadia that seat more, but there are some.

When I think professional stadium, I think small. When I think college stadium, I think huge. Then again, my alma mater is in the SEC where football is king and we pack out the stadium no matter how our team is performing and most of the stadiums hold 80,000+. Most of the other major conferences have stadiums with capacities much larger than your average NFL stadium.

you failed to mention what sport or tournament this happened in... i didn't even know this world football thing was going on

I was going to say 'that's because you're Canadian', but then I realized I didn't know this was going on, either.

GASP - I must be Canadian :flagcanada:

[ontopic] Where/when is this being played? Not that it really matters.

it's being played this month through the 15th in Japan, Japan has won the last 2 World Cups so it could get interesting. There is a rumor that the 2011 World Cup could be in the States. Here is the official siteAmerican Football World Cup

btw I never knew how much the Japanese took American Football this seriously

I'm not sure, but if I were a betting man, I'd say its a result of the Post-World War Two US occupation and the continued US military presence over there. (Note that two other teams are Germany and Korea). Given that one of the best ways to spread sports historically has been as conqueror/colonizer to conqueree/colonizee...

Well, I'm not sure the rest of the world really wants this event to take off. Or for American football to become mainstream enough to be an Olympic event. (We're better off focusing our resources on returning baseball and football to the docket.)

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

USA: 77

Korea: 0

...And in another shocking development, the sun came up today.

.... yeah, it's been a while since the South Pole has seen the sun....

... god help the poor little penguins ...

oBIgzrL.png

USA: 77

Korea: 0

...And in another shocking development, the sun came up today.

.... yeah, it's been a while since the South Pole has seen the sun....

... god help the poor little penguins ...

Forget the penguins... it's the pirates that need the most help...

I saw, I came, I left.

Compare this to the World Baseball Classic. That was a MLB sanctioned, highly promoted game with the world's best players and a competative field. We knew the US players, we knew the opposing players, and it was a totally new concept. Yet none of those games sold out, and the US vs. South Africa game had only like 10,000 people. Considering how the WBC--a really great concept--failed to bring out fans in droves, I don't see how a group of no-name American football players beating up on even lesser-name foreigners will get more than 10,000 people. Anybody who gets excited about that isn't a real football fan, they merely like to watch America beat up on other countries.

If I remember correctly, the USA-South Africa game was played in Scottsdale Stadium, a 11,000-seat stadium that also holds SF Giants spring training. That is most likely the reason why the turnout seemed low.

If I remember correctly, the USA-South Africa game was played in Scottsdale Stadium, a 11,000-seat stadium that also holds SF Giants spring training. That is most likely the reason why the turnout seemed low.

you would be correct sir, they did games at Scottsdale and Chase Field in Phoenix and Chase Field did draw in a great crowd

wtf? What's different between the Korean and Japanese teams? Why can't we crush the Japanese? Probably because we have a bunch of nobodies playing for us.

I heard on the radio that the Japanese have won this tournament the past two times, so they must have some idea of how to play. This year was the first time the US was in the tournament.

Archived