Vick indicted

hrivnak

It?s already been written thoroughly and in no uncertain terms here. But I?ll echo it anyway to try to further get the point across. ANY time you?ve seen money and fame help someone squeak out of charges it has been local law enforcement doing the losing. That is, as someone said?..the Law & Order scenario where a high-minded D.A. wants to make headlines and take down a big fish, even if their case isn?t rock solid.

Mike Vick IS rich. But he is not wealthy. The difference in income level between Martha Stewart (whom the Feds brought down on MUCH lesser charges) and Vick; is similar to the difference in come level between Mike Vick and me. It wouldn?t shock me if those people were 50 to 100 times richer than Vick.

Martha Stewart and the Enron guys were billionaires with any conceivable earthly resource available to them?..and they LOST.

The idea of the Feds losing a case is embarrassing and intolerable for them. Not an option. Vick is going down for this. And as for the idea that this trial may take two years like OJ or Kobe??..I dunno. Somebody referred to that district in VA as the Rocket Docket. (They don?t horse around. They scream through cases) It may be the interstate commerce portion, or the tax evasion portion or the gambling charges that ?technically? get him. But this is all over but the crying.

I?m not sure we should read much into Goodell?s press release. If he and Blank have spoken they could have agreed that any preemptive action has to come from the Falcons, so that Roger?s new policies don?t seem flexible or open to interpretation. And Blank may be mulling it over?talking with attorneys and cap guys and so forth. As much as you or I would like an emotional response from the team, they have to weight the pros and cons (no pun intended) of taking the $7M cap hit this year ($15M next I think) and talk about how they?d fill out the roster and field a team.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of my favorite NFL players has really let me down. No, not Vick, I've never been a fan of his. Based on his comments in today's Atlanta paper, count me as a former Joe Horn fan:

"Mike is saddened about the tension this is going to cause the team," Horn told the Journal-Constitution on Thursday night. "I assured him I support him, the rest of the guys support him and the team supports him. Whether he's guilty or innocent or whether you believe he is, time will tell."

It'd be understandable for him not to blast Vick publicly or to say nothing, but if you're going to speak out, you'd better distance yourself or at least say you're disgusted by the charges. Instead all he can talk about is what's best for Mike and the team. That really surprised me 'cause usually Joe is big on personal accountability. Oh well.

As for those who cling to the belief that Mikey can beat the Feds, here are some figures for 2004 - apparently the most recent available - from the Justice Department's website. I've highlighted some relevant numbers.

-----

Adjudication

* During 2004, criminal cases were commenced against 92,645 defendants in U.S. district court. Most (88%) were charged with a felony offense.

* Cases were terminated against 83,391 defendants during 2004. Most (90%) defendants were convicted. Of the 74,782 defendants convicted, 72,152 (or 96%) pleaded guilty or no-contest.

Sentencing

* Of the 74,782 defendants convicted and sentenced during 2004, 78% were sentenced to a term of incarceration (either alone or in conjunction with probation), 15% were sentenced to probation (either alone or with incarceration), and 4% were sentenced to pay a fine alone.

* The average prison sentence imposed during 2004 was 60 months. Defendants convicted of violent felonies (96 months), weapons felonies (84 months), and drug felonies (84 months) received the longest prison terms, on average.

-----

Mike's going to need some moves to get out of this one.

Edited to add:

Interesting letter from Blank to fans on the Falcons website. And what an interesting choice of photographs at the top of the page. Vick standing by himself with the rest of the Falcons in the distance. Subtle, huh? ;)

They have to have a billion pictures of him and yet they chose that one. Hmmm....

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

You have to realize that's one quote chosen by a reporter. Maybe the question he was asked was specifically about Vick's effect on the team. It's not like he called a press conference and said "here are all my feelings on the matter." Also, he may have said more than that and the reporter just chose that quote. It's kind of ridiculous to condemn a man for what he DIDN'T say in ONE newspaper article.

Anyway, Blank's message says absolutely nothing.

And, the new Falcons website is horrible.

That is all.

You have to realize that's one quote chosen by a reporter. Maybe the question he was asked was specifically about Vick's effect on the team. It's not like he called a press conference and said "here are all my feelings on the matter." Also, he may have said more than that and the reporter just chose that quote. It's kind of ridiculous to condemn a man for what he DIDN'T say in ONE newspaper article.

Anyway, Blank's message says absolutely nothing.

And, the new Falcons website is horrible.

That is all.

I like the new Falcons website, even if it did crash my IE7. :D

Reminds me of the new Portland Trailblazers' site.

"Mike is saddened about the tension this is going to cause the team," Horn told the Journal-Constitution on Thursday night. "I assured him I support him, the rest of the guys support him and the team supports him. Whether he's guilty or innocent or whether you believe he is, time will tell."

How is that bad? What are his teammates supposed to do? Throw him under the bus? Though I do understand your feelings on the matter, I think he's saying that as it pertains to his primary job: Playing and winning football games.

And the Falcons new website is alright. Kinda wish that they had used more red, though.

There are too many Entertainers....sports....actors.....musicians...that think they are above the law......I could ramble on but...if you have the Status and the cash....you can buy your way out of almost any crime....Its pretty much a fact.......sad but true...I also dont know if dog fighting is ..organized crime ....but what has happened here is........wether Vick was involved or not is just awfull.....like I said...I grew up in that area and dog fighting was no secret in the rural areas...a person I had known had a pit named chopper......a retired dog thad had a tooth from another dog imbedded in its skull......sick....upon ending with this post ...and it will be my last on this subject.....no one is above the law......Falcon quarterback or pizza maker.........use your head and make the right choices in life.......common sense will tell you that dog fighting...drugs....murder..... is not something you want to involve yourself with.....but I have one question.....who would be able to defend themselves better....the pizzamaker or the quarterback........one has dough....one has cash.......

I'll just say that Vick's best bet is that the Feds are too busy trying to keep Congress off their arse over other "issues" to effectively prosecute the case.

Note: that will, at best, only buy him some time, though.

*Looks at even more loaded Federal docket, goes back to plotting out "Plan B" for removing another corrupt and stupid Illinois Governor from office.*

---------------------------------------

I appreciate Nike's position where they condemn cruelty to animals. I guess humans are fair game in their book, though... <_<

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I'm not surprised Vick wasn't suspended. And I don't think he should at this point. There is this thing called due process that I think needs to be followed. Like people have said, the Pacman situation is different due to the amount of run-ins he has had with the law.

Yeah, everyone is entitled to due process, except when they aren't.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

my whole thing is the proof in having dead dogs found buried in shallow graves on your property is enough for me. personally i think if Arthur Blank wants to avoid having a PR disaster at his games and training camp, he better talk to Vick about taking a leave of absense as to not be a distraction to his team. This is a sick individual that we're dealing with. To me he shouldnt have the priviledge to play football again. At the very least he is guilty of not knowing or caring about what goes on on his property.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

I like his intensity and spirit.

Michael Vick cards up for auction

The winner of this lot can either have the cards OR DECIDE HOW I DESTROY THEM. I CAN FEED THEM TO THE DOGS, ELECTROCUTE THEM, SLAM THEM, DROWN THEM, SHRED THEM, SHOOT THEM WITH BUCKSHOT, FLUSH THEM, BURN THEM or whatever you can think of (within reason). I'LL MAIL THEM TO THE WINNING BIDDER AFTER THEY ARE DESTROYED.

MICHAEL VICK SHOULD BE THROWN OUT OF THE NFL AND INTO THE SLAMMER!!!!!!!

100% of this auction will be giving to the SMALL DOG RESCUE & HUMANE SOCIETY IN ATLANTA, GA.

Shipping for DESTROYED CARDS will be free. If you want them for your collection (undestroyed) shipping will be $2.00.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

They've got his replica jerseys on sale on Eastbay for $30.00. and the replithentics for $50.

I am seriously being tempted to buy one, only because I don't have a black Falcons jersey (already have a red Dunn, white Vick.)

I did not realize just how serious this case and charges against Vick were. I understood that he owned the property but didnt really follow the events that led to him being indicted. My previous posts were just my opinion and thoughts on the case and I am sorry that I didnt do a little more homework before I shot my mouth off. After watching ESPN Sunday morning , I was blown away with the severity of the Vick case as well as the Pac man deal. Thank you folks here for setting me straight .

Thanks...

puckhead42

I did not realize just how serious this case and charges against Vick were. I understood that he owned the property but didnt really follow the events that led to him being indicted. My previous posts were just my opinion and thoughts on the case and I am sorry that I didnt do a little more homework before I shot my mouth off. After watching ESPN Sunday morning , I was blown away with the severity of the Vick case as well as the Pac man deal. Thank you folks here for setting me straight .

Thanks...

puckhead42

Vick ordered by Goodell to not report to camp until the league reviews the charges.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2946832

Finally! An opportunity to break out the theme music (see bolded part)...

http://sportsbybrooks.com/michael-vick-to-...eport-13419.php

BREAKING: The FOX-TV affiliate in Atlanta reports "The NFL says that Michael Vick will be taking a leave of absence."

UPDATE: Fox Sports reports Roger Goodell will force Vick not to attend training camp (via DEADSPIN). The ASSOCIATED PRESS confirms - with a statement from Goodell.

Meanwhile, SbB has learned that Vick will probably make an announcement to take a year-long leave of absence on Friday.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Buried in all the Vick hoopla is that Falcons DT Jonathan Babineaux was charged with killing his girlfriend's dog around the end of last season. Apparently, he was pissed off at his girlfriend, so he took it out on the dog. It's interesting that this story got almost no press, while Vick's is all over the place. Granted, they are different, but it just shows how the media only cares about the "stars" of the league.

What's happening to my team?

Archived