City-colour association

Phil

If every city's individual teams had to all go with the same colour scheme, what do you think sports would look like?

Anaheim... Ducks' Jade and Eggplant... sure the Angels won a World Series, but the Ducks' colours seem to be far more distinctive. Besides, the fact that they were known as the California Angels for the longest while disassociated them with Anaheim for the most part.

Atlanta... Braves' red and navy... not many baseball teams will make the list, largely because you rarely see them sport their colours prominently (white and grey, anyone?). The Falcons were so close to snagging this, but the Braves have been a dominant force for so long...

Baltimore... Ravens' black and purple... the Orioles have been around for so much longer, but when it comes to "what have you done for me lately", it's not that tough a call.

Boston... Bruins' black and yellow... so much colour diversity in Boston, with the Bosox, the Bruins, the Celtics, and the Pats... the Bruins take another close one.

Buffalo... Bills' blue and red... although it's been hurt by recent uniform adjustment, but then the Sabres have a colour identity crisis on their hands too, so...

Calgary... Flames' red and yellow... from a Canadian perspective, the Stamps' red and white is close, but the Flames are clearly Calgary's main athletic export internationally.

Charlotte/Carolina... Panthers' light blue, white, and black. Basically because it's close to the Tar Heels' Carolina blue, Carolina's football team takes this one...

Chicago... Bulls' black and red... the fact that Michael Jordan wore it doesn't hurt. The fact that they're extremely close to the Blackhawks colours makes it an easy choice.

Cincinnati... Reds' red and black... the Bengals may move up a bit in with improved performance, but for now the fact that the team name is a colour is a big boost

Cleveland... brown, orange, and white... the Indians and Cavaliers got left in the dust on this one.

Columbus... Jackets' blue, red, and neon green... say what you will about the neon green, but it certainly takes yawn red and blue and makes for an interesting scheme... doesn't hurt that they're the only game in town, the Crew notwithstanding

Dallas... Cowboys' blue and white and so many silver-blue-greens... the Stars' scheme is interesting, but nothing compared to the monster that is Cowboys merchandise.

Denver/Colorado... Broncos' blue and orange... despite the Avs' best efforts, the Broncos' scheme is just too well known, even after a complete uniform redesign and a slight colour change

Detroit... Red Wings' Red and White... they call themselves Hockeytown USA, so let's give it to the Wings... another very diverse town, with the Lions, Pistons, Red Wings, and Tigers all sporting different colours.

Edmonton... Oilers' blue and orange... Wayne Gretzky wore it, and so it beats out the Eskimos green/gold.

Green Bay... Packers' green and yellow... okay stupid question :P

Hamilton... Ti-Cats black and gold... despite their recent terribleness they win due to lack of competition here

Houston... the Astros black and shades of orange... it's not even the 'Stros current colours, but the retro phenomenon has popularized that rainbow jersey, and with the recent changes by the Astros and Rockets, and with the Texans being so new (and unoriginal colour-wise), this strange choice wins

Indianapolis/Indiana... Pacers blue and yellow... probably the toughest one out there... the fact that there's soo much blue and white (and the fact that the Colts identity isn't exactly revolutionary) means that the Pacers' colours come out on top.

Jacksonville... Jags' Teal, Gold, Black... what else is there to say?

Kansas City... Chiefs' Red and Yellow... the Royals look good, but haven't projected the same kind of image that the Chiefs have.

Los Angeles... Lakers' purple and gold... lots to choose from, but in the end it's the distinctive, winning look that wins. That probably doesn't make sense, but hey.

Memphis... I guess the Grizzlies' black, brown, red, and teal...

Miami/Florida... Dolphins' aqua, white, and orange... the Heat haven't won much, the Panthers have faded away, and the Marlins' have won two World Series in the last decade. Guess who gets second place?

Milwaukee... Brewers' blue and yellow/gold... it's survived numerous uniform and logo changes... almost merged Milwaukee and Green Bay into one grouping, but decided it wouldn't be fair.

Minneapolis/Minnesota... Vikings' purple and gold... almost forgot the Vikings and went with the Twins lol... but then I remembered that audio clip "NOOO NOOO" hahaha

Montreal... Habs' red, white, and blue... again, not a tough call. Nice that the Expos wear it too... for now at least. Come to think of it, so do the Alouettes, but they've added silver to the mix... but really, there's no questions here.

Nashville/Tennessee... Titans' blues... Narrowly beats out the Volunteers orange and white. The Preds, for all their uniqueness in colour selection, aren't even on the map.

New Jersey... Devils' black and red... both the Nets and Devils' have had great success recently, but the Nets recent identity update, although a good update, hurts the colour familiarity. Maybe an American would see it differently, due to basketball's dominance over hockey.

New Orleans... Saints' black and gold... the Hornets are still too new, and people are slowly forgetting about the Jazz, meaning the Saints' black and gold wins.

New York... Yankees blue and white... it's been around for soo long, but the Knicks, Rangers, Islanders, Mets, Giants, and Jets all have readily identifiable colours, so this one was tougher than it should have been. Making it even tougher was the fact that the Knicks, Isles, and Mets all use similar colours... but the Yankees are perennial favourites, and you think New York, you think Yankees...

Oakland/Golden State... Raiders' black and silver... beats out the A's green and gold by the narrowest of margins... sorry Warriors, not even close...

Orlando... the Magic's blue, white, and black... they've changed uniforms a lot, but the blue's stayed, and hey, there's no competition...

Ottawa... Sens' red, black, gold... and now that the 'Gades use red and black, and the fact that the 67's do too, helps.

Pittsburgh... Steelers' black and yellow... one of the easiest choices, because the Penguins and Pirates use similar colours.

Philadelphia... Eagles' green and white... lots of diversity among the Eagles, 76ers, Phillies, and Flyers. Football wins because it's more popular than hockey in the states (no really?), and because the midnight green and white is more unique than what the Sixers or Phils wear.

Phoenix/Arizona... Suns' purple and orange... unique... the Coyotes and Cardinals aren't too much competition, and the D-Backs (despite having won a World Series recently and having a unique scheme) only lost because they're so new and baseball's lack of emphasis on colours... and the Suns haven't changed their central scheme in a looong time.

Portland... Trail Blazers' red, black, and white... although they're having image problems with their employees, Clyde the Glide and company helped establish a strong colour identity for the team...

Raleigh/Carolina... 'Canes red, black, and white... it also doesn't hurt that NC State wears similar colours...

Sacramento... Kings' purple and black... no competition, and the purple and black is relatively distinctive, and it's a competitive team... but yeah, no competition

San Diego... Padres' brown (sorry Shark)... they don't use it anymore, you argue? Unfortunately the powers that be in hip hop have decided to make this popular, meaning that this past look barely beats out the Chargers' powder blue and solidly knocks off the current Pads' look.

San Francisco... 49ers red and gold... again, baseball barely loses, this time the Giants' black and orange, to footballs more colour friendly environment. Joe Montana and Jerry Rice, or Barry Bonds?

San Jose... Sharks' teal, silver, and black... revolutionary look when it first came out, and they've perpetuated the image using the Tealtown moniker... and they're the only game in town.

Saskatchewan/Regina... 'Riders green and white... who else was it gonna be, the Pats?

St. Louis... Blues' blue and yellow... why, you say? Because the Rams' wore it, and still wear something close, and because the Cards barely lost, in part because red and navy is so prevalant in sports...

Seattle... Seahawks' dk blue and lime green... the little boys blue narrowly defeat the very recognizable green and yellow Sonics.

Tampa Bay... Bucs' red, pewter, orange, black... Distinctive, and they won a championship. And they were up against the Lightning and Devil-Rays.

Toronto... Leafs' blue and white... hockey rules in Toronto, and the Blue Jays and Argos use colours that vaguely resemble the Leafs

Utah/Salt Lake City... Jazz's blue, purple, and what all else... again, no competition.

Vancouver/BC... Lions' black and orange... I say so because in my mind, the Canucks haven't ingrained themselves as being dk red, dk blue, gray, and white... and the Lions have been orange and black (with silver helmets) for as long as I can remember.

Washington... Redskins' burgundy, yellow, white... sorry Ted Leonsis, but your cellar-dwellers got beat out by Joe Gibbs' latest project.

Winnipeg/Manitoba... Bombers' blue and gold... for now... if the Jets return, the town will once again be white (and not in a racist sense) for the blue and red Jets.

Quite possibly the longest post ever... any comments, adjustments, etc you'd make?

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

What about the Chiefs and Royals of good old Kansas City? ???

Honest omission, my bad. :D It's been fixed. I guess in analyzing almost 50 cities, I missed KC.

Mad Mac... I see your point. I guess I just consider North Carolina as one city, just so that there's some reasonable comparison. I understand where you're coming from, maybe I should change that up, but the fact is, when I hear 'Carolina', I think Carolina blue. The colour image that Carolina and Charlotte project is still Carolina blue in my opinion, regardless of the geographic proximity of the source of the image. Good catch though.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Hmmm-saw this on another board--thought it would be here too--

Just repling again to add the alouettes re-inforce Montreal's red, white & blue--You mentioned the other CFL teams and forgot them--oh well--good job on the list--th ones I have a definite association with you pegged.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

I'll throw scarlet and grey on the list for Columbus.  Since you broke into the college ranks a couple of times, I think you need to take Ohio State's colors over those of the Blue Jackets.

Grouping Milwaukee and Green Bay together does make more geographical sense than lumping all of "Carolina" together.  However, I support your choice of Tar Heel Blue.

Good work, SyPhi!

It's where I sit.

Granted, the Celtics are the most successful professional franchise in Boston. But ask the average person what team do they associate with Boston, and you'll probably get Red Sox for an answer.  Patriots too this week. The team has a color description of clothing in its name!

If all the city franchises were the same color scheme, I would go Red White and Blue over green and white. Most every team in Boston is red (reddish) or blue: BU, Northeastern, Harvard, Boston College, Boston Breakers (soccer and USFL) & New Engand Revolution.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I would say that if you associate colors with New Orleans, it'd have to be the Mardis Gras colors, Green, Purple and Yellow, like the old Jazz uniforms.

As a side note, the city of Pittsburgh's official colors are black and gold (yellow). Even the city flag uses these colors, and the bridges are painted in that color scheme as well. I always thought it was cool that all of Pittsburgh's pro teams use the same color scheme.

Calgary... Flames' red and yellow... from a Canadian perspective, the Stamps' red and white is close, but the Flames are clearly Calgary's main athletic export internationally

Almost all of Calgarys' other teams use the stamps color combo of red,white and black ie Roughnecks, the now dead outlaws. Although the U of C use the Flames colors

ManchesterCity_10Sig.png

I see your point that even though UNC is close to Raleigh, Carolina Blue work well for Charlotte. However, its a mistake to lump all of NC together. With the Hurricanes and NC State, Raleigh is definitely a Red, White & Black town.

That said, I think it's tough to suggest one color scheme for almost any city without bringing in a master negotiator. Pittsburgh, Toronto & Montreal work fine, but in other multi-team cities, you throw out at least one strong tradition.

I can't see any Boston team wearing any other team's colors. In LA, the Kings could easily go back to the Laker's purple & gold, but what do you do with Dodger Blue? I'd be torn if you asked me to put the Sabres in blue & red or the Bills in blue & gold. Imagine what kind of riots you'd have if the Yankees or Rangers showed up to play wearing orange!

And in other cities, you have team names that don't lend themselves to any kind of color flexibility. In particular, Cinicinatti and St. Louis (unless you dress the Rams in cardinal & blue).

Overall, I think it's great that you put the effort into the list, but it's nearly an impossible task.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

Hey Sy... for N'awlins... you forgot about the Hornets

Really, the Hornets are brand new to the City, the Saints are NFL and been around for years, no contest there

i didnt mean that i think that the saints should change to teh teal... actuially i think the black and gold scheme would look good on the hornets

GDB... Brothers from other Mothers

www.pifflespodcast.com

Some feedback on my two home towns:

--Seattle: Green, blue and silver. Mariners, old Seahawks, plus the T-Birds of the WHL all wear/wore these colors more or less. Sonics' current unis are ugly.

--Los Angeles: deep purply blue, white, maybe a bit of yellow/gold. Lakers originally wore this type of blue ("Forum Blue") with white. "Dodger Blue" has a surprising amount of purple in it (much like how Yankee blue or Oilers 3rd unis look black on TV). Blue and yellow works for UCLA (they've moved away from powder blue in recent years). Rams were originally deep blue and white, then blue and gold. Kings old logo was this color, though it looks purple on old TV shots.  This shade is also somewhat the "blue" of the Clippers as well, though their blue is all over the map.

--Seattle: Green, blue and silver. Mariners, old Seahawks, plus the T-Birds of the WHL all wear/wore these colors more or less. Sonics' current unis are ugly.

--Los Angeles: deep purply blue, white, maybe a bit of yellow/gold. Lakers originally wore this type of blue ("Forum Blue") with white. "Dodger Blue" has a surprising amount of purple in it (much like how Yankee blue or Oilers 3rd unis look black on TV).

I'd almost risk saying that the Seahawks' old colours still make me think Seattle more than the Mariners' oceantones (a new word!). But I still think that the new Seahawks colours, so strongly projected because of the AOC blue uniform and those green stripes (which almost glow in the dark).

Quick word association: Ask anyone "Los Angeles athletics of the last 30 years" and they'll come up with names like Kareem, Magic, Kobe and Shaq long before they mention any Dodgers.

Great feedback so far! Some adjustments have been made... Portland will soon be added...

I will mention the Hornets (although the Saints will still be #1)...

Despite the controversy, Green Bay and Milwaukee will be separate (I don't think 'Milwaukee' when I hear 'Packers', or vice versa)...

Marquette will not make the list (sorry Moser), but thanks for the reinforcement on having made the right call for Milwaukee...

Boston will change to the Bruins. I'd agree that Beantowners would identify more readily with the Sox, but colours-wise, the Celtics' and Bruins' are far more distinct and Bostonian IMO... and after considering it for a while, black and gold says Boston more than green and white does. Bourque and Orr beat out Bird in this one...

The New Orleans Jazz 'mardi-gras'-esque colours are very New Orleans, but I think the Saints colours have since ingrained themselves somewhat...

The wording of the Charlotte/Carolina entry will be changed to reflect the geographic concerns expressed...

Raleigh/Carolina will be added as 'Canes colours...

Can you believe I forgot about the Dolphins? I can, because they choked! :P J/K They still deserve top-dog status in Horatio Caine's precinct.

The total number of cities represented is now 52!

Keep the feedback coming!

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

"Nashville/Tennessee... Titans' blues... Narrowly beats out the Volunteers orange and white. The Preds, for all their uniqueness in colour selection, aren't even on the map."

You ever been to Tennessee? From Memphis to Nashville to Chattanooga, Knoxville and the Tri-cities, the whole state is painted in orange. Titans blue is barely a blip on the radar when compared to Volunteer Orange. Look at sports stores in Knoxville, Chattanooga and Memphis and you'll find tons more UT stuff than Titans. In Nashville, the difference isn't nearly as big as you would think.

"Nashville/Tennessee... Titans' blues... Narrowly beats out the Volunteers orange and white. The Preds, for all their uniqueness in colour selection, aren't even on the map."

You ever been to Tennessee? From Memphis to Nashville to Chattanooga, Knoxville and the Tri-cities, the whole state is painted in orange. Titans blue is barely a blip on the radar when compared to Volunteer Orange. Look at sports stores in Knoxville, Chattanooga and Memphis and you'll find tons more UT stuff than Titans. In Nashville, the difference isn't nearly as big as you would think.

No, I've never been to Tennessee. But this is how I view it, from an international perspective. Plus, we're talking Nashville here, the only reason I wrote "Nashville/Tennessee" is because the Titans chose to call themselves the Tennessee Titans... we're talking about the colour-image teams project on their cities, and UT may do a good job inside the state, but outside, the Titans are quite a bit more well known. At least, that's in my opinion.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Across the south, the Orange is far better known. The Titans are a newcomer to the Tennessee sports landscape and simply aren't very popular outside of the immediate Nashville area.

You also forget that in addition to UT football, Tennessee also has the top women's basketball team over the last 20 years with a fanbase that is strong all over the country and all over the world. While women's basketball may not mean very much to you, three Tennessee women's games are among ESPN's 25 highest rated sports telecasts ever.

As much as a Titans fan as I am, their popularity all over the southeast is small compared to the power of the orange.

Archived