Verdana Question

ABCJr

I don't know what got me thinking about this, but it occurred to me that I could recognize several logos that have used popular Microsoft fonts, like Times New Roman, Arial and Comic Sans. But, given the widespread use of Verdana, does anyone know of any mid-to-major company that has used Verdana in its logotype?

No, I am NOT considering it.

God, I hope not. Verdana (like Tahoma) is a screen font. It was specifically designed for readability in small font sizes with good hinting for the constraints of pixels.

Verdana looks ridiculous in print. A substitute for Frutiger? If Adrian Frutiger were dead, he'd be rolling in his grave.

I thoroughly agree. It just sort of occurred to me that people use system fonts pretty extensively in logos or what would be considered company wordmarks. It surprised me, though, that few people actually seem to use Verdana, even though it is very popular.

BTW, I worked at McKesson when they had made a logo switch to their current wordmark that is based on Frutiger. I was in the middle of designing some instruction books for our program and asked for Frutiger so that the books could comply with standards. I was told to use Verdana by the marketing team of all people because "it looks similar." Yikes.

So I was just curious if any of you knew of companies, even big ones, that have used Frutiger in their identity.

Ok, found a couple:

brand_officegopher_logo.gif

logo_verdana_womensme.gif

logo_verdana_print.gif

logo_blue_400_verdana_resize.gif

I found a few others, but I think I was most bothered by the OfficeGopher one since a design company compiled the identity. There is just SOMETHING AWFUL about this font being used as a logotype.

Well, I guess that answers the question. Despite a ridiculous number of logos that feature Comic Sans, Copperplate, Arial, Times New Roman and the like, there just don't seem to be that many that feature Verdana. Am I the only one who thinks that is weird (I'm probably the only one who cares...).

That one could also be Tahoma - the two fonts do look similar.

Tahoma is actually an edited version of Verdana... I had to do a project on typography in university and this is one of the things I found out in my research.

That one could also be Tahoma - the two fonts do look similar.

Tahoma is actually an edited version of Verdana... I had to do a project on typography in university and this is one of the things I found out in my research.

You learn something new everyday...I honestly thought it was the other way around. :)

I didn't realize that, either. I figured they were related, but not in that way.

I've been looking more and more for instances of Verdana usage in print. Not much luck, though I'm realizing that everyone and their mother is in love with Gill Sans MT.

Archived