Minnesota Twins Concept

swilson160

I've never really liked the Twins' uniforms. Their "Win Twins!" logo is cool, as is the TC cap and the wordmark. But I don't like the M logo and I can't stand the color scheme. I'm not sure why, but it just gets me. So I decided to keep and tweak what works, and change what doesn't.

I chose dark navy and green for the colors because Minnesota has lots and lots of two things: trees and lakes. I tried a darker forest green, but it just looked boring. Both are primary colors for the team, and I tried to achieve a balance, with green emphasized at home and dark navy emphasized on the road.

There's a reason I used green at home. My idea is that the new stadium could be "turned green" at playoff time, much like the Miami Heat with fans in white and the Golden State Warriors with fans in yellow. It will really add to the home field advantage if they have a whole stadium wearing that bright a shade of green.

The uniforms have the TC logo instead of the Minnesota wordmark; since they are roads, they need to represent the team location and I thought the TC for Twin Cities worked for that. I didn't like the wordmark; Minnesota is a long word to fit on a jersey comfortably without the type being too small.

I tweaked the logo, removing the baseball and repositioning the wordmark. Many other tweaks and changes abound. C&C, please...

Twins-Sheet-1.png

Twins-Sheet-2.png

Twins-Sheet-3.png

I think you have #47's & #57's skin complexions wrong....

I tlike the overall concept, but I'd still like to see all the green as red(except the green jersey needs to be baby blue). The Twins are red, white & blue and anything else seems wrong.

As a die-hard Twins fan and Minnesota nationalist who's recently proposed his own turn-the-Twins-green concept, I have a couple of reactions to this:

1. In terms of proof-of-concept on the color balance, you've nailed it in one. Nice work.

2. Where my pinstripes at? This franchise has worn pinstripes for all but a few seasons since 1912. Why scrap such a longstanding core of the team's identity? This team won two of the three greatest World Series of all time wearing pinstripes. For the decade or so that the Twins went pinstripe-free they were a joke of a club. Also, the lack of pinstripes gives the whole uniform set an uncomfortable Cleveland-esque aesthetic. It's one thing to take a classic visual identity and throw it away. It's another to turn around and make a team look like Cleveland.

3. I can live with the Twins wearing a TC logo. But there is no excuse for going to the effort to make this really interesting concept but recycling the current TC logo. It's a crappy logo, which statement I think is almost beyond debate. It doesn't show up well on a cap. The T clashes badly with the T on the home script, which I normally wouldn't mind so much except that they're the first letter of the same word in each instance. The C is just a Cincy wishbone. Come up with a new, improved TC logo that actually look like it belongs to the same baseball team as the rest of the uniform and I think you'll have something close to the ideal Twins uniform.

4. Why the new number font? What about the current number font do you not think works? With no serifs or pinstripes, the numbers you've chosen give the jerseys a slightly loose, undefined aspect. But perhaps you have a good reason that I haven't thought of.

5. Personally, I don't like numbers on the left chest of right-chest initial jerseys. Put the number below the logo on the right, or don't put the number on the front.

6. The worst thing about the current Twins uniforms, and the thing that would most justify any redesign, is the proliferation of multiple alternates. Your concept has at least one alternate too many. Kill the road alt, at least. I won't begrudge you the home alt, since everyone seems to believe that teams need alts to sell, though the fact that the Yankees regularly lead merchandise sales despite having no alt makes me wonder at the wisdom of that judgment. Anyway, point is, the extra blue alt makes your concept muddled. Looks scattershot and thrown together, not carefully thought out.

7. I would be very sad if the Twins had no M-logo cap at all. When I want to show my Minnesota pride, a TC cap just doesn't cut it. Sticking with the TC logo only makes the uniform all about the team, not about the location. In my book it's only a step or so away from Baltimore or Milwaukee wearing the team name on their away jerseys. Just a philosophical note; I sort of expect teams to fulfill the civic function of giving fans recognizable merchandise that can stand for local pride in addition to team cheering-on. Doesn't really affect the goodness of your concept.

Anyway, as far as the general outlines and use of color, I think you've got a great concept.

20082614447.png

First, Torii Hunter is #48...not #47.

Second, I just don't see the point in changing the Twins' colors. It's nice execution and all, but with the history of the red and navy in the franchise's history, it just doesn't make sense to make them into a clone of the early 90s Timberwolves.

I think it's a great idea. I wish more teams would change up their colors, something to go with the area they are from. There are way to many teams with red, whith and blue and even more than that with the same ol' dark blue and medium blue caps. Change 'em all up I say!

6. The worst thing about the current Twins uniforms, and the thing that would most justify any redesign, is the proliferation of multiple alternates. Your concept has at least one alternate too many. Kill the road alt, at least. I won't begrudge you the home alt, since everyone seems to believe that teams need alts to sell, though the fact that the Yankees regularly lead merchandise sales despite having no alt makes me wonder at the wisdom of that judgment. Anyway, point is, the extra blue alt makes your concept muddled. Looks scattershot and thrown together, not carefully thought out.

7. I would be very sad if the Twins had no M-logo cap at all. When I want to show my Minnesota pride, a TC cap just doesn't cut it. Sticking with the TC logo only makes the uniform all about the team, not about the location. In my book it's only a step or so away from Baltimore or Milwaukee wearing the team name on their away jerseys. Just a philosophical note; I sort of expect teams to fulfill the civic function of giving fans recognizable merchandise that can stand for local pride in addition to team cheering-on. Doesn't really affect the goodness of your concept.

I have to echo 'Wonk's last 2 points for emphasis. I'm as staunchly anti-alternate as they come, but I understand that most teams just have to have them to sell more gear. So be it. But an alternate, by definition, should be something to wear as a change of pace every now and again (Sundays, holidays, day games) to break up the monotony of the primary uniforms. By definition then, an alternate doesn't need an alternate. Home, road, alternate should be more than sufficient. By going with 4 jerseys, you're giving a team far too many options for the simple task of getting dressed and playing a baseball game. In a worst case scenario, no jersey is worn more than 40 times a year; how is that going to allow an identity to form for the team when they're wearing different uniforms every other game?

And I know many people have a love for the "TC" caps. I'm not one of them. As long as the team is named the Minnesota Twins, the monogram ought to reflect the name of the team. The "TC" doesn't represent the area that the team calls home, but merely a subsegment of it. If they want to be the Twin Cities Twins, then by all means, use the "TC". But they claim to play for the entire state, so the "M" monogram should be used.

Just my 2 cents; I've warmed to the idea of the Twins going to green. I've been a Twins fan for far longer than I can remember, and thanks to concepts like yours and 'Wonk's, I can see them looking really good in green.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Archived