Arkansas Tech "Wonder Boys" no more

cranium

Arkansas Tech is looking for new nickname that both the men's and women's teams can use. Right now, they have two separate nicknames: Wonder Boys and Golden Suns

See the story and vote for yourself:

ark tech mascot

Why didnt they just use Wonder Girls for the women's teams?

I think Long Beach State does the same thig with the Dirtbags and the 49ers.

Arkansas Tech is looking for new nickname that both the men's and women's teams can use. Right now, they have two separate nicknames: Wonder Boys and Golden Suns

ark tech mascot

According to the posting, they used to be the Wonderettes, before changing in the 1970s. I guess they might have considered the Wonder Women :D .

Anyways, the list of names that they are considering is rather interesting, a mix of other college nicknames and ones the Oilers considered before becoming the Titans.

ark tech mascot

I think Long Beach State does the same thig with the Dirtbags and the 49ers.

Dirtbags is a baseball only nickname, an unofficial one at that. The team is officially the 49ers but the university still markets both names, but only for baseball.

The Men's basketball team and other mens teams are still the 49ers.

I'm kinda glad they are doing away with 'wonder boys'. the first thing that comes to mind is a NAMBLA member.

Well between them and the Southern Arkansas Muleriders...

I voted for Greyhounds, too. Copperheads is good, as well, but I've spent many a fun, cheap night at the dog track (now "racino") in West Memphis, so some school in Arkansas should take the name.

I voted for comets just because it is uncommon in college sports. I associate greyhounds with the U. of Indianapolis and an evil HS in an Indy suburb, so I couldn't vote for that.

Being associated with an "evil high school" is, IMO, far better than being associated with a WNBA team.

They should be called the insignificants, because who has ever heard of Arkansas Tech? But seriously anything is better than the Wonder Boys; that has to be the worst nickname ever for any team in any sport at any level, period!

UT-Dallas is the Comets too and not just the WNBA Houston Comets. That's not what I first associated the name to.

cc_athletics_home_01.gifcc_athletics_home_02.jpg

Well of course there are other teams nicknamed the Comets, just like there are other teams nicknamed the Greyhounds (Loyola College in Maryland, for example). I would just think that a professional sports franchise, even if it were a WNBA team, would be a tad bit more well-known than either a D-III or NAIA sports team.

I'm kinda glad they are doing away with 'wonder boys'. the first thing that comes to mind is a NAMBLA member.

C'mon, their current nickname already has a built-in fight song courtesy of Tenacious D

"That's levitation, homes!"

C'mon, their current nickname already has a built-in fight song courtesy of Tenacious D

"That's levitation, homes!"

I know...I love that tune!

I vote for Arkansas Tech Inbreeders.

First of all, lets not digress into the whole Arkansas people are inbred and hillbillies, that is a stereotype and as a life long Arkansan, I resent it greatly (you wouldn't say anything offensive about somebody of a different race).

Now that i have vented, ATU is horribly insignificant. The state of Arkansas has and will always be the state of the Razorbacks. ATU and Central Arkansas have football games to showcase good band programs and ASU is just sitting there trying to find a niche between the Hogs and Memphis Tigers.

As for the nickname, none of those really fit the town of Russelville. Personally I would like to see something like Atoms since the campus is right next to the only Nuclear power plan in Arkansas.

Archived