Gretzky LA Kings Jersey Retirement Patch

benpc21

Back on October 9, 2002, the LA Kings hosted the Phoenix Coyotes in the first game of the 2002-03 season and the Kings retired Wayne Gretzky's jersey. For that game, the Kings broke out the old white version of the Chevy logo jerseys from the early 90s and each team had a patch to commerate the game. The Coyotes had a black version, and the Kings a white one. I'm looking to find a white version of the patch so in the future I can replicate a jersey from that game. I don't know if these patches were ever sold or not, just looking for information. I've contacted Spyboy on this issue, since he seems to be the guy with knowledge of patches around here, but figured I would post this to see if anyone else had any leads. I know there is a blurry photo of the patch in the Kings section of the logos, if anyone has a large clear photo or even a digital version from the Kings website or something, I would appreciate it alot. I've done numerous searches on the net, but come up with very little. I'm afraid these weren't relased to the public, and which is why a digital copy would be great, as I could have it made into a patch if worst come to worst.

phogretzretire.jpg

norton99lakgretzretire.jpg

Thats what I was thinking. Its hard to tell if the patch the Kings had was two or three color numbers. If I do have to replicate it, I was hoping to have the press release graphic or something along those lines so its accurate, but if need be, I'll try to mock it up.

I've contacted Spyboy on this issue, since he seems to be the guy with knowledge of patches around here

I've never, ever heard of one of those patches in the public, real or replicated.

How would you go about getting it made?

I had originally been thinking a iron-on/tranfer type patch on a piece of twill as I have seen in your collection. After reading your PM, the idea to try to make it seems actually pretty easy.

Spyboy pointed out to me, "If it weren't for the words on the bottom, it's just jersey sleeve numbers made to a smaller size and something I'd just ask my customizer's to sew onto it. Too bad about the words. That complicates things."

Really what I think will work great, is if I can get my hands on the measurements of the patch and get some LA Kings sleeve numbers made a bit smaller. If I cant find the exact size, the 3" front numbers on my new sabers jersey seem small enought to work. I would then take a piece of twill to a local embroider, and get them to put the date in arc, then get them to zig zag stitch the smaller sleeve numbers to the piece of fabric, cut it in the desired shape and put that bad boy on a jersey. It really doesn't seem to hard, just gonna take some time, money, and a little more research. Hell, I like this idea so much I might have to do a black version for a coyotes jersey I have. I've always wanted a Claude Lemieux jersey.

EDIT:

Dammit! I forgot there was an NHL logo on there too, that makes things harder. I thought I had this nailed! Unless I can get the embroider to do that too, I don't know how that works. Thinking about it, I'd rather have a patch with the numbers and date and no NHL shield, than a transfer. Even though I'm a stickler for accuracy, the shield is small enough its not a huge deal if I go without. I think I could replicate it without the shield and people would never know.

Archived