Philadelphia F.C.

Shumway

I got bored during class the other day and sketched this up, so I decided to give it a go in Illy. I wouldn't call it entirely finished, but I'm at the point where I feel some good c&c'll help me finish it up. I'm not sold on the name "Liberty", but I figured it beats Philadelphia F.C. To me, it's missing something, but that's where I suppose you guys come in. Once I get the rest of the logo figured out, I'll get some unforms going.

C&C por favor

PhillyFC.png

You know, I think that'd what's bothering me about it. I think if I get rid of the white parts on the right side of the bell, it'll look better. I might keep the ones on the left, but who knows. I've got some playing around to do. Until tomorrow, or whenever the hell I get back to this.

I know that logos don't need to be 100% accurate, but are you just making up buildings there? I recognize 1 Liberty and Mellon, but where is 2 Liberty and Bell Atlantic? Also, you really do need to include Comcast since it already dominates the skyline though it is only ~80% complete.

Assuming you add those in the same style you did the others in, this will be a fine logo - however the wordmark appears like it belongs with something else, and was just slapped onto the bell. Maybe lose the highlights.

Edit: upon further review, adding Comcast would screw up the symmetry. If that is important, maybe add it but make it appear smaller than 1LP. Call it "creative license."

I know that logos don't need to be 100% accurate, but are you just making up buildings there? I recognize 1 Liberty and Mellon, but where is 2 Liberty and Bell Atlantic? Also, you really do need to include Comcast since it already dominates the skyline though it is only ~80% complete.

Assuming you add those in the same style you did the others in, this will be a fine logo - however the wordmark appears like it belongs with something else, and was just slapped onto the bell. Maybe lose the highlights.

Edit: upon further review, adding Comcast would screw up the symmetry. If that is important, maybe add it but make it appear smaller than 1LP. Call it "creative license."

BBTV, you had it right the first time. If you're going to add a city skyline, you have to accept that it's going to be asymmetric. Philadelphia has spent the last 2 decades building a skyline to the point where it's become easily recognizable (though I admit my bias, since I see it every day). Using the skyline as a design element means implicitly that it's being used for the purpose of reinforcing the connection between the team and the city it plays in. Philadelphia's skyline, while recognizable, isn't as iconic as those found in NYC, San Francisco, Chicago, Seattle or Las Vegas, so anything that compromises factual correctness compromises identifiability, which is counterproductive here if you're using the skyline to represent the city. If you're not going to display the actual Philadelphia skyline, why display a skyline at all? At best, it's a generic, invented city; at worst, it confuses the viewer, even if they're from Philadelphia. (Yes, I know the Mets took liberties... but the NYC skyline is iconic; Philadelphia's isn't... yet.) If you're so concerned with symmetry, dump the skyline and focus on one iconic building - which, in Philadelphia, is Independence Hall.

I can't find the actual picture I used for the skyline, but thi one has the same buildings, as far as I can tell. The only thing is, they're in opposite order....so I guess my skyline's backwards, or this picture's backwards.

Philly%20Skyline1.jpg

Thanks for the comments, I'll work on it a bit later and probably repost tonight or tomorrow afternoon.

My initial sketch actually had the skyline replacing the top of the bell, but I like this way better. Also, I haven't read anything regarding the font/wordmark...does this mean i made a decent one for once?

I can't find the actual picture I used for the skyline, but this one has the same buildings, as far as I can tell. The only thing is, they're in opposite order....so I guess my skyline's backwards, or this picture's backwards.

Your picture is taken from southwest of Center City looking north and over the Schuylkill. Your badge appears like it's looking south from Spring Garden. There's no "wrong way" to place the skyline; my most common perspective is coming over the bridges from South Jersey, which isn't represented by the picture or your badge. Of note, 2 of the more iconic buildings on the western edge of the skyline are curiously absent on your badge - the PECO building (the one with the wraparound messageboard, closest to the Schuylkill on the eastern side of the river) and the new Cira Centre over by 30th Street Station (clunky looking, few right angles, lights up blue at night), just west of the river.

And the font works well, by the way.

EDIT: skyscraperpage.com is a pretty good resource for Philadelphia and pretty much any city in the world with a building taller than a single family home. Good data (even if it's in metric), drawings, and lists of all kinds of other useless trivia I thrive on - fantasy buildings and the like. The only thing it doesn't do is give you addresses of these buildings, but a Google search ought to remedy that. Happy browsing...

That reference picture was undoubtedly taken from near the South St. / University Ave exit of the Schuylkill. I know, I've taken a hundred just like it. Unfortunately, like VD said, it cuts off the Cira Centre to the left, and is too old to include Comcast. Here's a more recent pic (not one of mine) from near that same location (it also doesn't extend far enough left, but you'll see Comcast. Note that it is around two blocks and 15 feet down-"hill" from 1LP, that's why it appears shorter.)

original.jpg

It may be easier to use a pic. looking from the East, as seen from this shot from New Jersey (also not mine.) I think the skyline is more recognizable looking from the E / W as opposed to the N / S.

0707-02.jpg

Off topic (sort of):

VD, don't confuse "iconic skylines" with "iconic buildings." Honestly, you could take any collection of shapes, make two higher than the others, make one of those a flat-top-pyramid shape (Hancock), and slap two spear-like antennas on each of them, and call it Chicago's skyline. Also, you could take that same collection of buildings, make one of them taller than the others, and give it a stepped-top like the ESB, and then make a skinnier (but shorter) stepped-building with a spire (Chrysler) and call it NYC. Those cities both have wonderfully dynamic skylines, but it is only because of each of their two iconic buildings that they are recognizable in sports logos.

Note that I'm qualifying my statement to the world of 2-or-3-color logos / drawings, not RL photographs.

Seattle falls into this category too - just a bunch of rectangles with the Space Needle mixed in somewhere. I'd disagree about SF - Transamerica is not iconic enough to distinguish their skyline in two-color logos, and their height restrictions make it tough for them to really develop an iconic landmark.

I'm a bit confused about the Comcast building. Is it in any of the pictures posted in here? Is it the huge one that's being built in this picture because I found a better picture to use, but that's not in it:

0707-02.jpg

Yes, it is the "huge" one. 975' vs. 1LP's 960'.

Here is a forum where the building is being discussed. People regularly post skyline shots and renders, so you should find all you need there.

BTW - My username is "The A Train"

I like this. But I think I would drop the skyline, and just use the top of Independence Hall. While the new skyline is rapidly catching up with other cities, since the height restriction was lifted a few years ago, if you showed a silhouette of the skyline to most people they wouldn't be able to tell what city it is. A top 3rd of Independence Hall would sit nicely on top of the bell.

http://www.mccullagh.org/db9/950-9/indepen...-hall-front.jpg

Yes, it is the "huge" one. 975' vs. 1LP's 960'.

Here is a forum where the building is being discussed. People regularly post skyline shots and renders, so you should find all you need there.

BTW - My username is "The A Train"

Thanks for that link. I think I've got an acceptable picture/rendering here:

43596890.jpg

I'll probably slide Comcast over a bit to avoid the big gap between that and the Peco(?) building. I'll see how Indy Hall turns out too.

Archived