New England Patriots (Just Updated)Again!

aragin66

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Historically incorrect.

I cannot believe that I agree with patsox...

Anyway, he is correct. The real "Pats" fought the RED COATS, so a red jersey for the NFL's Pats would be just plain stupid.

The only thing that is "just plain stupid" is agreeing with patsox. To be historically accurate, you'd have to let the players wear whatever jerseys they had in their closet. You see, the "patriots" that fought the British soldiers at Lexington and Concord were private citizens. They didn't wear any uniform, they wore whatever they owned. I don't think it would be smart to let a team wear mis-matched uniforms for the sake of historical accuracy.

patsox, when you are done here, why don't you take it over to an Ole Miss board and tell them that Confederate soldier wore gray and Union soldiers wore blue. Tell them you expect the the university to change their colors from red/blue to gray and that you expect a football concept up within the hour.

I agree, but the NFL would NEVER allow that! :P

Not a big fan of this. I think a modification of the set used just before the current set would be great. I'm somewhat indifferent to the current logo, but returning to Pat Patriot is the wrong move. I prefer blue jerseys over the red. The shoulder striping on this set looks odd, and the pant striping just doesn't seem to work. Finally, the red facemask brings better color balance to the helmet. Of course, this is just one man's opinion (I can only speak for myself anyway :D) . Keep at it. Cheers.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

Ahh, Icecap. The Patriots in red jerseys. This brings back some fond memories, doesn't it? :D

Yep ^_^

You have to admit it though, if Toronto ever gets a team, names them the Red Coats, and play the Pats with red vs blue action going, it would rule. Of course the NFL would never allow two teams to wear coloured jerseys, even if they do contrast, but I can dream can't I? :D

To be historically accurate, you'd have to let the players wear whatever jerseys they had in their closet. You see, the "patriots" that fought the British soldiers at Lexington and Concord were private citizens. They didn't wear any uniform, they wore whatever they owned.

Yep, these American officers really look mismatched:

Yorktown80.JPG

patsox, when you are done here, why don't you take it over to an Ole Miss board and tell them that Confederate soldier wore gray and Union soldiers wore blue. Tell them you expect the the university to change their colors from red/blue to gray and that you expect a football concept up within the hour.

Again, please don't remind me that Patsox agrees with me. It makes me feel dirty.

Anyway, last time I checked the Ole Miss Rebels have dropped the Confederate connection. Even if you do insist that they keep the CSA connection, their uniforms would require little change. All they would have to do would be to ditch the blue jerseys, make red the primary secondary colour on the roads, and add some grey trim. The primarily red scheme would work for a team named after Confederate soldiers, given the nature of the CSA's battle flag. As long as they stay clear of blue jerseys they're golden.

Again though, it's all a mute point as the Ole Miss rebels have dropped the Confederate connection.

In the sports world, historical accuracy, hell, contextual accuracy means exactly dick.

The Texas Rangers, who used to, and still do, patrol the outlands of Texas wearing their sharply adorned baseball hats with giant T's on them.

The White Sox don't even wear White Sox.

The Blue Jackets who fought in the Civil War were easily identified by their green bugs who also wore blue jackets.

Just because a team was named after something historically pertinent, in no way shape or form means that the team should limit their aesthetic vision because of that.

And the Patriots, in red jerseys, is aesthetically pleasing. It's a good look, and I'd love to see a red third jersey, or for them to wear the throwbacks every year.

Arguing a team's aesthetic look on historical grounds is pretty patsox-level and is very possibly the dumbest argument ever seen on these boards, and that covers a lot of ground.

As for the concept, I like it, but the numbers really look out of place. They look really mid-90s and feel outdated instead of classic. Either blocks or their current numbers would probably fit better.

If you wanted to incorporate something from the Parcells-era, what about the pants striping that was designed from the new logo? Always loved that.

With this one I figured that I would go with the old colors. I tried to use parts of uniforms from the last 20 years. the colors and sleeve stripes of the 80's, the fonts of the 90's and the logo of today. I know I shouldn't combine looks, but I always loved the patriotic colors. I did keep the silver helmets, but I replaced the red faceguards with blue ones. Enjoy..and if you say something mean..i'll come haunt you in your dreams.

Pats.jpg

Okay sorry that im not historically acurate..just trying to recapture the old Patriots look. Well I made some adjustments..enjoy.

Pats-1.jpg

Now with blue helmet

Pats2.jpg

I like these! My only concern is the upside-down tapering of the shoulder stripes. I know they're meant to give a more consistent match with the logo, but I'm not sure how that would look on an actual uniform. Love the red.

In the sports world, historical accuracy, hell, contextual accuracy means exactly dick.

The Texas Rangers, who used to, and still do, patrol the outlands of Texas wearing their sharply adorned baseball hats with giant T's on them.

The White Sox don't even wear White Sox.

The Blue Jackets who fought in the Civil War were easily identified by their green bugs who also wore blue jackets.

Just because a team was named after something historically pertinent, in no way shape or form means that the team should limit their aesthetic vision because of that.

And the Patriots, in red jerseys, is aesthetically pleasing. It's a good look, and I'd love to see a red third jersey, or for them to wear the throwbacks every year.

Arguing a team's aesthetic look on historical grounds is pretty patsox-level and is very possibly the dumbest argument ever seen on these boards, and that covers a lot of ground.

Look, if you don't agree with a point of view, that's fine, but don't demean, insult, ridicule, etc... those who do agree with that point of view.

The Texas Rangers' look may not currently reference their historic namesake's look, but they have in the past. Also, while their current look may not exactly reference the real Texas Rangers law enforcement organization, their look doesn't contradict their historical namesake either.

The White Sox, while they do need to go to white socks, doesn't really fit into the whole historical context argument.

The Columbus Blue Jackets have since ditched the bug logo, as well as all traces of lime green from their look. They now sport a look that references their Civil War namesake. Heck, even when they had all of that lime green, the bug wore a blue Union soldier's uniform.

As for the Patriots, if they didn't use Revolutionary War imagery I wouldn't have a problem with them sporting a red jersey. If they simply used a stylized eagle, a stars and stripes shield, thirteen stars, or anything else that's generically American I wouldn't mind a red jersey.

As it is, however, the Patriots draw on the American Revolutionary War soldier for their identity. As the American "patriots" during the ARW fought the British, who wore their famous red coats, a red jersey for the New England Patriots should be out of the question.

Yes, the silver alternates the Pats wear now sucks. Still, a red just doesn't work IMO. Besides, who says they need an alternate?

Besides, do you need an other reason why the Pats shouldn't adopt a red alternate?

In red, they lost Super Bowl XX 46-10 to the Chicago Bears. For most of their existence in red they were the joke of the league.

In blue they've been to four Super Bowls, and have won three.

That's called uniform karma.

In red, they lost Super Bowl XX 46-10 to the Chicago Bears. For most of their existence in red they were the joke of the league.

That's exactly why the Patriots should never wear red uniforms ever again. Red uniforms will only bring bad memories to New England fans (who are the ones that really matter).

Pats in red = loss.

Brits in red = loss.

Therefore! Men in red fighting in New England = loss.

With this one I figured that I would go with the old colors. I tried to use parts of uniforms from the last 20 years. the colors and sleeve stripes of the 80's, the fonts of the 90's and the logo of today. I know I shouldn't combine looks, but I always loved the patriotic colors. I did keep the silver helmets, but I replaced the red faceguards with blue ones. Enjoy..and if you say something mean..i'll come haunt you in your dreams.

Pats.jpg

Okay sorry that im not historically acurate..just trying to recapture the old Patriots look. Well I made some adjustments..enjoy.

Pats-1.jpg

Now with blue helmet

Pats2.jpg

I think you are on to something here. The basic idea is a really good one imo. Personally I always like the all blue Pat the Patriot hat (which kills me as a native NYer and Jet fan). But it is really sharp. Can you try that on an all blue helmet? I don't like the nineties numbers though. I think a team with the amount of Superbowls as the Pats should try something less gimmicky (which is why they could probably use a new uni anyway). The flying elvis logo is not as good as the past uniforms they had, and I always thought of Boston as a more traditional area than what the Pats use now. Just my 2 cents, but I like where you are going. Even if you combine a somewhat modern feel to their more traditional stuff.

I would love a better logo, like the Somerset Patriot one. This is a great Patriot!

patriots_logo.gif

pats can wear whatever they want, as long as they don't wear literally red coats :)

just as the red sox can wear navy blue jerseys if they want, or green st. patty's jerseys, as long as they wear RED SOCKS...

thats why the white sox are idiots, and why the pats can wear red uniforms.

just not red coats.

pats can wear whatever they want, as long as they don't wear literally red coats :)

just as the red sox can wear navy blue jerseys if they want, or green st. patty's jerseys, as long as they wear RED SOCKS...

thats why the white sox are idiots, and why the pats can wear red uniforms.

just not red coats.

You make a good point, but the fact of the matter is that the Pats have historically performed awfully in red.

not a fan of New England, but I love these concepts. I would like to see a white helmet though. Also the whole historically acurate thing should be overlooked. ther are no green eagles, blue lions, teal jaguars, ect in reality. besides americans are referred to as patriotic and our colors are red, white and blue, not blue, red and white.

93-94canucks.jpg

As much as I'm chomping at the bit to get it on this historical argument... Eh, what the heck.

If you wanted an "accurate" look, think blue jerseys, subtle red piping, and cream knickers. Heh, why not add a three-cornered hat for good measure?

All kidding aside, I like this concept a lot. I feel it blends the eras nicely. While I applaud the lack of drop-shadow on the numbering, I'd like to see maybe the current font or even the original. The Super Bowl 31 font is "meh" at best.

Would it be wrong for me to suggest the Patriots try a "Revolutionary" Nike design? :P

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

That's exactly why the Patriots should never wear red uniforms ever again. Red uniforms will only bring bad memories to New England fans (who are the ones that really matter).

Uniform Karma my New England Ass... its called steve grogan wore the red jerseys and they lost to walter friggin payton, and tom brady wore the blue jerseys and beat kurt warner, jake delhomme and donovan mcnabb... the patriots have been an amazing team in recent years and theyve been wearing blue jerseys for over 10... it was bound to happen at some point...

Archived