What is "modernization"

Hat Boy

Actually, with the exception of losing the ring, I think the Northstars are an example of how not to modernize a logo. It gets progressively clunkier as they add more and more to it. Especially, as you say, the clunky black outline.

In the first one, the lines of the star match up with those of the arrow. Moving away from that, in my opinion, was a huge mistake.

My first teacher at my current school who's been a graphic designer for many years and even worked in animation for Warner Brothers, said that a good artist can update and modernize a logo ever so slightly and you'll never even notice it.

My first teacher at my current school who's been a graphic designer for many years and even worked in animation for Warner Brothers, said that a good artist can update and modernize a logo ever so slightly and you'll never even notice it.

The folks here will notice anything. But unless the average fan sees the two Dolphis and Seahawks logos side-by-side at the same time, he's not going to notice a big change.

I would argue that most attempts to swap a dated look for a more current look are "modernizations" at all. Rather, they're redesigns, which is to say a ground-up effort to communicate a new team identity, not an effort to ensure that the existing team identity is more clearly communicated with current design cues.

Take the Buffalo Sabres, for example. That was not a modernization. That was a redesign. The old Sabres design was all about communicating to fans, "You have no idea what the hell this team is supposed to be about." The new design opted instead for communicating to fans, "We have no idea what the hell this team is supposed to be about." Completely different team identity being communicated. When you set out to say something different with the logo and uniforms, that's not a modernization. That's a redesign or an overhaul or an NBA franchise every third year.

20082614447.png

Here is a great example of modernisation af a sports logo, while still giving it a retro look and feel.

bilde2uq3.png

New Tottenham Hotspur logo, introduced for the 06/07 season.

TottenhamCrest.jpg

Old one, used from the nineties.

ricardovilla158x158bn1.jpg

Example of Ricky Villa (late seventies/early eighties player) wearing an old kit with the logo that's the inspiration for the current one.

This is the way to go imho.

spuradd55td9.jpg

I'd say Seattle did a good job of "unmodernizing" the prior Space Needle logo and going with the current-S they have. More reminiscent of the early ball and skyline they used to sport.

Ooh, I hate the current Sonics logo. The S and the ball would make a nice secondary logo. But as a primary, they just slap some text next to it and call it a day. There's not enough to it to make a good primary logo, IMO. I feel the same way about the Rockets.

Everyone talked about the Yankees NY as an example of a good logo, but that's just their secondary too...

the niners' modernization was almost perfect.... but why did they make the red so damn purplish/

That was also my initial reaction, until I saw one of their red authentic jerseys in a store and got an instant hard-on for the color. IMO it is one of the most beautiful shades of red used in pro sports.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

bglogos.jpg

i'm partial, but I think this was a pretty good modernization. The old logo was from the seventies and while unique was looking dated. The new retail logo, which will be the primary logo takes the same outline and uses many of the same form figures to create a new falcon head.

What are everyone's critical eye thoughts on this update?

fade.gif

What I have found lately is that alot of teams will try to modernize their logos but they will leave out the factors of previous identities. (see the buffalo sabres, new york islanders and vancouver canucks)

None of those three examples are modernizations. Those three teams all completely re-did their identities. A modernization is solely based on a single logo or uniform (or set) and just doing tweaking it (whether it's just changing the color or adding an outline to it) to make it look similar but modern. When a completely different logo with completely different colors is used, that's not modernization. That's an overhaul.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

That depends. Are they using both the "traditional logo" and the "retail logo"?

They initially said they would use traditional logo with official team gear and use the retail logo only on retail items. . but now it seams that the retail logo will be the only logo thus phasing out the other two.

evolution.jpg

fade.gif

Sort of like how a 20 year old car may be perfectly functional and even attractive, but it will still look slightly out of place on the street, where the average car is only 5 years old. An '89 Crown Vic may be pleasing to the eye, but when one rolls by it's impossible not to notice how out-of-date its design is.

The car example is right on. Think of the cars you thought looked awesome 15 years ago. Some still look okay, but the just have a dated feel when put on the road with all the newer cars.

And I'm on board with the 49ers update as one of the best updates in recent memory. They slightly tweaked the colors and logos, but the overall look and feel is unmistakeably Niners. I even thought the white pants looked okay trying to build on the '94 Super Bowl look. (Of course, the gold pants are even better.)

Well whatabout a DeLorean?

Back_left.JPG

IMG_9979.jpg

IMG_9992.jpg

De_Lorean_BTTF.jpg

Best...modernization...EVER!

This post has been edited by zer0dotcom on some time in the future

FBI_Bar.jpg

women_lover.gif

Didn't the modernization have a flux capacitor?

1.21 JIGAWATTS! :shocked:

You know, the funny thing is I wasn't referring to the "modernization" of the DeLorean, I was posting about it in response to the comparison of seeing an old car that looks outdated today.

Sure, it's old, but I think it looks sharp. The way the back just slopes and the shape of it. Man, I wish I owned one. I actually saw one driving by back a few months ago. I'm thinking, "Dude, someone actually owns a DeLorean, right near Philly!"

bglogos.jpg

i'm partial, but I think this was a pretty good modernization. The old logo was from the seventies and while unique was looking dated. The new retail logo, which will be the primary logo takes the same outline and uses many of the same form figures to create a new falcon head.

What are everyone's critical eye thoughts on this update?

I agree that this is a good look for the falcons...They did a great job with it. I'll be looking for a hat with the new look.

Archived