So were the Phillies ever officially called "Blue Jays"?

BBM

Ok, I'm doing a little research here, and I'm getting so many mixed results, I'm not sure what's up. I had heard the Phillies have the longest standing nickname and city combo in all of NA professional sports. But, I thought they were called the Blue Jays officially for two years in the 1940s. I have several sources saying they were, but then others saying that was an UNOFFICIAL nickname, and all that changed were the uniforms (which still supposedly said Phillies) and a Blue Jay patch on the sleeves. I even have one source stating the name Quakers (their nickname from 1883-1889) was not official either, and the team has been officially known as the Phillies since 1883.

So, who's right? It's hard to know exactly which nicknames were official and which weren't.

Getting into older names, I found this site depicting name changes for every team since 1901. But some of the timeline (like Cleveland's names, or the fact they don't list the Superbas changing to Dodgers before switching to Robins, and then switching back) seems inconsistent, so I don't know what to make of that either.

So if anyone has some sort of official source on this stuff I'd love to see it. Thanks.

The answer is no, they were never "officially" called the blue jays. There was another thread around here that CC started where he was looking for information for his site, and this debate was settled once and for all (I think.) I forget what that thread was, but if you search for topics he started you'll probably find it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

i heard the braves were once the red stockings but have never heard of this

That's true, but not exactly the same thing. The Braves changed names (a couple times). They were also the Boston Bees for a few years in the 1930s:

The Phillies adopted "Blue Jays" in 1944 and 1945, but only as a second nickname. They never stopped being the Phillies.

As noted on the other thread, the Baseball Hall of Fame "Dressed to the Nines" Exhibit also shows that they never took "Phillies" off the front of their jerseys.

Here's what you won't find on the other thread - I just found a 1945 Phillies program up for auction that also demonstrates that they used both:

51353b.jpg

i heard the braves were once the red stockings but have never heard of this

That's true, but not exactly the same thing. The Braves changed names (a couple times). They were also the Boston Bees for a few years in the 1930s:

The Phillies adopted "Blue Jays" in 1944 and 1945, but only as a second nickname. They never stopped being the Phillies.

As noted on the other thread, the Baseball Hall of Fame "Dressed to the Nines" Exhibit also shows that they never took "Phillies" off the front of their jerseys.

Here's what you won't find on the other thread - I just found a 1945 Phillies program up for auction that also demonstrates that they used both:

51353b.jpg

Great find! You should send that to Paul Lukas.

Archived