Difference between Replica and Authentic

andysoccer12

authentic hockey jerseys everything is sewn on, plus the fight strap is the big difference and the silver nhl shield on the bottom back of the jersey.

Weight of the jersey/quality of the fabric is the top one for me (they feel almost indestructable). Also, quality of the crest. You almost have to see one in person to apprecieate how much nicer an authentic is than a replica. For me, a replica is a cheap piece of s#!t. Authentics are the way to go, even for how much they cost...

Moose

What is the fight strap?

It is the tie down that prevents a player's jersey from being pulled over their head during a fight.

Always useful for when you're walking down the street to your local store or in the crowd of a rival team. Plus the authentics are made from a space-aged fabric blend found on the moon's of Endor that when you spill kethcup all over them they magically clean themselves so that you don't have to feel like a moron for wasting triple what you paid for such a junky replica. Because, at least with the former koho/ccm versions you could lay them side by side and REALLY see a difference. Because I've got a handful of jerseys hanging around the room and you wouldn't believe how many people come in and actually say "wow, look at those piece of **** replicas." Authentics (at least, like I said the old koho/ccm) are pointless unless you're actually playing for the team or getting it signed and going to mount it. Otherwise it's just something that elitists can buy and say "mine is better than yours because I paid more money for it." I've had some of mine for maybe 6 to 8 years. Used them for playing, wearing them about, they've been washed repeatedly and I've not had a problem with one of them, in fact you'd look at them and swear they've never even been worn. koho/ccm was where it was at. I've heard bad things about the current RBK versions, so maybe that's what the whining is all about.

What is the fight strap?

It is the tie down that prevents a player's jersey from being pulled over their head during a fight.

Always useful for when you're walking down the street to your local store or in the crowd of a rival team. Plus the authentics are made from a space-aged fabric blend found on the moon's of Endor that when you spill kethcup all over them they magically clean themselves so that you don't have to feel like a moron for wasting triple what you paid for such a junky replica. Because, at least with the former koho/ccm versions you could lay them side by side and REALLY see a difference. Because I've got a handful of jerseys hanging around the room and you wouldn't believe how many people come in and actually say "wow, look at those piece of **** replicas." Authentics (at least, like I said the old koho/ccm) are pointless unless you're actually playing for the team or getting it signed and going to mount it. Otherwise it's just something that elitists can buy and say "mine is better than yours because I paid more money for it." I've had some of mine for maybe 6 to 8 years. Used them for playing, wearing them about, they've been washed repeatedly and I've not had a problem with one of them, in fact you'd look at them and swear they've never even been worn. koho/ccm was where it was at. I've heard bad things about the current RBK versions, so maybe that's what the whining is all about.

To each his own. I'll admit that the replicas now are a ton better than they were in the '80's, but I'll still take a authentic over a replica any day of the week.

I'll give you that I know nothing of the 2007-'08 authentics or replicas, but I stand by my acessment of the last 20 years of NHL jerseys.

Moose

I'll take your word for it. Can't really say, as I only bought my first hockey sweater recently.

But I've been buying baseball jerseys for decades, and I can tell you that there is a world of difference in quality and styling between the MLB authentics and replicas. The replicas are close, but they just don't look quite "right."

Maybe for a lot of people that doesn't matter. It does for me. Things like that are important to me (which is, after all, why I'm here).

I'm not quite certain why there would be a problem with the new RBK authentics over the previous CCM/KOHO authentics considering they are EXACTLY THE SAME. The only difference between them is the swoosh patch on the back shoulder panels in place of the CCM or KOHO patch that used to be there. The factories that make them are still the same. The only thing that's changed is the fact that Reebok now owns CCM.

I find that authentics definately feel more comfortable to wear. The sleeves are wider and more accomodating for wearing a sweater or coat under it in the winter time. The fabric itself, while similar to a replica, is stretchier (which is necessary when being worn over equipment). Of course, all crests on the jerseys are not only sewn on, but are made from that plastic-like tackle twill, as opposed to the crests on replicas that are glued on and seem to be made on that regular patch twill. As such, replica jerseys have fraying threads much more frequently after washing than authentic jerseys. (Never mind that some replica crests may actually start literally peeling away from the glue, which doesn't happen often, but does happen.)

Price always seems to be a deterrent for most people from buying an authentic, and it can be, which is why I always like to buy from eBay, cause you'll usually find a good deal on one often. I will say that replicas in general though are of pretty quality on there own merits.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

Archived