Philadelphia F.C.

Shumway

Mellon. The gap is between Comcast and Mellon. Peco is the black rectangle with the scrolling message on top. Sorry to be nit-picky, but I scan skyscraper forums, draw pictures of skyscrapers, take pictures of skyscrapers, etc. all day long.

Your project is of significant interest to me as I've been working on a new banner the forum I run, and it will have a silhouetted skyline shot very similar to yours. Here is the rough draft. The look I'm going for is inspired by Tempest's sig. I don't have any good software (nor the time to learn how to use it) so I did that prototype in Microsoft Excel.

Obviously, I took some artistic liberties, and have a lot of improving to do. I'm really interested to see how well you pull off the skyline logo.

Good luck.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Mellon. The gap is between Comcast and Mellon. Peco is the black rectangle with the scrolling message on top. Sorry to be nit-picky, but I scan skyscraper forums, draw pictures of skyscrapers, take pictures of skyscrapers, etc. all day long.

Your project is of significant interest to me as I've been working on a new banner the forum I run, and it will have a silhouetted skyline shot very similar to yours. Here is the rough draft. The look I'm going for is inspired by Tempest's sig. I don't have any good software (nor the time to learn how to use it) so I did that prototype in Microsoft Excel.

Obviously, I took some artistic liberties, and have a lot of improving to do. I'm really interested to see how well you pull off the skyline logo.

Good luck.

I was thinking it was a bank building, but I could only think of Wachovia, and I knew that wasn't it. Regardless, I like what you did witht he subtle details. I thought about doing something like that, but I'm afraid it won't match the rest of the logo. I might still see how it turns out and post maybe 2-3 options for draft #2.

I added some labels to BBTV's pictures; hope this helps.

philaskyline.jpg

1 - Commerce Square, 2 conjoined towers built around 1990 IIRC. Toward the western end of Center City.

2 - Bell Atlantic Building. 5th tallest building in the city, built around the same time as Commerce Square. IIRC, it is the northernmost of the major skyscrapers.

3 - G. Fred DiBona, Jr. Building. Home of Blue Cross/Blue Shield, also called Blue Cross Tower. Originally was to be twin towers. 6th tallest building in the city, and the southwesternmost, which makes it easy to see from UPenn and South Street Bridge.

IMO, all of these buildings, plus the Liberty Place Towers and Comcast Towers must be on here; I could also lobby for the PECO Building and Cira Centre [not pictured] on the very western edge of the skyline.

philaskyline2.jpg

Skipping the more obvious ones:

6 - PSFS Building - the 2nd tallest building in Philadelphia behind City Hall, for decades. Still easily visible from the Jersey side of the Delaware. Now a Loews Hotel on 10th Street. A landmark, if only to the locals and New Jerseyans old enough to remember when Billy Penn had an obstructed view of the city.

7 - Mellon Bank Center. Easily recognizable and seen from almost every angle.

8 - City Hall. Still the tallest city hall in the US, and was the limit through the mid-'80s. Iconic, even if it's shorter than the newer buildings by hundreds of feet. Unimpeded to the east.

11 - Bell Atlantic/Verizon Tower. A better view of its location relative to the others.

#9 and #12 are more for historical reference (Aramark Building, and 1 South Broad/PNB), and wouldn't be a part of a skyline rendering - at least not in 2007, anyway.

Andy - you were right; iconic buildings would've been a better choice than iconic skyline. Poor choice of wording on my part. That is a great site; I need to stop and reclaim the rest of my night.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Nice logo Shumway3319. But if you were thinking about coming up with a name for a big league soccer team in Philadelphia (I assume you were thinking of MLS, right?) might I sugest the name Philadelphia Athletic?

Two reasons for this. 1) There are teams in Europe and South America who use the name Athletic in describing their teams (Charlton Athletic, Wigan Athletic, Atletico Madrid, Atletico Mineiro in Brazil, Quilmes Atletico Club in Argentina, etc.). And 2) it would pay homage to baseball's Philadelphia Athletics (Oakland A's today), who played in the American League in the first half of the 20th Century and won more league championships for Philadelphia than any other team before or since.

And as for using a type of blue and gold colors in your logo, check out Philadelphia's city flag, which has a type of blue/gold/blue combination you might want to try.

And as for using a type of blue and gold colors in your logo, check out Philadelphia's city flag, which has a type of blue/gold/blue combination you might want to try.

Shhh! Quiet you! Concept elves are at the drawing board with a coincidental, yet poorly timed concept for a Philadelphia soccer team that may or may not borrow from the city flag! :P Be cool, yo...

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

The colors were based off of Philadelphia's flag - I just opted for different shades of blue and gold. As for the name, I don't like how the MLS Eurostyles the names of its teams, so I'll probably leave it as the Liberty.

Thanks for labeling the buildings, VitaminD. That helps a ton, since I'm kind of looking for a "straight on" view of them. I can now find each one individually.

Little update(well, not really), but I've been having some computer problems recently, so I haven't been able to really get back into working on the concept. Just figured I'd let anyone who cares know why I haven't posted updates yet.

• 2 weeks later...

I suppose it's about g'dern time I updated, since I finally got my computer close to normal. I worked on the skyline for a bit, and noticed that I liked the concept about 10 times better simply without the skyline. So I went that route, and have a few color options, seeing if I can work in light blue, which, I figure, I'll have to switch to a yellow rather than metallic gold, although I might see if I can do a UCLA scheme that works. Anyways, here's a few ideas I had for colors.

I still think it needs something, like across the front, but I'm not coming up with anything at the moment. I tried stars, and as much as I liked them, I figure there's gotta be something better. Any thoughts?

PhillyFC2.png

I know it's a little cliche, but what about including the edge of a soccer ball along the bottom, as if it were the clapper?

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

First I would say get rid of the highlights in "LIBERTY". At that size they just clutter things up. More than anything across the front, I think you need to fill in the blue space either side of the bell. I don't know quite how that would be achieved but I think it would help to complete the design.

I hope/think I've got it this time, so here goes, complete with uniforms. I added some shooting stars and a "1776", as someone suggested earlier. For the uniforms, I simplified one of the adidas templates. Anyway, here goes:

PhillyFCfinal.png

Love the color scheme, the crest, and the kits...might want to place a sponsor on the front, but not necessary. These are truly awesome.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

I got bored during class the other day and sketched this up, so I decided to give it a go in Illy. I wouldn't call it entirely finished, but I'm at the point where I feel some good c&c'll help me finish it up. I'm not sold on the name "Liberty", but I figured it beats Philadelphia F.C. To me, it's missing something, but that's where I suppose you guys come in. Once I get the rest of the logo figured out, I'll get some unforms going.

C&C por favor

PhillyFC.png

Very Cool Logo. But if I might suggest another name in the same vein as the Houston Dynamo's original proposed idea:

Philadelphia 1776

If one team could pull off a number for an identity this would be it.

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

I got bored during class the other day and sketched this up, so I decided to give it a go in Illy. I wouldn't call it entirely finished, but I'm at the point where I feel some good c&c'll help me finish it up. I'm not sold on the name "Liberty", but I figured it beats Philadelphia F.C. To me, it's missing something, but that's where I suppose you guys come in. Once I get the rest of the logo figured out, I'll get some unforms going.

C&C por favor

PhillyFC.png

Very Cool Logo. But if I might suggest another name in the same vein as the Houston Dynamo's original proposed idea:

Philadelphia 1776

If one team could pull off a number for an identity this would be it.

cough76erscough

Archived