Please help get rid of the Sabres new logo!

daschuck77

Please take a moment to visit, read, and contact the Sabres regarding this crappy logo.

I want to see John Slabyk's celsius logo at www.NewBlueAndGold.com replace the current logo on the current uniform and that way, when the alternate third jerseys return, the Sabres can have a complete line of merchandise that would be able to sell...

I don't see the slug logo outselling anything this year, now that the team has been rocked by losing Briere and Drury...

Plus with all the other Edge jerseys coming out, forget about the Sabres having the number one selling jersey in the NHL. Larry Quinn caught lightning in a bottle on that one...The team started out 10-0 and played well all year long...he took advantage of all that buzz and band wagoning. Besides, most people were waiting for the vintage jerseys to be sold and if I am not mistaken the NHL did not distinguish the sales between the vintage and the slug uniform.

Please help us out! It makes good financial sense for the Sabres to do this sooner than later. Please fill out a clip n' mail too!

Thanks.

All the best,

Charlie

www.SabresNotSlugs.com

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Charlie, thanks for posting this. I don't like the Sabres' new crest logo at all.

You know what? Would you like this? I would like to see for the dark home jersey the classic Sabres logo return a little larger in size and in the new colors and a thicker white outline around it (like the Islanders did with theirs). Then get rid of that ugly silver stripe thing on the sleeves. I'd lose the secondary logo on the shoulders. I would keep the yellow panels under the armpits and white outlining that exists. Keep the nice nameplate and numbering fonts. And waa-la! The ideal new Sabres jersey because you get the best of the old and new!

For the white road jerseys, I don't believe you'd have to change much of anything with the jersey except the logo, but also bigger and with a thicker matching blue outline.

I wish I was a graphic artist, otherwise I'd show you myself what I'm talking about. Maybe someone else could create a concept of what I described.

Lastly, I'm with you on this. I totally am against this "Buffaslug" logo and hopefully the team rids themselves of it.

Please take a moment to visit, read, and contact the Sabres regarding this crappy logo.

I want to see John Slabyk's celsius logo at www.NewBlueAndGold.com replace the current logo on the current uniform and that way, when the alternate third jerseys return, the Sabres can have a complete line of merchandise that would be able to sell...

I don't see the slug logo outselling anything this year, now that the team has been rocked by losing Briere and Drury...

Plus with all the other Edge jerseys coming out, forget about the Sabres having the number one selling jersey in the NHL. Larry Quinn caught lightning in a bottle on that one...The team started out 10-0 and played well all year long...he took advantage of all that buzz and band wagoning. Besides, most people were waiting for the vintage jerseys to be sold and if I am not mistaken the NHL did not distinguish the sales between the vintage and the slug uniform.

Please help us out! It makes good financial sense for the Sabres to do this now and not alienate any more fans. Please fill out a clip n' mail too!

Thanks.

All the best,

Charlie

www.SabresNotSlugs.com

header.jpg

Just to ask: aren't you a little late to the party?

They've had this look for a year now and because of it were the top selling merchandise team(or at least close to the top) because of it. Hardly a reason to cry foul now if the team's made it's money.

Please help us out! It makes good financial sense for the Sabres to do this now and not alienate any more fans. Please fill out a clip n' mail too!

Thanks.

All the best,

Charlie

www.SabresNotSlugs.com

header.jpg

Your opinion is not representative of all Sabres fans. Get over it already.

I don't have numbers (nobody does), but I suspect the majority of fans that care the least bit about their teams visual identity (there's plenty of sports fans who like their team, care about the people within the organization, and that's it--and that's also just fine..those are the more important parts of an organization) do not care for that logo in the least bit.

A lot of people have decided they like the uniforms (not me--I'm not a Sabres fan though), but I don't think many have changed their minds on that logo.

It was #1 because the team was good, it was a brand new look, and it was a return to the traditional colors of a traditional organization. Fans that hated the logo still bought the merchandise.

I'll accept the reasoning that the Sabres won't change the look because fans are buying it.

But I won't accept the reasoning that because fans are buying it it means they like it.

It simply means they care more about supporting their team than they do the visual identity of the team, as they should.

I support this efforts. Buffalo needs to get this right. Sabres fans need not let this look grow on them, they should do what they can to get rid of it.

It disappoints me fully that the many, many Toronto Blue Jays fans that hated their new look when it was unveiled have let it grow on them to the point where they really like it. I mean, the Jays logos and such really aren't so bad, but the colors in the uniform and the fact that they abandoned tradition sucks, and I just wish their fans would have stuck to their guns instead of just deciding those were their new logos, they better like them. That said, they're the fans, they can do what they want, I've got no authority in the matter.

I just hope Sabres fans don't follow that same trend.

All of this said, I return to the vintage sweaters is far from what's needed as well. JS designs need to be the starting point.

Everyone remembers the Islanders fisherman logo...Well that thing was selling as high as number 4 in 1996 when it came out...and they were a terrible team.

People are upset with Larry Quinn's honesty over such things as losing Drury and Briere and the lack of frankness with the logo design. With the Capitals and Bruins, they were more than upfront about the design, testing, and implementation process of their new looks. This logo is a symbol of Larry's lack of regard for the Sabres fans and the tradition of Sabres hockey...

If Buffalo fans had a choice, they would have picked Slabyk's Celsius logo nine times out of ten over the current one. I'm not late to the party...I gave it a year to "get used to it", like Quinn said in all of his sketchy interviews and still hate it...So I spent all the money I would have bought on a Sabres sweater and decided that I would like to support John and his logo to be stitched on the current jersey. Why should I feel so obligated to buy something I have to "grow to love"...or "get used to"?!?

I could possibly see the same thing happen with the Sabres new logo. I still scratch my head when I look at it...and get disgusted at people who tell me to get over it...you're not a true fan. None of this is whining...I believe it makes better business sense if they change the logo now...If the Sabres' play goes down the tubes again, we may see Rangers fans throwing Chiquita bananas at the Sabres at MSG instead of fishsticks.

I too can copy a $200,000 logo design. All you need is a template of two terrestrial mollusks in intimate embrace...and a sharpie marker.

img001.jpg

I despise the sluggalo and will not buy and merchandise with it. I would love to get rid of it and erase it from the Sabres history but not for any of the designs you're suggesting. I know they're big hit on the Sabres fan boards but that doesn't mean they're the answer. Also, the Sabres cannot use an unsolicted design, so his meeting with Quinn was window dressing from the start. All design goes through Reebok and the NHL. If Reebok hired him to create some ideas as an outside consultant then sure he could bring them to the table. However, because they've been out there so long it would be highly unusual and unprecedented to my knowledge for something like this to happen. Is it possible? sure it is, anything is possible. I wouldn't bet on it though, so I'd rather see your grassroots movement just concentrate on getting rid of the Slug and not worry about the replacement.

I checked out your website and you should delete something, J.Patton is NOT the designer of the logo. J.Patton is a company that provides storage of styleguides, logos and embroidery service to licensees. Do your homework before you have people emailing a company that has nothing to do with it. The Slug was designed

by Reebok's teams sports division in conjuntion with the Sabres creative services department.

For what it's worth, I just want the original logo as is. Maybe slightly modernized like

the Seahawks did, but nothing drastic. It's simple, it says everything and it's classic.

GET OVER IT

Why in the history of any board or forum is this the best any naysayer can come up with...

Intelligently in a few complete sentences, tell me why I have to get over it...

I spent the last 10 years dealing with the Goathead. I don't feel like waiting another 10 years for something that its way worse than the goathead to go away.

I'll accept the reasoning that the Sabres won't change the look because fans are buying it.

But I won't accept the reasoning that because fans are buying it it means they like it.

It simply means they care more about supporting their team than they do the visual identity of the team, as they should.

Nah... there is plenty of throwback blue-and-gold to buy if they wanted to show their support of the team. Seriously, if the Cardinals abandoned the birds on bat for some crazy update, you'd feel the need to buy all new merchandise because otherwise you wouldn't be supporting the team?

I know if the Cubs did something like that, I'd still be wearing the jerseys and caps I have now. (For example, I didn't touch that new BP cap with earflaps... and I prefer a blue '80s Cubs road to the current road, so I never bought one.) I buy what I like, not what the team tells me to like. I don't think that makes me less of a fan.

Again, good luck, daschuck. I don't fault you for your efforts. I just don't think it will make a difference. Ultimately, I hope the Sabres fans get what they want, whatever that may be. I think an arena full of old blue and gold/yellow would do a lot more than one full of slugs.

Nah... there is plenty of throwback blue-and-gold to buy if they wanted to show their support of the team. Seriously, if the Cardinals abandoned the birds on bat for some crazy update, you'd feel the need to buy all new merchandise because otherwise you wouldn't be supporting the team?

I know if the Cubs did something like that, I'd still be wearing the jerseys and caps I have now. (For example, I didn't touch that new BP cap with earflaps... and I prefer a blue '80s Cubs road to the current road, so I never bought one.) I buy what I like, not what the team tells me to like. I don't think that makes me less of a fan.

Again, good luck, daschuck. I don't fault you for your efforts. I just don't think it will make a difference. Ultimately, I hope the Sabres fans get what they want, whatever that may be. I think an arena full of old blue and gold/yellow would do a lot more than one full of slugs.

Thank you CubsFanBudMan. One of my good friends lives in Elmhurst.

I would hope the Cubs NEVER change their looks! That would be blasphemy. I know they tweaked the away jerseys quite a bit over the last 20 years. For whatever reason, you see a lot of teams abandon Royal blue as a primary color in their primary uniforms...the Bills did it, Sabres, the Brewers, Seahawks, Blue Jays...all for a darker blue. Apparently it's a more trendy color to sell, but I think there would be another Chicago fire if the Cubbies changed too.

The site is only my opinion and hate of the slug, support for John Slabyk's concepts, and a desire to also keep the vintage logo involved in the Sabres uniform package. People can disagree all they want, but I do not accept, "Get over it" as an acceptable form of criticism. I still am a fan of Sabres hockey and always will be. What I spent to build the site covers what I would have spent on Sabres merchandise. I don't buy their new version of the vintage because they group their sales together and to me with that number on the front, its not authentic to me as a vintage. I believe the sales information is inaccurate and does not include a distinction between alternate and new logo merchandise. They said sales were up 900%...sure 900% over a uniform that was on the market for 10 years...or course sales will drop off and then will explode because they returned to blue and gold.

I'm pretty sure that the Sabres' will not have a number one or even top 5 selling jersey this season. First the Edge jerseys iare in town and people would be flocking to buy them from the old school teams (Canadians, Red Wings, Flyers, Bruins, Maple Leafs). Sabres fans, or a large majority already blew their wad buying theirs last season (and some are still waiting on back order). Second, without Drury and Briere, there will be no buzz around the team like they had last year with their strong start. Third, Sabres fans will have no choice but to sit through this season with only the slug to stare at...I think folks will be longing for the vintage after what could be a long, frustrating season.

I was a little dismayed when I saw the leaked Sabres logos that people call the slug when it was just on a logo sheet. When it was translated to the uniforms, it looks much better. I learned to like it.

I made the same mistake with the capitals new logo. I thought it was hideous, but then I saw it on the jersey and it looks right.

Good luck tilting at windmills.

Everyone loves a roundel.

Archived