Michigan Signs With Adidas

Michigan Dave

http://www.mgoblue.com/document_display.cf...cument_id=25021

U-M, adidas Sign Eight-Year Footwear and Apparel Deal

PORTLAND, Ore. / ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- The University of Michigan and adidas have entered into a multi-year agreement in which adidas will supply footwear and apparel for all 25 of the university's athletic teams. The new agreement begins with the 2008-09 academic year and extends through the 2016-17 season. The agreement is valued at $7.5 million annually in cash and merchandise over the eight-year period.

adidas Logo

"We are excited and proud of our new collaboration with adidas," said U-M Athletic Director Bill Martin. "adidas will outfit our student-athletes and teams from head to toe, while providing additional resources for our athletic department. The quality of adidas' product and their dedication to service, on-site and to all of our teams, makes adidas a terrific partner for us."

Beginning in the fall of 2008, Michigan intercollegiate teams will be outfitted exclusively in adidas footwear, uniforms, training apparel and accessories. Michigan joins a select group of universities that have similar agreements with adidas, including Notre Dame, UCLA, Tennessee, Indiana, Nebraska and Wisconsin among others. adidas also has marketing agreements with the NFL, MLS and an 11-year exclusive all-league partnership with the NBA.

"The partnership between adidas and Michigan brings together two powerful brands that both stand for performance and excellence," stated Martyn Brewer, Head of US Sports Marketing for adidas. "Michigan is a marquis program and we are honored to add a university so rich in tradition to the adidas family of schools."

Michigan-adidas gear will arrive in stores next summer. Fans in Ann Arbor and across the nation will be able to purchase a wide range of products that include sideline gear, coaches' polo shirts, hats, jerseys, performance apparel and outerwear. Martin specifically pointed to adidas' agreement to provide on-site support and a pledge for unique sideline apparel as key factors in the agreement.

"We believe the new partnership is one of the strongest in college sports," added U-M Athletics chief financial officer Jason Winters. "Funding from the new agreement will provide added resources to our long term facility renewal plan."

The contract includes important provisions that reflect the commitment of both the University and adidas to labor and human rights issues. adidas' Social & Environmental Affairs team monitors contract factories for compliance with fair labor and sustainability codes of conduct in order to identify potential problems and implement positive changes. The adidas SEA team provides regular monitoring reports to adidas partner schools.

About adidas

adidas is a global designer, developer and marketer of athletic footwear, apparel and accessories with the mission to be the leading sports brand in the world. Brand adidas is part of the adidas Group, a corporation that includes brands such as Reebok, TaylorMade and Rockport. For further information please visit www.press.adidas.com.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The new agreement begins with the 2008-09 academic year

That doesn't give Nike much time to destroy Michigan's identity. Better hop to it, boys.

No, but this certainly means that the road football jerseys will change, since that is a Nike template, and the home will at least be tweaked, since no Adidas team has the embroidered collar logo. Since we took the swoosh off the shoulders in 98, I'm assuming we won't put the Adidas logo on the shoulder a la ND, rather go with the above-number look like Tennessee and Wisconsin. I rendered it here:

grady_177.jpg

The new agreement begins with the 2008-09 academic year

That doesn't give Nike much time to destroy Michigan's identity. Better hop to it, boys.

No, Michigan is smart, they won't let nike do that. Nike can't just change whatever they want, the schools have to let them change first, I think. It will look weird seeing Michigan jerseys without the nike swoosh. I think the update nike did to the white uniforms actually looked really good, because the piping wasn't overdone.

A&M, now Michigan...Adidas is certainly doing well with adding some more big name programs. And judging by the small adjustments adidas made to our jerseys, I'm sure they'll have Michigan looking as good as ever.

Michigan will be happy with the change, I predict. adidas treats their schools like royalty.

Except when they're adding black to a jersey that shouldn't have black anywhere near it.

What school did they do that to? None of their high-profile schools (ND, TN, Nebraska, UCLA, Northwestern, Wisc) have had black added to their football jerseys recently. Not sure what you mean.

The contract includes important provisions that reflect the commitment of both the University and adidas to labor and human rights issues. adidas' Social & Environmental Affairs team monitors contract factories for compliance with fair labor and sustainability codes of conduct in order to identify potential problems and implement positive changes. The adidas SEA team provides regular monitoring reports to adidas partner schools.

*that's* pretty interesting. Nice way to poke Nike in the eye, as they've famously (at least at UO) blocked work by the University, separate from the athletic department, to sign onto anti-sweatshop stuff back in the late '90s. Reportedly Uncle Phil threatened to knot the purse-strings on the Autzen renovation if UO didn't back out of one of those groups; the University backed out shortly thereafter.

(btw, that sort of bulls!!! is the *only* thing I dislike about our association with Nike. They've done other stuff like that - apparently getting the old track coach fired, too, because he went away from what a lot of old timers and boosters thought was the "heart" of UO track, long-distance running. Of course, what have we dominated since switching to a new coach? Distance running. Go figure, right?)

adidas is smart, they won't mess with Michigan's football jerseys too much. You *can't*. Ann Arbor and most of Michigan would burn. However, I bet they'll lock-step into whatever designs are used in other sports once they join up.

Michigan will be happy with the change, I predict. adidas treats their schools like royalty.

Except when they're adding black to a jersey that shouldn't have black anywhere near it.

What school did they do that to? None of their high-profile schools (ND, TN, Nebraska, UCLA, Northwestern, Wisc) have had black added to their football jerseys recently. Not sure what you mean.

:D Try the school in your avatar

From what I've heard the added black to Tenn's away jerseys was done at the request of broadcasters who had trouble reading the numbers, so they put an outline to make them stand out.

Maybe someone has the official story on this.

From what I've heard the added black to Tenn's away jerseys was done at the request of broadcasters who had trouble reading the numbers, so they put an outline to make them stand out.

Maybe someone has the official story on this.

That is exactly right. In the early 90's our jerseys look like this...

92utvssouthcarolina02.jpg

Broadcasters felt they couldn't see the numbers very well...especially when it was sunny. Tennessee actually did not want to put the outline on there but conceded. I personally hate the black on our uniforms because it is not one of our school colors. I feel that the reason it was hard to see was because we had mesh jerseys of which we no longer use. The numbers are solid and would be easier to recognize. The one thing I can understand about readability is that our orange is much lighter than that of Texas.

This is great for the good ol' Maize and Blue. We get away from Nike and sign with Adidas. Great for you Michigan only we can change the whites back to traditional and not Nike Template crap

This is great for the good ol' Maize and Blue. We get away from Nike and sign with Adidas. Great for you Michigan only we can change the whites back to traditional and not Nike Template crap

you get no right to complain about "Nike template crap" when, for Michigan, it amounts to this:

Hart.jpg

blink and you miss the tiny yellow piping!

but when it comes to Oregon....

pc216553r.jpg

consider yourselves lucky :P;)

Archived