MLB All-Star Game during Spring Training?

So_Fla

The caption on this picture says:

"Joe DiMaggio and Others

Original caption: A quarter of sluggers than which there is no whicher is shown comparing cudgels at the All-Star game in Tampa, where the stars of the National League shamed the American League constellation, 2-1. Left to right: Mell Ott, of the New York Giants; Ernie Lombardi, Cincinnati Reds; Joe DiMaggio, New York Yankees, and Jimmy Foxx, Boston Red Sox.

Image: © Bettmann/CORBIS

Date Photographed: March 18, 1940

Picture

The Giants trained in Winter Haven in 1940, the Reds in Tampa, the Yankees in St. Petersburg and the Red Sox in Sarasota. So it was possible all those players would be in Florida.

I have never heard of an All-Star Game during Spring Training, anybody else?

The caption on this picture says:

"Joe DiMaggio and Others

Original caption: A quarter of sluggers than which there is no whicher is shown comparing cudgels at the All-Star game in Tampa, where the stars of the National League shamed the American League constellation, 2-1. Left to right: Mell Ott, of the New York Giants; Ernie Lombardi, Cincinnati Reds; Joe DiMaggio, New York Yankees, and Jimmy Foxx, Boston Red Sox.

Image: © Bettmann/CORBIS

Date Photographed: March 18, 1940

Picture

The Giants trained in Winter Haven in 1940, the Reds in Tampa, the Yankees in St. Petersburg and the Red Sox in Sarasota. So it was possible all those players would be in Florida.

I have never heard of an All-Star Game during Spring Training, anybody else?

Whaaaaaaaa? :blink: I've seen some "old-school" sports writing, but what the hell does any of that mean? ("Quarter" is probably supposed to be "quartet," but "than which there is no whicher"????)

Archived